Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #12,437 of 15,268
Nighthawks are actually fantastic headphones and i really like their smoothness and deep bass, but in the end the lower mids are just too much for many genres. Its like theres a veil over the music making everything sound like far away. Also female vocalists are just much better on the X2. Listened to Lykke Li - Unchained Melody the X2 gave me shivers the Nighthawk just dont do justice to her voice.

Bass on the X2 is just as good imo and i dont hear any sibliance with them either. Soundstage is also better and music feels much more alive, while i can also listen to them with very low volume if i wanna relax. My first pair last year had missmatched drivers and it seems i didnt notice it back then and just didnt like the sound :d

Since i dont wanna use any EQ on my music the NHs had to go now (i heard EQing them makes them superior to many others headphones 1k+ range but i just dont like the idea of EQing besides listeining to two different platforms).

tldr; <3 X2

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #12,438 of 15,268
Taste of X2 is familiar and good blending of cocktail, whereas NH is not usual but good blending...that seems a training required...in my opinion.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #12,439 of 15,268
Are the XMF Ori Pads still the best option for the maintaining the X2s original sound? Are people cutting holes in the pads for the 3.5mm jack or just tucking them down. I love my X2s but I they could be a wee bit more comfortable and a lot less prone to dust buildup.

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #12,440 of 15,268
Hello guys , i am thinking to make a fidelio x2 purchase for -50% , great deal but i saw a review on the youtube with a guy telling that the sub-bass get distorted when you crank the volume up and i really get my headphones loud to levels that most people wont....
I am mainly listening to house , deep house , party mixs and beats. I also game a lot so i need some powerfull and full bass.
Are this headphones for me? Will i run problems with distortion?

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #12,441 of 15,268
Depends if you got a good amp. Mine does not distort with the Dragonfly Red even at painful volume levels. But imo Bass sounds better on lower to medium high volume settings.

Tested @ 60% Volume volume which is LOUD... guess about 115-120db

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #12,442 of 15,268
Depends if you got a good amp. Mine does not distort with the Dragonfly Red even at painful volume levels. But imo Bass sounds better on lower to medium high volume settings.

Tested @ 60% Volume volume which is LOUD... guess about 115-120db

Thats a good test with a lot of bass , dat video clip though :joy:!
How would you decribe the bass?
I have the fiiO A3 and a decent on board audio card , the crystal sound 2 rated at 112 dB SNR ( wasnt enough though, games and moderate quality audio isnt as loud as downloaded flac files) with a good dac support , so my sound is always clear.
The model on sale is the Fidelio X2/00 not the newer X2HR/00 , i dont know if theres any big differences. :confused:

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #12,443 of 15,268
Hello guys , i am thinking to make a fidelio x2 purchase for -50% , great deal but i saw a review on the youtube with a guy telling that the sub-bass get distorted when you crank the volume up and i really get my headphones loud to levels that most people wont....
I am mainly listening to house , deep house , party mixs and beats. I also game a lot so i need some powerfull and full bass.
Are this headphones for me? Will i run problems with distortion?

Yes, they measurably distort in the below about 100 hz. Check out the measurements here: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf

However, this is a pretty common issue and does not necessarily mean that the headphone is no good. In fact, the highly revered HD 650 has very similar measured distortion in the low-end: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

Generally, distortion in the low-end is much less noticeable than it would be in other areas of the audible spectrum. How much it bothers you will depend on your own ears. Personally, I notice the muddiness and looseness of the low-end, but I don't usually mind it. And, I probably only notice it because most of my listening is done on planars or with balanced armatures, both of which tend to have lower distortion at the bottom.

I don't know about your budget or your rig, but it would likely be a better move to get a headphone with much lower distortion in the bass and then EQ the quantity to where you want it. X2's are tuned bassy for a lot of music, but I don't think they will scratch the itch for a basshead listening to hard-hitting stuff. Listening loudly and EQ'ing the bass up will only increase the distortion.

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #12,444 of 15,268
Yes, they measurably distort in the below about 100 hz. Check out the measurements here: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf

However, this is a pretty common issue and does not necessarily mean that the headphone is no good. In fact, the highly revered HD 650 has very similar measured distortion in the low-end: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

Generally, distortion in the low-end is much less noticeable than it would be in other areas of the audible spectrum. How much it bothers you will depend on your own ears. Personally, I notice the muddiness and looseness of the low-end, but I don't usually mind it. And, I probably only notice it because most of my listening is done on planars or with balanced armatures, both of which tend to have lower distortion at the bottom.

I don't know about your budget or your rig, but it would likely be a better move to get a headphone with much lower distortion in the bass and then EQ the quantity to where you want it. X2's are tuned bassy for a lot of music, but I don't think they will scratch the itch for a basshead listening to hard-hitting stuff. Listening loudly and EQ'ing the bass up will only increase the distortion.
Thanks for your detailed reply , i did mention in my previous post that i have a good crystal sound 2 from x99 platform audio onboard and a fiio A3 amp with great results.
My budget is as tight as 200€
I have used the Sony mdr950ap and came with major flaws like when i cranked up the volume the mids where going like a helicoper effect , the bass was so good but clearly they are not designed for loud listening.
Yes i am the guy that uses the bass boost if my set can handle it , do you have any other good basshead set recommendation within my budget?

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #12,445 of 15,268
Thanks for your detailed reply , i did mention in my previous post that i have a good crystal sound 2 from x99 platform audio onboard and a fiio A3 amp with great results.
My budget is as tight as 200€
I have used the Sony mdr950ap and came with major flaws like when i cranked up the volume the mids where going like a helicoper effect , the bass was so good but clearly they are not designed for loud listening.
Yes i am the guy that uses the bass boost if my set can handle it , do you have any other good basshead set recommendation within my budget?

I am mostly a sub-bass guy myself. I like the really deep extension and the ruler-flat FR from 500 hz down (hell, from 2k down would be ideal). So, I gravitate towards the planar magnetic cans. They respond very well to bass boost, since they have really low extension to begin with, and the good ones have some of the physical smack of dynamic drivers too. The problem is that they need a lot of current for the bass to sound great and the less expensive models like the HE-4XX through Massdrop have a rolled off low-end anyway.

If you don't mind sub-bass roll-off, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 sounds relatively close to the X2s. I would even say that it is likely technically superior, though not as even tonally. But, it doesn't suffer from the same levels of distortion in the low-end as the X2s. Regardless, a good sealed dynamic driver might be the way to go.

Lastly, if you are open to IEMs, the TFZ Series 5S is a monster. You'll have to EQ the mids down a bit so they don't sound weird (or so I think), but they have excellent pronounced bass. Great for EDM and such. Even better, they respond well to bass boost of even 9db (as high as I go). At those levels, everything sounds like EDM. :wink:

Aug 25, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #12,446 of 15,268
Recently bought a sennheiser GSX 1000 and I was wondering how the virtual 7.1 would work coupled with the fidelio x2 compared to a dedicated gaming headset with virtual 7.1. I currently pair the GSX with my portable headphones of choice, the Sony MDR1000 and while the sound is certainly loud and clear enough, I seem to get better spacial awareness from my astro a50. I don't know if I have the sennheiser incorrectly configured, but I followed the instructions to the latter so unless sennheiser neglected to mention something I don't know what's up.

Would I necessarily see any benefit to using the x2 over the MDR1000 or even the astro a50? Thanks :)

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #12,447 of 15,268
I had the DT 770 Pro 80 and it cant compete with the X2 at all. Even if you ONLY factor in bass the X2 is still better. If you want some "high end" headphones which suits your sound profile i would totally recommend the X2 especially for the price they are available at the moment. Its just a steal!

If you only focus on loud and heavy bass you should look here https://head-fi.org/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/ or just get the J.V.C HA-SZ2000 :p

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #12,448 of 15,268
I had the DT 770 Pro 80 and it cant compete with the X2 at all. Even if you ONLY factor in bass the X2 is still better. If you want some "high end" headphones which suits your sound profile i would totally recommend the X2 especially for the price they are available at the moment. Its just a steal!

If you only focus on loud and heavy bass you should look here https://head-fi.org/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/ or just get the J.V.C HA-SZ2000 :p
Well , i couldnt get the JVC SZ2000 , i could find these only in japan and an import would totally rip me off , in the best scenario i would pay twice the price for them completely out of my budget+ the build quality seems so crap+bad pads....
I just ordered the fidelio x2 for -50% from amazon.de, co.uk and .fr neither had the discount , they did get the credit from dt770 pro 80ohm due to being open back , i believe that they will serve me good and close this gap between speakers and closed headphones , cant wait until 30 August ! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back