Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 6, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #13,966 of 15,268
People say the x2hr is muddy and low resolution but I swear today I tested the dt 1990 pro, the hd 660s and the hd800 and I don’t hear that much of a improvement in clarity over the x2hr. The soundstage and airiness of the x2hr even beat both the 1990 and 660s, only loses to the ridiculously open hd800. I start to wonder how much of those claims are hyperbole.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #13,967 of 15,268
Btw, owning the x2hr for a few months now, I’m still trying to find a way to make wearing this headphone more comfortable. The high clamping force combined with me wearing glasses (thin frame already) causes some discomfort. The headphone itself also wobbles on my head despite that clamping force. Seems like a problem of the suspension headband design or weight distribution. Wearing a cap under the headphone helps somewhat. Any idea on how to improve on this?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #13,968 of 15,268
Btw, owning the x2hr for a few months now, I’m still trying to find a way to make wearing this headphone more comfortable. The high clamping force combined with me wearing glasses (thin frame already) causes some discomfort. The headphone itself also wobbles on my head despite that clamping force. Seems like a problem of the suspension headband design or weight distribution. Wearing a cap under the headphone helps somewhat. Any idea on how to improve on this?

That sucks man. You shouldn’t have to resort to wearing a hat to get a headphone to fit properly.

While I have no problem with the fit of the X2, I’ve always felt that the biggest improvement they could make to the X2 is the headband.

Set it up like the SHP9500, with a fixed suspension headband plus sliding earcups.

They have the perfect opportunity to make changes with the X3. It’s not out yet, so only time will tell how they set up the headband. From photos, it appears to be designed just like the X2.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #13,969 of 15,268
That sucks man. You shouldn’t have to resort to wearing a hat to get a headphone to fit properly.

While I have no problem with the fit of the X2, I’ve always felt that the biggest improvement they could make to the X2 is the headband.

Set it up like the SHP9500, with a fixed suspension headband plus sliding earcups.

They have the perfect opportunity to make changes with the X3. It’s not out yet, so only time will tell how they set up the headband. From photos, it appears to be designed just like the X2.

^This. I've always prefered fixed headband & sliding earcups. And the shp9500 is comfortable as hell. The hd660s and the dt 1990 pro have that sliding earcups design but then their earpad holes are small so my ears touch the inside, causing no less discomfort and making the sound feel less airy.

Yeah no hope for the X3. The headband design looks just like the x2. I'm betting on the shp9600. If they sound more or less like the x2 then I'll buy it instead of the x3. But we've heard nothing about that headphone for quite a while.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #13,970 of 15,268
^This. I've always prefered fixed headband & sliding earcups. And the shp9500 is comfortable as hell. The hd660s and the dt 1990 pro have that sliding earcups design but then their earpad holes are small so my ears touch the inside, causing no less discomfort and making the sound feel less airy.

Yeah no hope for the X3. The headband design looks just like the x2. I'm betting on the shp9600. If they sound more or less like the x2 then I'll buy it instead of the x3. But we've heard nothing about that headphone for quite a while.

If my X2 suspension headband ever breaks, I have an idea about how to make a nice adjustable leather one :wink:

Mar 11, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #13,975 of 15,268
That's exactly the biggest comfort issue with these. They need to have high clamp force in order to fit snuggly and stay in place. I've tried to weaken clamping force only to find out the more I did it the more cups started to move around being pulled by the strap.

Mar 11, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #13,976 of 15,268
Maybe it's break-in, but my pair is like being engulfed in two pillows and I love it! My only real nitpick is how the headband leaves a gigantic trace of headphone hair after wearing the headphones for a couple hours and it can make the skin underneath kinda itchy. That's really all there is to it though.

Mar 15, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #13,977 of 15,268
Hello guys,
Is there a final word on which version sounds best for gaming between the original X2, the X2 Gibson, the X2HR Gibso and X2HR MMD HK Holding LTD ?

Thanks

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #13,978 of 15,268
Hi

I found this forum to be very helpful for people who have/planning to have a x2.

I recently purchased pre owned x2hr's and I have paired with Cayin N3 and i always get a feeling that x2's are being under powered while driven by cayin n3.

Other thing I noticed is the stock cable adds a bit more resistance which makes them driving difficult from cayin N3.

I have noticed sometimes the highs feel strained and distorted - do they need more burn in because the headphones were not used more than 10 to 15 hours.

I need some help on these.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #13,979 of 15,268
Hi

I found this forum to be very helpful for people who have/planning to have a x2.

I recently purchased pre owned x2hr's and I have paired with Cayin N3 and i always get a feeling that x2's are being under powered while driven by cayin n3.

Other thing I noticed is the stock cable adds a bit more resistance which makes them driving difficult from cayin N3.

I have noticed sometimes the highs feel strained and distorted - do they need more burn in because the headphones were not used more than 10 to 15 hours.

I need some help on these.

If the stock cable of the X2HR is the same one that came w/my X2s, you're right to question it. That cable was somewhat microphonic, resisted bending a bit, and sounded constricted.

I very quickly replaced it with a cable from Ghent Audio (link below) and never looked back. This inexpensive 2M replacement cable is built like a tank, bends easily, is not at all microphonic, and clearly sounds better than the stock cable.

Note: the stock D05 configuration has 6.35mm (1/4") jacks on both ends. That won't work w/the X2s/X2HRs, which require a 3.5mm jack on the headphone side. So just ask Ghent Xu (very helpful owner of Ghent Audio) to change one end of the D05 to 3.5mm, and you'll be good to go.​

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #13,980 of 15,268
If the stock cable of the X2HR is the same one that came w/my X2s, you're right to question it. That cable was somewhat microphonic, resisted bending a bit, and sounded constricted.

I very quickly replaced it with a cable from Ghent Audio (link below) and never looked back. This inexpensive 2M replacement cable is built like a tank, bends easily, is not at all microphonic, and clearly sounds better than the stock cable.

Note: the stock D05 configuration has 6.35mm (1/4") jacks on both ends. That won't work w/the X2s/X2HRs, which require a 3.5mm jack on the headphone side. So just ask Ghent Xu (very helpful owner of Ghent Audio) to change one end of the D05 to 3.5mm, and you'll be good to go.​

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

Thanks for the information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back