Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 3, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #14,056 of 15,268
I don't believe this is possible w/out extreme measures, ie:
  1. Obtain a 2nd pair of X2s & check sound to make sure they sound the same as 1st pair
  2. Break down 1st pair to remove the earcup w/o an input jack
  3. Break down 2nd pair to remove the earcup w/an input jack
  4. Join the earcup w/an input jack to the frame/earcup also having an input jack
  5. Voila: 2 input jacks = potential for balanced
I have no idea if this is doable, given the design/construction of the X2s. It certainly would an expensive & potentially disastrous way to scratch that itch for balanced X2 sound. But I confess to being really curious about that sound...
I guess the conclusion is, its not worth faffing about with! I'll just continue enjoying them just as they are:)

May 3, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #14,057 of 15,268
I'm waiting for @Slater to weigh in. My guess is he knows the answer to this riddle...

Both are doable, the double entry method and the single entry method.

As you guys pointed out though, method 1 would be expensive, and both method 1 and 2 could be disastrous if you are not an experienced modder. Would it be worth possibly ruining a perfectly good X2 under the assumption that balanced may or may not sound any better? That’s up to each individual.

The X2 isn’t particularly difficult to drive, so I am not really sure a balanced mod would provide such an improvement that it would warrant the work and risk involved.

Anyways, here’s my thoughts on each method:

1. For the double entry cup version, since you will be using 2 L cups, you would need to sand off the rectangular alignment notch on the bottom of the L baffle (being used on the right side) so that the baffle could be flipped 180 degrees. This would allow the driver to face the correct direction. You would also obviously need to rewire each jack.

The other difficult thing with this method is the glue that holds the cup pivots is pretty tough stuff. The Pivots are plastic, so extreme care must be taken to dig out all of the glue without damaging any of the plastic.

2. For the single entry method, you would need to find a TRRS jack that fits in the same space as the stock circuit board. You would also need to wire it up properly.

One bonus to #2 is that there is a specific way to wire up the TRRS jack so that a balanced cable OR a normal 3.5mm single ended aux cable can be used. This bonus wiring method would require a specially built balanced cable, as it would not use a normal balanced pin TRRS configuration. The aux (single ended) cable would be a standard run of the mill aux cable however.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #14,058 of 15,268
Being in this hobby a while and JUST getting around to picking up the X2(HR). Well, darn it, what took me so long?! The sound signature on these hits my tastes absolutely on par for an open back. I generally shy away from most open backs because they are little thin in the lower region for my taste and EQ is not always an option or something I want to fiddle around with.

After all the praise, I decided to try them when Amazon had them down to $119. So glad I did. Comfortable, well built, and there's just a sweet texture to the sound that is so seductive, especially at $119! These are absolutely criminal at around $100 or so.

These are now my #1 La-Z-Boy headphones. Nobody bother me.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #14,059 of 15,268
Being in this hobby a while and JUST getting around to picking up the X2(HR). Well, darn it, what took me so long?! The sound signature on these hits my tastes absolutely on par for an open back. I generally shy away from most open backs because they are little thin in the lower region for my taste and EQ is not always an option or something I want to fiddle around with.

After all the praise, I decided to try them when Amazon had them down to $119. So glad I did. Comfortable, well built, and there's just a sweet texture to the sound that is so seductive, especially at $119! These are absolutely criminal at around $100 or so.

Nice!

The original X2s are my hot but headphones--and I don't even have a hot tub.

(NOTE: uhh, that's "hot tub," NOT "hot but" !!) damn...

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #14,062 of 15,268

Whaaaaaat? Started my La-Z-Boy clock in October 2014 with the OG X2’s in Folsom, CA (Ha Ha. NOT the prison). Still have them and still love them. Just in TN now. And yes - they are criminally good. Welcome to the club my brother! Keep on Rockin! Literally.

May 8, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #14,064 of 15,268
Now I'm concerned. Is there a regulation that to enjoy the X2s/X2HRs, you have to have a La-Z-Boy chair?

I'd hate to give up the X2s because my ass is sitting on an unapproved chair when I listen... (ie, Steelcase "Leap" v1 chair).
The chair cannot simply be approved unless it goes through the formal process. It must be tested, then we must contact trace any prior owners and see if they were tested & certified to sit in it whilst listening to the X2s. We must also test for antibodies. After about 12-18 months, we may let you use the chair. Until then, you're isolated to the beat up brown polyester chair that's missing a cushion.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #14,065 of 15,268
The chair cannot simply be approved unless it goes through the formal process. It must be tested, then we must contract trace any prior owners and see if they were tested & certified to sit in it whilst listening to the X2s. We must also test for antibodies. After about 12-18 months, we may let you use the chair. Until then, you're isolated to the beat up brown polyester chair that's missing a cushion.

Thanks for giving us the medical test we all need: butt antibodies.

But you left mandatory "butt casts" in which bare buttocks are pressed into wet plaster of paris.

(after that life is never the same again)

May 10, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #14,066 of 15,268
Hello, i bought a x2 today. It will arrive soon. I've a b&o hi fi module (lg hi-fi plus).
Is it able to drive x2 with full potential? I'm not listening too loud and only using spotify and some games. Is this module can drive with basses good? Btw if it's not handle also there is an Xduoo xd-05 in local store here. What about xd-05?

May 10, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #14,067 of 15,268
Hello, i bought a x2 today. It will arrive soon. I've a b&o hi fi module (lg hi-fi plus).
Is it able to drive x2 with full potential? I'm not listening too loud and only using spotify and some games. Is this module can drive with basses good? Btw if it's not handle also there is an Xduoo xd-05 in local store here. What about xd-05?

Yes, the Hifi Plus is perfectly capable to drive the X2's very well.

I've got no experience with the xd-05.

May 10, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #14,069 of 15,268
I grabbed a pair looking for a complement to my DT 1990s and can see why people like them but man, they just didn't do anything for me. Good bass and soundstage, clear and balanced mids and treble (relative to each other) and comfortable to wear but way too soft of an overall sound signature for my taste.

Powered them with my LG G8 and Emotiva A-100. I was actually surprised that max volume on the G8 wasn't very loud but perhaps the X2 didn't trigger the high-output mode.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #14,070 of 15,268
I grabbed a pair looking for a complement to my DT 1990s and can see why people like them but man, they just didn't do anything for me. Good bass and soundstage, clear and balanced mids and treble (relative to each other) and comfortable to wear but way too soft of an overall sound signature for my taste.

Powered them with my LG G8 and Emotiva A-100. I was actually surprised that max volume on the G8 wasn't very loud but perhaps the X2 didn't trigger the high-output mode.

Too soft? As in not loud enough? If that's what you mean, there's a hiccup in your set-up somewhere to iron out. Out of my DAP, which pushes a meager 150 mW, the X2 gets louder than I can handle and sounds pretty great in general. Maybe it is an issue of gain. These are easy to drive.

If you mean soft as in not enough slam or dynamics, see above. That's usually a sign of the headphone being underpowered or mismatched with the source impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back