Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 21, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #12,077 of 15,268
Just got this baby and I thought posting my pre-burn in impression might be helpful to some. I run them with Mojo.

Some early obvervations:

1. Bass is not as boosted as I expected. I would still consider them as fairly neutral. I don't think any bass head will be satisfied with the bass quantity.
2. There's a softness to the dynamics and PRAT. Hopefully, this gets better after burn in.
3. It is also quite grainy and has a 'noisy' background.
4. Soundstage is a surprise. Usually, headphones pre-burn in have shallow depth but these have good depth out of the box.
5. Comfort is exceptional. The headband is a little tight but that is fine as it will loosen over time. Earcups are plenty deep and wide. Definitely could wear these all day.

I auditioned the HD650 a week ago and these are some comparison just from my memory:

1. 650 have better detail retrieval in mids and treble.
2. Lacking in bass quantity and quality
3. Distorts even with moderately loud volume
4. Smaller but better define soundstage. However, it has the typical three blob soundstage that older headphones have. 
5. Comfort is a letdown. High clamp pressure and ears touching the driver cover.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #12,078 of 15,268
Quick impressions from having them on for about an hour:
I feel a TEENY TINY imbalance (more sound in left), but it may just be me (placebo effect?) from reading about it so much. Fortunately its hooked up to my soundcard which lets me balance sound in left/right and upping the right side volume with 4-5% for some reason seems more "balanced". Again, might just be me, but I'm gonna test it over the next few days.

Bass defo doesnt pack the same "punch" like my Aurvana live 2 but I guess its not rlly fair to compare full-closed to full-open when it comes to bass. I guess I also shouldnt be surprised by the fact that I can pretty much hear as much around me as if I werent wearing the headphones due to them being open (never had fully open headphones before). I'll probably get used to this though.

edit: just listened to a song on YT and litteraly heard an instrument from it I've never heard or noticed before ever. I guess open and wide soundstage really does bring out all instruments, awesome. Also bass seems much more "natural" in this song which I defo love compared to my old closed cans. I think im gonna like these. :)

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #12,079 of 15,268
Alright, they definitely have imbalance.

Been having my right channel upped with 8% more volume for a few hours now and when I slide it down to equal the left channel its obvious that its not balanced. But, I'm just gonna keep those 8% on the right channel which gives a perfect balance and not bother returning them. Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any indication on the box as to what year they are from.

So yeah, I guess its still a risk to purchase these headphones.

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #12,081 of 15,268
Quick impressions from having them on for about an hour:
I feel a TEENY TINY imbalance (more sound in left), but it may just be me (placebo effect?) from reading about it so much. Fortunately its hooked up to my soundcard which lets me balance sound in left/right and upping the right side volume with 4-5% for some reason seems more "balanced". Again, might just be me, but I'm gonna test it over the next few days.

Bass defo doesnt pack the same "punch" like my Aurvana live 2 but I guess its not rlly fair to compare full-closed to full-open when it comes to bass. I guess I also shouldnt be surprised by the fact that I can pretty much hear as much around me as if I werent wearing the headphones due to them being open (never had fully open headphones before). I'll probably get used to this though.

edit: just listened to a song on YT and litteraly heard an instrument from it I've never heard or noticed before ever. I guess open and wide soundstage really does bring out all instruments, awesome. Also bass seems much more "natural" in this song which I defo love compared to my old closed cans. I think im gonna like these. :)
Wait till these burn in..you haven't heard the best of them yet.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #12,082 of 15,268
  If the return is easy enough for you, why not take the chance? You might find yourself with a better pair.

I have 14 days right of return. But how exactly is a different pair gonna be better? I mean, the balance is fixable by adjustnig the volume, so would a working pair sound different?
Wait till these burn in..you haven't heard the best of them yet.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to it. :D

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #12,083 of 15,268

If the return is easy enough for you, why not take the chance? You might find yourself with a better pair.

I have 14 days right of return. But how exactly is a different pair gonna be better? I mean, the balance is fixable by adjustnig the volume, so would a working pair sound different?

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate. How do you know an unflawed pair wouldn't sound better? What if there is more wrong with them than you know? What if they don't sound as good as X2's are supposed to sound, but you don't have another pair to compare? If I buy something and it's defective, I try a replacement if possible before doing the "Well, I guess I can live with this". 

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #12,084 of 15,268
After burning them in for 1day, the dynamics certainly improved and treble is more present. Before burn in, they are quite dark. Now they are a bit sibilant. Before burn in, they are definitely darker than HD650. Now i would say they are in between HD600 and 650. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #12,085 of 15,268
I can also report that the X2 are surprisingly easy to drive. Straight out of my Ipad Air2, it sounds decent but not terrible which i find 300Ohms headphone always do. Out of my laptop, dynamics are good and most people would't know if it can do better. Out of my Mojo, there's definitely a bit more dynamics but not a big difference. So yeah, X2 needs just a tiny bit of power.

From my initial impression, it seems like X2 is not very resolving. I would say they are in between the HD5XX and HD6XX. Which is a bit dissaapointing as they are suppose to be HD6XX comeptitors. My comments are based on the detail in the midrange. I can't comment on the treble area as they have not fully burn in yet. Bass is of course much better than HD6XX. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #12,086 of 15,268
These headphones are like a hug for your head. Extremely comfy. Trebble is a little light but music sound full and warm. Highly recommend pairing with repetitive bassy music such as techno, deep house or liquid drum and bass.

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #12,087 of 15,268

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate. How do you know an unflawed pair wouldn't sound better? What if there is more wrong with them than you know? What if they don't sound as good as X2's are supposed to sound, but you don't have another pair to compare? If I buy something and it's defective, I try a replacement if possible before doing the "Well, I guess I can live with this". 

I guess thats true, zzzz. ****, I hate returning and waiting for replacements. Guess I have to though -_-

These headphones are like a hug for your head. Extremely comfy. Trebble is a little light but music sound full and warm. Highly recommend pairing with repetitive bassy music such as techno, deep house or liquid drum and bass.

Very comfortable but also very big, something to get used to. Although they have a tendency to creak in their plastic if you move about too much which I found rather annoying in the some hours I used them yesterday.

Oh, and the 3m cable, yeano.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #12,088 of 15,268

From my initial impression, it seems like X2 is not very resolving. I would say they are in between the HD5XX and HD6XX. Which is a bit dissaapointing as they are suppose to be HD6XX comeptitors. My comments are based on the detail in the midrange. I can't comment on the treble area as they have not fully burn in yet. Bass is of course much better than HD6XX. 

The grain is the only reason why I'm thinking about getting rid of them.

I'll take them off in favor of the HD650's definition, then take the 650's off in favor of the X2's soundstage/bass. 

Perhaps I'm doomed to own both.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #12,089 of 15,268
  The grain is the only reason why I'm thinking about getting rid of them.

I'll take them off in favor of the HD650's definition, then take the 650's off in favor of the X2's soundstage/bass. 

Perhaps I'm doomed to own both.

I can report that after few days of burn in, it's smooth and has pretty black background.

I got the X2 at almost half the price of HD650. So it's a no brainer to me.

The advantages of X2 are more comfortable, much bigger soundstage, less distortion when played loud and very easy to drive. The advantages of HD650 are more detail in midrange and treble, cheap spare parts.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #12,090 of 15,268
  I can report that after few days of burn in, it's smooth and has pretty black background.

I got the X2 at almost half the price of HD650. So it's a no brainer to me.

The advantages of X2 are more comfortable, much bigger soundstage, less distortion when played loud and very easy to drive. The advantages of HD650 are more detail in midrange and treble, cheap spare parts.

I've had mine for almost 3 years. There's no more burn in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back