Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 24, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #13,908 of 15,268
Philips has never offered replacement pads for the X2 or X2HR.

However, since they sold the division to the HK Holding Ltd company and started manufacturing the X2HR again, it would make sense that they have a factory full of X2HR pads somewhere.

Also, it sure appears that the new X3 is using the same earpads, although that’s just speculation based on the X3 photos. If that turns out to be the case, then Philips should have plenty of pads available to consider offering spares to owners.

If I have time in the next week, I’ll get in touch with their customer service department and inquire about replacement ear pads.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #13,909 of 15,268
I have acquired a second hand pair of Philips X2s and would like to replace the pads. Can anyone suggest a good replacement set and where I may be able to purchase them from ?

I had to replace my earpads like 3 years ago, I got myself some Brainwavz pads,took apart the old earpads to get the rings and wrapped the new ones around the rings.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #13,910 of 15,268
Reading a few reviews it seems like your right. They do seem super hard to find. I wonder if the X3 will be like the A800.

The one thing it seems like the A800 has is the 3d soundstage that I’ve been looking for. I’ve been looking for that sound ever since the LCD-2c’s. The Verums sort of had a 3d sound as well
But I can’t do planars anymore due to tinnitus.

Hey,

Just Out of intrest why can't you do planar with tinnitus?

I own the x1 and X2hr and they where my favorite for years, but since I got some planar they sound less clear to me.
Got a sis/beeb in my left ear since a kid. So if you can't use planar mabey I should not eighter?

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #13,911 of 15,268
Hey,

Just Out of intrest why can't you do planar with tinnitus?

I own the x1 and X2hr and they where my favorite for years, but since I got some planar they sound less clear to me.
Got a sis/beeb in my left ear since a kid. So if you can't use planar mabey I should not eighter?

They just make my tinnitus go very loud. I developed tinnitus when I started using planars but I didn’t know if they are what caused it or if it was just a coincidence.

I’ve bought and sold planars and every single time I go planar I have bad tinnitus for a day or so after listening to them. Even at low volume it will spike my tinnitus after 10 or so minutes of use.

For me, planar’s sound extremely nice but I do feel like I’m incredibly sensitive to the sound. The best way I can describe it to me is that its like I’m hearing really hard to hear high frequencies non-stop with planars. Like an ultra-extreme clearness to them .

Then I go back to dynamics and I don’t have this problem.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #13,912 of 15,268
They just make my tinnitus go very loud. I developed tinnitus when I started using planars but I didn’t know if they are what caused it or if it was just a coincidence.

I’ve bought and sold planars and every single time I go planar I have bad tinnitus for a day or so after listening to them. Even at low volume it will spike my tinnitus after 10 or so minutes of use.

For me, planar’s sound extremely nice but I do feel like I’m incredibly sensitive to the sound. The best way I can describe it to me is that its like I’m hearing really hard to hear high frequencies non-stop with planars. Like an ultra-extreme clearness to them .

Then I go back to dynamics and I don’t have this problem.

Thanks for explaining, have the same problem when using the m1060 for a couple of hours, not for a day tho more like a couple of hours. But the HE4xx doesn't do that for my ears. But now you mentioned it I'll pay some more attention to that

Comming to think of it the x2 never did that. But mine do his beeb from time to time anyway so I was not concerned by it.

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #13,913 of 15,268
Has anyone found a way to trigger high impedance mode (50Ω) on LG Quad Dac phones? Would a lower resistance mini jack cable help? I would like to avoid impedance adapters.
My Sony MDR-1a, although below 32Ω, somehow always triggers the 50Ω mode.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #13,914 of 15,268
Has anyone found a way to trigger high impedance mode (50Ω) on LG Quad Dac phones? Would a lower resistance mini jack cable help? I would like to avoid impedance adapters.
My Sony MDR-1a, although below 32Ω, somehow always trigger the 50Ω mode.

If memory serves, when I had the v20 you could do it by plugging in just the cable alone, then plugging the cable into the headphones after, but it's been a while so I might be misremembering

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #13,915 of 15,268
If memory serves, when I had the v20 you could do it by plugging in just the cable alone, then plugging the cable into the headphones after, but it's been a while so I might be misremembering
There are 3 modes including normal, aux, HI. This unfortunately results in aux mode, better than normal but not high impedance. A significant difference in volume and maybe quality to an extend.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #13,916 of 15,268
There are 3 modes including normal, aux, HI. This unfortunately results in aux mode, better than normal but not high impedance. A significant difference in volume and maybe quality to an extend.

Aux mode should be more than enough to drive the X2s I would think, they're very efficient headphones

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #13,917 of 15,268
Thanks for explaining, have the same problem when using the m1060 for a couple of hours, not for a day tho more like a couple of hours. But the HE4xx doesn't do that for my ears. But now you mentioned it I'll pay some more attention to that

Comming to think of it the x2 never did that. But mine do his beeb from time to time anyway so I was not concerned by it.

I've had continuous tinnitus for the past 12-14 years. It gets exacerbated severely by stress, loud situations, or (yes) listening to headphones too long or loudly. I've been working around tinnitus the whole time I've been into headphones.

The X2s were my first totally satisfactory/successful headphone, and from day-1 they aggravated tinnitus less than any other headphone on hand. Not sure why this is so, beyond a couple common-sense factors:
  • open-back designs are easier on tinnitus than closed backs
  • certain kinds of music are naturally less liable to cause tinnitus--things like calm classical, choral, ambient music.
  • I experience no real difference between dynamics & planars in terms of tinnitus potential (have & enjoy both kinds). However, any headphone that is peaky, bright & emphasizes transients & sibilants very quickly gets me in tinnitus trouble
Mostly I just watch the volume knob & don't try to do serious listening when tinnitus is already elevated above normal levels.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #13,918 of 15,268
I have them a month ago and I like them a lot, I find them very fun for genres such as pop and electronic. But to my liking I think he lacks a little treble to finish being fantastic. Can someone advise me something to equalize the treble a little? I use them with an Ibasso DX 160.
Thank you!

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #13,919 of 15,268
Hello, just bought these from amazon warehouse in "Like New" condition, was wondering if there are any specific things i should watch out for when they arrive or any common issues i should be aware of?

Currently running DT 990 Premium 250ohm but they are slowly showing the wear (running for 9 years) so i am excited to hear new cans.

Feb 7, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #13,920 of 15,268
My impressions after a month of listening to X2HR and a little comparison with HD599. Wonder how X2HR compare to first edition X2's. I've read most of this thread and looking just at people opinions it's clear to me the latest HR incarnation does not have completely identical tuning.

1. Very wide soundstage, in fact one of the widest I've ever heard in any headphone

2. Nice tight bass enough but not too much with a bit of rumble, doesn't bleed into mids

3. At first i thought mids being recessed, but they're simply flat, but yeah in comparison to mid-focused cans they seem a bit behind

4. Vocals are loud and clear, though not on the same great level as 599

5. Mid-centric songs are somewhat muted at times so these are rather peaky and not sound great with everything. On the other hand elevated mids in 599 can also be problematic too fatiguing and shouty

6. Treble is not sibilant to me, they just have great amounts of air up top maybe a little too much with lack of definition and that's basically my biggest issue with X2HR sound so far as I tend to lean on more darker presentation

7. These are more fun than detailed. I mean the detail is there, but especially in mids I find more details with 599

8. Overal very unique warm yet bright, natural yet fun sound signature. I can totally see why these aren't for eveyrone taste though. Dunno why people take them as HD600, 650 replacement? Those are totally different cups of tea one being mid-centric congested ball of sound the other extremely airy wide and spacious.

9. Not as comfortable as 599 even though the cups are bigger with a bit more space. Very strong clamp force, definetly too much for me - hopefully weaken over time. Other than that pads tend to be pulled up after a while so I need to readjust the position of the entire headphone every now and then.

10. Pads are made of terrible material not pleasent to touch and collecting lint like crazy. What's worse it's nearly impossible to clean them takes ages and when I use my fingers I see small particles of velour flaking off along with the dirt I pinch. This leaves me question durability of this pads... Much prefere fluffier and easy to clean 599 ones.

11. Cable is nice in fact one of the nicer stock cables I've got with any headphone. Don't have the need to change it, bit long, but I fold it and forget about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back