Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #12,406 of 15,268
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #12,407 of 15,268
I use an iFi Micro iDSD for my X2, pairs very well. It has plenty of juice for most any headphone you might need to run, with the bonus that it has a battery and if you need to you can use it as a portable DAC/Amp. (It's hefty for a portable though.)

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #12,409 of 15,268
^^I agree. The iFi Micro iDSD Black Label is an incredible value. It has a number of options for altering the sound to your taste, can operate as a portable or desktop solution, and will drive just about everything well, from sensitive IEMs to current-hungry planars. You can frequently find one new for around $400.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #12,410 of 15,268
lmgb9vefthbz.jpg

I got both the X2 and the X2HR. Ask me anything you wanna know.

Look so good, bro! I use Razer Man'Wa

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #12,411 of 15,268
Hey, no worries. Nearly everything about the 4XX is speculation at this point, and I think Massdrop is cultivating the impression that they are basically the 400i.

You are spot on with your description of the 650's vs the X2's. I might add that I found Senns to have a warm tilt, but less of a v-shaped presentation than the X2's. The X2's do have great soundstage, but I think it's a bit artificial sounding with the slightly recessed mids. Less of that effect with the 650's. With the amp I heard them on, they didn't seem veiled either. Comparatively, the 400i sounds more linear and neutral, and has slightly less soundstage, but noticeably better separation and imaging that the X2's.

It's a funny thing: many headphones this or that better than the X2s (separation & imaging, as you note; sub-bass; treble extension; pinpoint imaging; on and on)--yet few headphones are as fun, relaxing, and musical as the X2s. I burned in my new X2s for 100 hrs, as I do for just about everything. Then started listening to them via my only (at the time) amp, the FiiO E10K, and the X2s wowed me from the first note. Instant headphone love. A couple months later I had to common sense to buy the Lake People G109-A amp, which was a revelation driving the X2s...everything I liked about these headphones got even better.

For the past couple weeks I've been playing around with different earpads (Brainwavz round pleathers) on the X2s, which changed all kinds of subtle sonic qualities of the X2s in unexpected ways (it seems to be amp=dependant). But none of it really sounds as satisfying as the stock velour pads. The X2s are just an enjoyable, musical design IMO.

Re the HD650, my friend, who borrowed the modded pair from his friend in (I believe it is) S. Korea, told me that the mods we intended to minimize the stock headphone's tilt towards warmth, as well as a slight resonant/reverberant quality in the midrange/upper midrange (which I heard to some degree in the stock HD600, so at least I know what it is). The mods accomplished these objectives very well--after mods, this pair of HD650's sounded very neutral, detailed, high resolution, but not bright or off-putting. The soundstaging was something I'd never heard: not especially wide or deep, but pinpoint locations of instruments and notes. A crystalline, revealing sound overall, but ear-friendly. Also quite a comfortable, compact headphone. Nice design.

I hope to someday hear a stock HD650, too...

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #12,412 of 15,268
I supposed a separare dac and amp would be the best solution , but if you know of a dac/amp combo that work better anything in the 500-1000 € range is fine. Still rather new to the audiophiles world, so any hint is greatly appreciated.

If you're not against buying used I'd suggest the Burson Conductor V2+. It's an amazing unit on all accounts and although I've heard (and own) several great setups it's my favorite pairing for the X2's ans well as the HD650 (so should be good with the HD600 as well). €1,000 should be more than enough for a used one if you can find it.

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #12,413 of 15,268
It's a funny thing: many headphones this or that better than the X2s (separation & imaging, as you note; sub-bass; treble extension; pinpoint imaging; on and on)--yet few headphones are as fun, relaxing, and musical as the X2s. I burned in my new X2s for 100 hrs, as I do for just about everything. Then started listening to them via my only (at the time) amp, the FiiO E10K, and the X2s wowed me from the first note. Instant headphone love. A couple months later I had to common sense to buy the Lake People G109-A amp, which was a revelation driving the X2s...everything I liked about these headphones got even better.

For the past couple weeks I've been playing around with different earpads (Brainwavz round pleathers) on the X2s, which changed all kinds of subtle sonic qualities of the X2s in unexpected ways (it seems to be amp=dependant). But none of it really sounds as satisfying as the stock velour pads. The X2s are just an enjoyable, musical design IMO.

Re the HD650, my friend, who borrowed the modded pair from his friend in (I believe it is) S. Korea, told me that the mods we intended to minimize the stock headphone's tilt towards warmth, as well as a slight resonant/reverberant quality in the midrange/upper midrange (which I heard to some degree in the stock HD600, so at least I know what it is). The mods accomplished these objectives very well--after mods, this pair of HD650's sounded very neutral, detailed, high resolution, but not bright or off-putting. The soundstaging was something I'd never heard: not especially wide or deep, but pinpoint locations of instruments and notes. A crystalline, revealing sound overall, but ear-friendly. Also quite a comfortable, compact headphone. Nice design.

I hope to someday hear a stock HD650, too...

"Fun, relaxing, and musical" is a good way to put it. It's not terribly difficult to find a headphone that bests them in any one particular area, but what I love about the X2's is that they don't have any real faults. They are great as an all-rounder. I've been on the lookout for something with the same audio qualities and basic FR, but with more technical proficiency, and the closest I've come to that goal is the Fostex TH-900. That speaks well of the Philips, I think.

Most of my listening of the HD650 (a handful of hours at various auditions) has been done through the Violectric HPA v90, a very similar amp to the G109-A, and I can tell you that they pair very well. In fact, it was by far my favorite pairing for the headphone. If you do get a stock HD650, you will at least be hearing it very well-driven.

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #12,414 of 15,268
"Fun, relaxing, and musical" is a good way to put it. It's not terribly difficult to find a headphone that bests them in any one particular area, but what I love about the X2's is that they don't have any real faults. They are great as an all-rounder. I've been on the lookout for something with the same audio qualities and basic FR, but with more technical proficiency, and the closest I've come to that goal is the Fostex TH-900. That speaks well of the Philips, I think.

Most of my listening of the HD650 (a handful of hours at various auditions) has been done through the Violectric HPA v90, a very similar amp to the G109-A, and I can tell you that they pair very well. In fact, it was by far my favorite pairing for the headphone. If you do get a stock HD650, you will at least be hearing it very well-driven.

V90 is a great recommendation for the X2s...and I know from personal experience how good the Lake People G109-A is for the X2s (for just about everything, actually).

not sure if I mentioned this, most of my comparative listening of the X2s vs modded HD650 vs HD600 was done on the Violectric V281, which I've found really tells the truth about whatever signal it's sending the headphones. in fact, i'm a total Violectric/Lake People fanboy--great SS gear.

as for great all-rounder, my experience w/multiple headphones is not as extensive as others here--but IMO the best all-rounder I've heard is the ZMF Eikon. Imagine that trace of warmth + pinpoint detail, imaging, and resolution of the HD650; plus the best bass I've ever heard (strong sub-bass + flat bass/lower midrange); plus the best soundstaging overall that I've heard; plus treble that goes all the way up, but is not bright. That's the Eikon.

However, it's pretty big; has 300 ohm impedance; and costs $1,300. Not exactly an "everyman" design, or one you useful commuting. Then again, the X2s aren't ideal for commuting, either.

IMO, it's more practical to have several headphones that each do 80-90% of the sonic attributes you prize, than to try to find one that can do 99%. Then you get the fun of changing up headphone whenever the urge strikes. And if have multiple amps, you get all kinds of interesting pairings.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #12,416 of 15,268
Thank you very much for your reply. :)

I havê a couple of questions though.... Other hd650, hd600 and x2 owners (or who havê tested all of these) feel free to answer as well please... :)

Would you say that the hd600 and hd650 are superior headphones to the x2? By this i mean in terms of technicality, texture, resolution, etc....

As i said before i AM a hd25 fan and also a momentum over ear fan and i have been trying to find a open over ear pair that matches those presentations without breaking the bank.

Luckily i had the chance to get a mint hd600 for 125 euros and i got the x2s brand new from amazon for 139.

I like the hd600 and i may feel that they havê more resolution and detail in the highs and mids but unfortunately i feel that they are somewhat lacking in the bass for electronic music (although not thin sounding at all) and also there is somethig on the hd600 that messes up my hearing. I get ringing buzzing on my ears after a couple of minutes with them.

I always thought of getting the hd650 to see if it suíts me better but here is the question.... Having the hd600 and Fidélio x2 would i really get anything new from a hd650? What would i win/loose? I want more bass on the hd600 and a bit more musicality or warmth but despiste the ringing on my ears i kind of wanted to maintain a similar mids and highs presentation because their resolution is awesome and make electric guitars sound raw and powerfull (like a hd25 that lacks bass extension but still hás nice impact and cymbals).

Another thing that makes me question my need to buy the hd650 is the x2s current pricing... I got my x2s for 139 on prime day but they can still be bought on amazon for 159 while the hd650 costs 320 euros and a AMP is still needed... Is the hd650 really worth double of the price of the x2?

Thank you...

Sorry for late reply. Based on what you said, i recommend the Nighthawk with dragonfly red. Yes Nighthawk is expensive but they are much easier to get great sound than HD650, especially in the bass compartment. You could be saving on the source side of things and if you want to upgrade them in the future you can too. HD650 has only slightly more bass. If you want significantly more warmth from the HD650, you need to go to the dangerous and expensive route of using tube amps.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #12,417 of 15,268
Is anybody using the X2 with a Dragonfly Red?

At the moment i got a Audioquest Nighthawk with a ifi nano idsd LE. Just bought the X2 and i love its sound (I even like it better than the Nighthawks!) but i wanna test both the Nighthawk and the X2 with a Dragonfly Red and see if they sound any different.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #12,419 of 15,268
I AM living the x2s as well. :) everything from the build to the sound.... As i sais before it may not havê the detail or resolution of the hd600 but this is only noticeable when comparing both. Also the x2s signature is definitly my cup of tea since i like headphones like the hd25 and m50x and also they are super easy to drive. They may not be the best but for the build, sound quality and signature.... Damn for 139 euros they are awesome....

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #12,420 of 15,268
Tonight I'm listening to my X2s + their new Brainwavz round pads on the 3rd headphone amp, the Lake People G109-A. And the weirdness continues: w/the Brainwavz pads on, the X2s sound totally different on each amp. Almost like they're different headphones.

On the G109-A, the X2's sound as flat, neutral, and controlled as I've ever heard them. I could see someone using this particular rig to monitor recording mixes--kind of odd, since I could never see the stock X2s being used that way. Listening to them on the G109-A tonigh, if I didn't know it was the X2s, I'd think I was hearing a solild, medium cost closed back design w/some kind of venting (because there's no "pressurized" feeling around my ears). But in terms of pure sound, they're so well behaved:
  • excellent bass, quite level, controlled & accurate w/no apparent peaks or valleys
  • soundstaging is unlike the X2s w/stock pads. Now it's not particularly wide or deep, "nothing special" soundstaging. Sounds more like a good closed back than the X2s I know and love.
  • midrange is pretty good; treble is relatively detailed & clear. again, no peaks or valleys
What I'm hearing on the G109A right now is rather different from these same headphones + pads through my V281 or Liquid Carbon. These pads are having quite an effect on the X2s' sound--I get different X2s on every amp I try.

Overall, I like how the X2s sound on each amp w/the Brainwavz pads. On the other hand:
  • at the moment the X2s are the least predictable headphones I own--which is strange, since w/stock pads they're just about the steadiest, most predictable headphones I own (ie, they always sound just like themselves).
  • no matter how good they sound w/Brainwavz pads on any of my amps, they never quite hit the "sonic sweet spot" like they always do w/stock pads. somehow they're not as "fun" w/the Brainwavz pads, though they're way more controlled and accurate.
This has been a fascinating & surprising pad-rolling experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back