Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 18, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #14,431 of 15,268
I struggle to understand your generosity...though I applaud it.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to give my 3-4 yr old X2 to anyone under any circumstances.
I've collected far too many headphones this year due to lockdown boredom. The X2 we're getting the least use. But I bought the Sennheiser HD660s recently, and I find overall I prefer the X2HR, so it HD660 out X2HR back I'm.

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #14,432 of 15,268
Exactly correct in all respects.

When I bought my X2s nearly 4 years ago, a debate was raging about glued vs unglued X2 pads; and which company (Woox vs not Woox) was branded on the box. There has been a mini-tempest raging on Amazon.com with some buyers irate over receiving X2s with glued pads & other defects.

I thought myself extremely lucky to purchase a new-in-unopened-box pair of X2s w/non-glued pads and the right company branding (forget what that was--but it was OK). They were perfect straight out of the box and satisfied me greatly starting at first listen.

Really haven't heard anything in past 3 yrs or so about glued pads on X2s or X2HRs. I think it's a non-thing/thing at this point.

FWIW, if I were looking to get a Philips Fidelio at this moment, I'd beat the bushes for a new X2HR and stay on the sidelines, maybe a long time, re the X3. I just don't like things I'm reading about that one. And given Philips history, the X3 may change, possibly a lot, before this is over.
My biggest beef with the X3 are the reports of the propriety balanced cabling. So you have to use their crappy cable and can't just use a standard balanced dual 3.5mm. that alone means I'll never touch it out of spite and stubborness

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #14,433 of 15,268
My biggest beef with the X3 are the reports of the propriety balanced cabling. So you have to use their crappy cable and can't just use a standard balanced dual 3.5mm. that alone means I'll never touch it out of spite and stubborness

2.5mm TRRS is a standard for balanced audio. My Onkyo DAP uses it, as do Pioneer DAPs, Astell & Kern, etc. You could always adapt the 2.5mm to something else (XLR, 4.4mm Pentaconn, etc.) Dual 3.5mm isn't more of a standard for balanced audio than any of the others. You could have someone make a custom cable for you if you wanted too since the cable is replaceable.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #14,434 of 15,268
2.5mm TRRS is a standard for balanced audio. My Onkyo DAP uses it, as do Pioneer DAPs, Astell & Kern, etc. You could always adapt the 2.5mm to something else (XLR, 4.4mm Pentaconn, etc.) Dual 3.5mm isn't more of a standard for balanced audio than any of the others. You could have someone make a custom cable for you if you wanted too since the cable is replaceable.

It's the solution when connecting the cable to the headphones that's the problem. It seems as if Philips have made some non standard solution there. I'm to lazy to find (and to old to remember) all the details but it's covered in the X3 thread.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #14,435 of 15,268
Off the top of my head I thought they were dual 3.5mm, but as the other Peter123 points out, it's not the cable as such, it's the way they've wired the headphones internally. It's a non-standard. There seems to be now explanation as to why, it's not like Philips are known for their sales of additional cables.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #14,436 of 15,268
Off the top of my head I thought they were dual 3.5mm, but as the other Peter123 points out, it's not the cable as such, it's the way they've wired the headphones internally. It's a non-standard. There seems to be now explanation as to why, it's not like Philips are known for their sales of additional cables.

I realize we're a little off-topic talking about the X3 wiring in the X2 thread and I apologize, but I just wanted to make it clear that there is no standard way to wire two 3.5mm TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) plugs going into the cups of a stereo headphone. Different brands of headphones do and can wire them differently. I skimmed the thread, and the X3 are wired the same way as the V-Moda Crossfade, but not like the Hifiman Sundara. Neither V-Moda nor Hifiman are deviating from a standard, and different companies have their reasons for choosing how to wire their cups. For instance, the Onkyo A800 also uses dual 3.5mm TRS to their cups, and they wire so that if you accidentally swap the L and R cables, neither side will connect and you won't get any sound. Perfectly fine way to do it.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #14,437 of 15,268
I realize we're a little off-topic talking about the X3 wiring in the X2 thread and I apologize, but I just wanted to make it clear that there is no standard way to wire two 3.5mm TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) plugs going into the cups of a stereo headphone. Different brands of headphones do and can wire them differently. I skimmed the thread, and the X3 are wired the same way as the V-Moda Crossfade, but not like the Hifiman Sundara. Neither V-Moda nor Hifiman are deviating from a standard, and different companies have their reasons for choosing how to wire their cups. For instance, the Onkyo A800 also uses dual 3.5mm TRS to their cups, and they wire so that if you accidentally swap the L and R cables, neither side will connect and you won't get any sound. Perfectly fine way to do it.
Very interesting to know thank you 😊

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #14,439 of 15,268
Hi. What is the difference between Gibson's X2HR and TPV's (aka Envision, MMD HK Holdings) X2HR? Interested in quality control and differences in sound. Has anyone compared them?

I have both and can tell absolutely no difference

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #14,440 of 15,268
Can anyone tell me to what extent I will experience a change in sound (signature/FR, clarity, detail, soundstage, imaging) if I replace the stock pads with the Brainwavz XL (110mm) Round Microsuede earpads?

I've had a pair of the X2HR's for a few weeks now, and I absolutely love their sound and so much about them, but I find the stock velour earpads to be unbearably itchy on my ears and head. I have read from various sources that micro-suede pads don't cause itchiness for people who get itchiness from velour, and I've seen multiple people (including on here) say that the Brainwavz XL Round pads fit quite well on the X2's and X2HR's. My concern here is whether the switch to the new earpads with the different material will significantly affect the sound of the headphones. My hope is that since micro-suede is a breathable fabric material like velour, it won't change much about the sound.

Does anyone have experience with switching the X2's or X2HR's to the Brainwavz XL Micro-Suede pads and what, if anything, that does to their sound?

Alternatively, does anyone who experienced similar issues know of a good fix for the unbearable itchiness caused by the stock velour pads?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #14,441 of 15,268
Can anyone tell me to what extent I will experience a change in sound (signature/FR, clarity, detail, soundstage, imaging) if I replace the stock pads with the Brainwavz XL (110mm) Round Microsuede earpads?

I've had a pair of the X2HR's for a few weeks now, and I absolutely love their sound and so much about them, but I find the stock velour earpads to be unbearably itchy on my ears and head. I have read from various sources that micro-suede pads don't cause itchiness for people who get itchiness from velour, and I've seen multiple people (including on here) say that the Brainwavz XL Round pads fit quite well on the X2's and X2HR's. My concern here is whether the switch to the new earpads with the different material will significantly affect the sound of the headphones. My hope is that since micro-suede is a breathable fabric material like velour, it won't change much about the sound.

Does anyone have experience with switching the X2's or X2HR's to the Brainwavz XL Micro-Suede pads and what, if anything, that does to their sound?

Alternatively, does anyone who experienced similar issues know of a good fix for the unbearable itchiness caused by the stock velour pads?

The XL pads are actually a bit too big for the X2s. The fit is quite loose and they've got a tendency to wobble around a bit if one's not sitting still when using them. The oval BW pads are a better fit imo.

Soundwise the oval pads has a bit more bass impact compared to both the stock and XL pads. This is probably because of a better seal (I've got the gaming pads) as I've got a small head and don't get much help from the headphones to press the stock pads enough towards my head.

The XL pads has a bit less bass that the stock pads as well, probably due to the loose fit.

I do think that the XL pads is the best sounding though, albeit by a very small margin.

If I was to permanently change the pads on the X2s I'd probably sacrifice the stock pads and mount the oval ones on the ring instead.

20201124_123532.jpg20201124_123343.jpg

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #14,442 of 15,268
The XL pads are actually a bit too big for the X2s. The fit is quite loose and they've got a tendency to wobble around a bit if one's not sitting still when using them. The oval BW pads are a better fit imo.

Soundwise the oval pads has a bit more bass impact compared to both the stock and XL pads. This is probably because of a better seal (I've got the gaming pads) as I've got a small head and don't get much help from the headphones to press the stock pads enough towards my head.

The XL pads has a bit less bass that the stock pads as well, probably due to the loose fit.

I do think that the XL pads is the best sounding though, albeit by a very small margin.

If I was to permanently change the pads on the X2s I'd probably sacrifice the stock pads and mount the oval ones on the ring instead.

It's well worth fitting the XL pad to the fixing plate. I did this with Brainwavz XL pads and they were a great fit.
IMG-20201116-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #14,443 of 15,268
It's well worth fitting the XL pad to the fixing plate. I did this with Brainwavz XL pads and they were a great fit.IMG-20201116-WA0003.jpg

That looks sweet, have you tried with the oval version as well?

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #14,445 of 15,268

Users who are viewing this thread

Back