Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 26, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #14,343 of 15,268
C112EE61-33FB-4F5E-BD71-6E282DEA0055.pngWhat’s wrong with this picture?

John
];’)

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #14,346 of 15,268
I don't know why but I have owned the x2hr for about a year now and I just LOVE putting them on and listening to stuff. It feels like butter to the ears; that's the best way I can describe the experience of having them on my head. I'm heartbroken every time I see someone online trash these headphones and call them low resolution, technically inferior, muddy etc. It makes me question how much I am missing out using the x2hr instead of another pair, but I can't force myself to say goodbye to the x2hr yet. To me, the sound on these are very clear, very natural, and very spacious while packing plenty of bass power. Maybe the mids are a bit too distant sometimes and the imaging seems a bit off but I did test other headphones like the hd660s and the dt1990 pro which are multiple times more expensive and I was not impressed at all in A/B testing against the x2hr.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #14,347 of 15,268
I don't know why but I have owned the x2hr for about a year now and I just LOVE putting them on and listening to stuff. It feels like butter to the ears; that's the best way I can describe the experience of having them on my head. I'm heartbroken every time I see someone online trash these headphones and call them low resolution, technically inferior, muddy etc. It makes me question how much I am missing out using the x2hr instead of another pair, but I can't force myself to say goodbye to the x2hr yet. To me, the sound on these are very clear, very natural, and very spacious while packing plenty of bass power. Maybe the mids are a bit too distant sometimes and the imaging seems a bit off but I did test other headphones like the hd660s and the dt1990 pro which are multiple times more expensive and I was not impressed at all in A/B testing against the x2hr.
The x2 aren't perfect, but I still enjoy them as much as any open back I own.
Even if you buy another headphone, you can still keep the x2. When you go back to them you'll still enjoy them.

Oct 27, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #14,349 of 15,268
I have an original X2 from 2014, and though I also have other headphones, none make me smile like a big idiot as much as these. Recently bought a Hifiman Deva and after a listening session put the X2 on for an all day work session. They are not going anywhere. Something very special about them. I have read about them on various threads over the years, and my opinion is you either get them for what they are, or you don’t. Keeping mine.

Oct 27, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #14,350 of 15,268
how would the akg k701 compare to x2?i just found out about them and they are even cheaper.
The K701 sound quite thin/hollow. There's no weight behind the music. Not in the same league. I tried a pair from Amazon and sent them straight back, they were fine for gaming (light but slightly uncomfortable pads), but I'd never use them over the X2 for music.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #14,351 of 15,268
how would the akg k701 compare to x2?i just found out about them and they are even cheaper.
The X2/X2HR are some of the best headphones out there for €150. The Beyerdynamic DT 880 are up there with them for around that price (provided you don't get the 600ohm model as they need a powerful amp). The 880 doesn't have a detachable cable, feels cheaper in the build, doesn't sound quite as bassy, doesn't have the soundstage of the X2, but have better detail, clarity, and are lighter/slightly more comfortable on the head. Those are my personal top picks for your price range.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #14,353 of 15,268
I can tell you the differences to the K702 at least.
To me, but many people don't share my opinion. the K702 has a more musical feeling to it. It extends better into the subbass though less bass in general. Bass is also more controlled. Soundstage feels more realistic on the X2. The soundstage of the X2 is like you hear sounds actually a few cm away from your head, while the K702 is about the same width, it tries so "simulate" it further away, and lacks the center image.
While X2 sounds realistic, it does sound kind of dry to me, it lacks the musicality in my opinion what the K702 gives to me. I can not tell you exactly what this is though.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #14,354 of 15,268
While X2 sounds realistic, it does sound kind of dry to me, it lacks the musicality in my opinion what the K702 gives to me. I can not tell you exactly what this is though.

This dryness could be probably mitigated in a rich sounding setup.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #14,355 of 15,268

I've been a fool for audio for ~40 years, stumbling around in everything from big audiophile systems to primitive desktop systems (my current desktop system is far from primitive). This quest started including headphones ~4 years ago, and that turned into yet another very enjoyable rabbit hole to go down, all for the sake of music/love of music.

If there's one thing I've learned in that time, it's this: when you find a component that really lights up your ears, that sounds like music to you, that helps you enjoy your music--hold onto it & don't let go. There will always be "more knowledgeable" people who talk down that component, make you start to doubt its quality & your feelings for it. Don't listen to them!

I have the original X2s. It was love at first listen & nothing has changed. Over the years I've seen people take every imaginable shot at these headphones--trashing their comfort, design, lack of replaceable pads, inability to do that "high resolution" things expensive headphones do, boomy bass, peaky treble (what?)...on and on. I just ignore it and keep listening to the X2s. Heard them the other night and felt that X2 love all over again.

Truthfully, these headphones are guilty of some of the things people say. They're not the highest resolution design out there (nor should they be, at the price); the bass can be boomy at times, depending on amp; and the pads clearly are not replaceable, not w/o a lot of sturm und drang. I have other headphones that cost far more than the X2s and sound "better" in various ways.

But I still love my X2s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back