Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 24, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #14,326 of 15,268
Ok since the g6 is almost at the same price as e10k,is this a no-brainer? I've heard that g6 is basically just as good as fiio k5 which is out of my range.
Further to my last, if you're not interested in gaming at all, then the IFI Zen DAC gets fantastic reviews (it's £130 here in the UK). It'll future proof you for the headphones to come. But if gaming is a consideration, and you want to be able to use a mic, then the G6.

For gaming the X2 also works fantastically with the V-Moda Boompro Microphone, it's like they were made for one another.

Sorry to keep mentioning gaming, but I don't know what it is you're focusing on overall, so I'm thinking of the potential bigger picture.

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #14,327 of 15,268
Are you going to be using this at a desktop or on the go? Are you going to be watching movies and playing games using it, as well as listening to music? I'd personally go for the G6 over the e10k. The G6 will power most headphones, the e10k won't. The G6 has more input options, and a wealth of customisation options via the pc user interface. If you're on the go, I'd pick up the Fiio BTR5 and not the e10k. It sounds great and also offers bluetooth, but it won't work with game consoles (I doubt the e10k will either).

At €90 the G6 is a steal. The sound quality from it is extremely good, it punches above it's price point. I use mine purely for gaming as I have a far more expensive DAC/amp I use on my desktop. But if I didn't have that, I'd quite happily use the G6. In recent years Creative have put out some really mediocre products, the G6 is not one of those. It's very very good for it's price.
I like the g6 and its clear sound quality, but I have had this issue for ages: pop/click every 5-10 mins. Here is an example of such (at around ~0:02):

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #14,328 of 15,268
I like the g6 and its clear sound quality, but I have had this issue for ages: pop/click every 5-10 mins. Here is an example of such (at around ~0:02):

That sounds very annoying for you. I haven't had that issue at all with mine. If that issue happened with a new unit, I'd be sending it straight back under warranty.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #14,329 of 15,268
That sounds very annoying for you. I haven't had that issue at all with mine. If that issue happened with a new unit, I'd be sending it straight back under warranty.
Yeah this issue only happens with certain pcs. Connecting the g6 to another pc in my house and the pops/clicks are gone. Switching from creative driver to microsoft basic usb 2.0 driver on the current pc also fixes it.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #14,330 of 15,268
Yeah this issue only happens with certain pcs. Connecting the g6 to another pc in my house and the pops/clicks are gone. Switching from creative driver to microsoft basic usb 2.0 driver on the current pc also fixes it.
Have you considered powering the USB separately and just using the optical line out from the PC (if it has one)? I only have my G6 plugged in to the PS4 so definitely wouldn't experience it.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #14,331 of 15,268
Have you considered powering the USB separately and just using the optical line out from the PC (if it has one)? I only have my G6 plugged in to the PS4 so definitely wouldn't experience it.
I tried a powered usb hub with a 1.5A charger but unfortunately it didn't make a difference. My mainboard doesn't have an optical output. I read that using the optical line out is indeed free from that issue, so I guess there's some compatibility issue between creative driver and my pc's usb controller.

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #14,332 of 15,268
Did anyone try the sonarworks demo with the X2s?
https://www.sonarworks.com/reference/demo-player
It could be just me but the sound with the Sonar "Studio reference" enabled is utterly crap. Compressed, tinny and without any width and depth, holy crap how horrible.
But to be fair, this is the result I mostly get when I try to EQ headphones to the Harmon curve myself, meaning altering every peak and dip averaged out of all the frequency charts I can find for a particular pair of headphones. In practice I can only get satisfying results when I EQ subtly, no more than 2-3 db for a certain region and only if I do this by ear.
There is obviously more to sound than a good measurement. I am not saying that I don't agree with the Harmon Curve and I certainly appreciate a more or less flat sound, like the HD650s and K550 MKIIs for instance, but their drivers are tuned that way in relation with the housing. Correcting frequencies by software is only succesful, to my ears the least, when it is applied very subtly. It soon can mess with the overall dynamics and spatial information, making the sound compressed and lo-res.

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #14,333 of 15,268
Further to my last, if you're not interested in gaming at all, then the IFI Zen DAC gets fantastic reviews (it's £130 here in the UK). It'll future proof you for the headphones to come. But if gaming is a consideration, and you want to be able to use a mic, then the G6.

For gaming the X2 also works fantastically with the V-Moda Boompro Microphone, it's like they were made for one another.

Sorry to keep mentioning gaming, but I don't know what it is you're focusing on overall, so I'm thinking of the potential bigger picture.
Thanks for your time,I will do some casual gaming but I do not quite care for the gaming features.My main and only priority is music,Basically the low price of the g6 is what is making me intrested.

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #14,334 of 15,268
Just tried it and that demo does sound like crap when enabled. Seems like they messed up there.
I can prety much garanty its not representative for the actual product.I would sugest trying out the trial.

Did anyone try the sonarworks demo with the X2s?
https://www.sonarworks.com/reference/demo-player
It could be just me but the sound with the Sonar "Studio reference" enabled is utterly crap. Compressed, tinny and without any width and depth, holy crap how horrible.
But to be fair, this is the result I mostly get when I try to EQ headphones to the Harmon curve myself, meaning altering every peak and dip averaged out of all the frequency charts I can find for a particular pair of headphones. In practice I can only get satisfying results when I EQ subtly, no more than 2-3 db for a certain region and only if I do this by ear.
There is obviously more to sound than a good measurement. I am not saying that I don't agree with the Harmon Curve and I certainly appreciate a more or less flat sound, like the HD650s and K550 MKIIs for instance, but their drivers are tuned that way in relation with the housing. Correcting frequencies by software is only succesful, to my ears the least, when it is applied very subtly. It soon can mess with the overall dynamics and spatial information, making the sound compressed and lo-res.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #14,339 of 15,268
Thanks for your time,I will do some casual gaming but I do not quite care for the gaming features.My main and only priority is music,Basically the low price of the g6 is what is making me intrested.
The G6 is excellent for the price (€90 is really good!). If you decide to move on from it in the future or if you don't like it, you'll still get a decent return selling it on. At €90 it's a no brainer to me. Of course there are better things out there, but they cost more money. Also the X2 is an all-rounder headphone. Spending €90 or €200 won't really give you much of a difference in sound, unlike some other headphones they're easy to drive so you don't need high end equipment. Bite the bullet and buy the G6. It's on sale for an extremely good price, I had to pay £130.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back