Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 28, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #14,041 of 15,268
Here's the thing, I really don't intend to buy new headphones, like, at all. At MOST the X3 when they prove themselves to be a straight upgrade from the X2. My goal is really just to get the most out of my X2, because I feel like the Fulla is still limiting some of its potential.

The story of this hobby is basically chasing that last little bit of potential. I have to say that personally I've owned the X2s on two separate occasions (and the X1s at one point), and being very efficient, low impedance headphones I didn't find that they scaled a lot with different amps.

I also used them with a Fulla 2 at one point. You can change the character of the sound a little, I liked them most out of a Vali 2 personally because it's smoothed out the treble just a touch with certain tubes, but there's not much more to get out of them than the Fulla 2 is gonna give them in my opinion. An Asgard 3 is probably overkill.

I'd personally put money toward a future headphone upgrade. My personal philosophy is that your headphones should be the most valuable part of your chain, not your amp. But if you're never gonna buy new headphones, you probably won't ever need the Asgard 3 to really do its thing.

Anyway, YMMV
Yep...imo transducers provide the best ability to upgrade/vary the listening experience as well. Would also agree that the Asgard 3 won't buy much 'scaling' for the X2's.

What's really great to hear is that @Selbi really likes the X2 signature and doesn't feel the 'need' to buy something else. The easy solution there is to stick with the X2's and buy more music! :wink:

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #14,042 of 15,268
I liked them most out of a Vali 2 personally because it's smoothed out the treble just a touch with certain tubes, but there's not much more to get out of them than the Fulla 2 is gonna give them in my opinion. An Asgard 3 is probably overkill.
You would not believe how many hours I've already dedicated to Vali research. That thing seems to be one of the most polarizing pieces of tech Schiit has to offer. I actually thought about buying it a long time ago, specifically because I also want to get rid of some of those piercing highs.

Do you remember which tubes worked well for the X2? If I do get the Vali, I'd probably not go with the stock one due to its sub-par reviews.

In my case "system" means not just headphones & amp, but also preamp, amp, studio monitors & sub. Each time I upgraded my DAC, I spent somewhat more & chased a specific DAC design said to sound better in particular ways--and each upgrade did push my system a little higher IMO.
This is another reason why I was interested in upgrading my DAC specifically. Didn't want to derail the thread too much so I kept it to myself, but I also run JBL LSR 305 studio monitors that use the Fulla's lackluster pre-out. Ideally I'd find an upgrade to kill two birds with one stone.

What's really great to hear is that @Selbi really likes the X2 signature and doesn't feel the 'need' to buy something else. The easy solution there is to stick with the X2's and buy more music! :wink:
Yup! I've tried two more headphones since I've bought my X2, both in hopes to provide a straight upgrade: the AudioQuest NightHawk and the E-MU Teak. Both of them did something in their own regard that outclassed the X2. Unfortunately, they both lacked that "something" that X2 has that's near impossible to put into words. They aren't the most resolving or true-to-source headphones, but they are so much damn fun. Self-explanatory, both headphones got sold again.

This is really why I'm praying for the X3 to finally offer that upgrade I've been after for years now and failing to attempt.

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #14,043 of 15,268
You would not believe how many hours I've already dedicated to Vali research. That thing seems to be one of the most polarizing pieces of tech Schiit has to offer. I actually thought about buying it a long time ago, specifically because I also want to get rid of some of those piercing highs.

Do you remember which tubes worked well for the X2? If I do get the Vali, I'd probably not go with the stock one due to its sub-par reviews.

Gold Lion 6922 was the cream of the crop from all the tubes I tried

May 2, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #14,044 of 15,268
Does anyone know how to shrink the fabric on the ear pads? Mine are all warped and bother me since they end up touching my ears when there's bass .

Attachments

• headphone_back.jpg
    headphone_back.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 3, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #14,046 of 15,268
Is it possible to drive these balanced? I have found a cable with a 4 pin XLR termination on eBay intended for the Fidelios, but I thought it required an internal modification in the headphone to order to run them balanced.

May 3, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #14,048 of 15,268
Well, I run my Sennheiser HD800s and Beyer T1s with balanced cables via my Oppo HA-1 connected similarly with balanced cables to my Oppo 205, so you would presumably call them balanced? Pardon me if I'm a bit dense, but what would be the difference with these headphones and the Fidelios apart form the latter only having a single cable?

May 3, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #14,049 of 15,268
Well, I run my Sennheiser HD800s and Beyer T1s with balanced cables via my Oppo HA-1 connected similarly with balanced cables to my Oppo 205, so you would presumably call them balanced? Pardon me if I'm a bit dense, but what would be the difference with these headphones and the Fidelios apart form the latter only having a single cable?
Exactly that, I think you should google on that subject, it's not exactly as simple as I would like to just spew it out. Either way X2's are not Balanced headphone, unless you make it into one, it does not become one. While your other headphones are set to be balanced from the get go.

May 3, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #14,050 of 15,268
Exactly that, I think you should google on that subject, it's not exactly as simple as I would like to just spew it out. Either way X2's are not Balanced headphone, unless you make it into one, it does not become one. While your other headphones are set to be balanced from the get go.
Thanks, I had the feeling it wasn't as simple as I first thought.

May 3, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #14,051 of 15,268
There wouldn't really be any benefit to running the X2s balanced anyway, even if you took the time to rewire them, these are very efficient headphones and they don't need the extra power. The only possible benefit would be if the balanced output on your particular amp sounds better than the single ended out for some reason.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #14,052 of 15,268
Is it possible to drive these balanced? I have found a cable with a 4 pin XLR termination on eBay intended for the Fidelios, but I thought it required an internal modification in the headphone to order to run them balanced.

I don't believe this is possible w/out extreme measures, ie:
  1. Obtain a 2nd pair of X2s & check sound to make sure they sound the same as 1st pair
  2. Break down 1st pair to remove the earcup w/o an input jack
  3. Break down 2nd pair to remove the earcup w/an input jack
  4. Join the earcup w/an input jack to the frame/earcup also having an input jack
  5. Voila: 2 input jacks = potential for balanced
I have no idea if this is doable, given the design/construction of the X2s. It certainly would an expensive & potentially disastrous way to scratch that itch for balanced X2 sound. But I confess to being really curious about that sound...

May 3, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #14,053 of 15,268
  1. Obtain a 2nd pair of X2s & check sound to make sure they sound the same as 1st pair
  4. Join the earcup w/an input jack to the frame/earcup also having an input jack
I have no idea if this is doable, given the design/construction of the X2s. It certainly would an expensive & potentially disastrous way to scratch that itch for balanced X2 sound. But I confess to being really curious about that sound...

It also might be possible to replace the TRS jack with a TRRS jack and rewire internally, but I don't have nearly the technical expertise to say how exactly you'd go about that (and again I think it's mostly pointless)

May 3, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #14,054 of 15,268
Actually, it could be easier than that. I've seen 3.5mm trrs sockets online (mouser/digikey). How well it'd fit in the existing earcup, I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back