Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 10, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #12,616 of 15,268
They are awesome. Yes the hd600 is better but that imorovement is only noticeable if you are dissecting your music and not having much fun. For my taste the x2 strikes a perfect balance. That is why i ma kind of afraid of trying the hd650... i am pretty sure i am going to end up spending the double of what i spend on the x2 and i am not going to have half of their fun. I may be wrong but if they are mostly based on the hd600 sound i am not expecting miracles.

Cool thing i noticed tonight.... the pads are a bit stiff at first but now after almost a month with this new pair it is clearly noticeable that they are getting fluffier with use and more confortable everyday. It is very noticeable simply by touching the pads with my hands. They felt much stiff a couple of days ago and even stiffer when i first got them.

A couple months ago I had the opportunity to listen to a stock HD600 and a modded HD650, courtesy of a Head-Fi pal. The HD600 wasn't for me. Though it was well constructed and had nice pads, the clamping pressure was a little high and I found the sound to be odd: not much deep bass or bass impact; excellent midrange & treble w/lots of resolution; very close-up soundstaging (better than average in total amt, but a little claustrophobic); and a weird "shouty" quality in the midrange, possibly related to resonance.

The modded HD650 was quite a different story. The earcups had been lined with sound absorbent material; and the outer screen swapped for something with more solid metal (but still w/patterns of holes). I've never heard a stock HD650, but this modded one really hit the spot for me. Like the HD600, it didn't have much low bass, but the overall bass quality/quantity seemed more realistic. But it was the midrange that really shined here--no more "shouty" sound, very resolving, detailed w/o brightness. The headphone had lower clamping pressure and was more comfortable. I really admired this headphone.

But love it? Not really. It was like a superb monitoring headphone, perhaps lacking a little in the deep bass, but quite listenable for long periods. Revealing, but not tiring. I could work with these headphones, but not so sure I'd kick back and chill w/them.

The X2s are still more organic, relaxing--fun. Other headphones do certain things better, but few headphones do everything in a pleasing way, as the X2s do.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #12,618 of 15,268
I have been looking into European amazon sites, and i saw that on amazon spain its 58% off. Do you think it can go any lower then that or should i buy them now (The italian amazon has them for a lower base price so if that goes to 50% that could be amazing). What are your thought on that?

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #12,619 of 15,268
I have been looking into European amazon sites, and i saw that on amazon spain its 58% off. Do you think it can go any lower then that or should i buy them now (The italian amazon has them for a lower base price so if that goes to 50% that could be amazing). What are your thought on that?

Check on camelcamelcamel. It will show you the historic prices, as well as maximum low and high.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #12,620 of 15,268
So I've had the X2's for 9 months and while I've been fairly happy so far, the hammock/suspension/whatever you call the inner "headband", has seemingly failed.

The hammock just stretches right up to the headband when you put the headphones on or hold them by it. I can't feel anything physically wrong with it, it just seems that the elastic band or whatever's inside has stretched and become unable to support the weight.
They sit poorly on my head now, since my head is all the way against the actual headband and the clamping power causes pain around my ear as the headphones fight to stay around the ear and not fall further down.

Thankfully, they are still under warranty, but I'm rather concerned about the longetivity of a new/repaired pair now. These have been my daily cans, easily getting 5+ hours of use every day when I'm working on the PC. Condition otherwise pretty much pristine, never had them hang from the hammock either.

Has anyone had the same problem? Tried searching the thread but there's 840 pages to go through...

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #12,621 of 15,268
I got mine on prime day for 139. After that there was one day that they dropped to 135. I doubt they will go power than that. What would be cool is if they made a 99 euro deal on black friday like they did many times with the hd598s. If they dropped to 99 euros i would mostra likely get a 2nd pair for when this one i havê fails.... But i hope mine work for many many Years and i highly doubt we will ever see then at even power prices than today....

At 146 euros, nothing beats the Fidélio x2 right now and for better (but not necessarily best suítes signature) we need to pay twice their current price.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #12,622 of 15,268
I have had the X1s for years and have always been very happy with them. But it was hard to ignore the almost universal praise for the X2 (curse all of you!) so I finally bit the bullet and order a pair. They have just come in and already I am extremely happy. It was immediately apparent that the X2s have much more clarity. Where the X1 can sometimes feel a bit muddled the X2s haven’t tripped once over anything I’ve thrown at them. It is like lifting a veil or removing a piece of cloth when going from the X1 to the X2.

My current source is my Macbook pro with CA DacMagic XS and I look forward to seeing what the Xduoo XD-05 will do for them.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #12,623 of 15,268
I have had the X1s for years and have always been very happy with them. But it was hard to ignore the almost universal praise for the X2 (curse all of you!) so I finally bit the bullet and order a pair. They have just come in and already I am extremely happy. It was immediately apparent that the X2s have much more clarity. Where the X1 can sometimes feel a bit muddled the X2s haven’t tripped once over anything I’ve thrown at them. It is like lifting a veil or removing a piece of cloth when going from the X1 to the X2.

My current source is my Macbook pro with CA DacMagic XS and I look forward to seeing what the Xduoo XD-05 will do for them.

Wow, good to hear. Because a few people say that the X1>X2 (to the point where I going to pick a par up if the opportunity ever presented itself).

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #12,624 of 15,268
I think mine have burned in nicely now, Protection by Massive Attack sounds very vice:gs1000smile:

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #12,625 of 15,268
I think mine have burned in nicely now, Protection by Massive Attack sounds very vice:gs1000smile:

Wow, what are the odds. I was just listening to that track this morning on my X2!

haha small world

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #12,626 of 15,268
Wow, good to hear. Because a few people say that the X1>X2 (to the point where I going to pick a par up if the opportunity ever presented itself).

I was able to A/B the X1's and X2's at a meet-up and I would have to agree with @joostdh To me, the X2's were a very obvious improvement in clarity and separation, not to mention having a subjectively more pleasant sound. I had wondered whether the X1's would be something to consider alongside my X2's. 5 minutes of auditioning put that notion to rest.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #12,627 of 15,268
Sep 12, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #12,629 of 15,268
Just listened to a random Album on Qobuz.....Death From Above 1979

:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #12,630 of 15,268
Usually i listen mostly to pop, rock, metal, indie pop & rock, dnb, prog and trance but lately i AM in the mood for rock, metal and grungy stuff.... My x2s and hd25s havê been the most used (hd600 and momentums are staying on the shelve for a month now) and have been rocking a lot of highly suspect, nothing but thieves, the blue stones.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back