Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 18, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #12,061 of 15,268
  Mine is a Gibson.  I love the bass with it, but I seem to have a real preference for warm toned headphones.  Since I've never heard the Woox version, I can't confirm or deny a difference in their sound.

Wish I could afford one of the Fostex/Denon headphones, but that may not happen for a long while.

Alright, thanks. :)
On Ebay I saw x2/27. It is the latest model?
Or Should I wait until a newer version?
Why there are several versions?

I read on reddit that x2/00 and x2/27 are the same thing just for different markets (maybe EU/US?). Either that or they just switched names when Gibson bought Woox. Nontheless, they should be identical.

A newer version, X2HR, is releasing in Europe early April. Not sure about US though, but Philips has live chat support where you can probably ask (when I asked, the live chat supporter didnt know but got back to me by mail a few days later with an answer.) Price on German Philips website is €349 but tech in EU tends to be more expensive than in the US due to taxes.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #12,062 of 15,268

So I got around making a silver coated cable for my hp and damn the sound signature is completely different from copper, I would say its somewhat brighter and the bass feels different, dunno if its better or worse but Im liking it. Need to go back and forth to find out and ill report my findings here later on.

Where can I buy?

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #12,067 of 15,268
Mar 20, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #12,069 of 15,268
The main selling point for X2 is the impedance of 32 ohms. It's uncommon to see open cans rated such low. This is not the best open cans in the range, honestly.
You've got better alternatives like Shure SRH1840.

I think the sound quality of X2 is almost matchable with my HD600 that too with no amp. In the previous X1's treble was bit too harsh, in the newer X2 the treble is controlled

Here are some of the cans I came up with.

Shure SRH1840
Sennheiser HD 700
Sennheiser HD 600
AKG Q701
Philips X2/27 Fidelio
Beyerdynamic DT-990
Sennheiser HD 598
(source)

If you are looking to drive your headphones out of your player, yes, X2 deserves a shot. It's the best under 200 bucks compared to Beyers DT990.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #12,070 of 15,268
The main selling point for X2 is the impedance of 32 ohms. It's uncommon to see open cans rated such low. This is not the best open cans in the range, honestly.
You've got better alternatives like Shure SRH1840.

I think the sound quality of X2 is almost matchable with my HD600 that too with no amp. In the previous X1's treble was bit too harsh, in the newer X2 the treble is controlled

Here are some of the cans I came up with.

Shure SRH1840

Sennheiser HD 700

Sennheiser HD 600

AKG Q701

Philips X2/27 Fidelio

Beyerdynamic DT-990

Sennheiser HD 598

(source)

If you are looking to drive your headphones out of your player, yes, X2 deserves a shot. It's the best under 200 bucks compared to Beyers DT990.

Imo the main selling point of the X2's is its overall performance. I own or have extensively auditioned all headphones on your list except the DT990 (which I'm 100% sure is not for me) and for my preferences the X2's are the best all-round performer of them all. Others will outperform them in certain areas but if I could only have one of those it'd be the X2's.

As always ymmw, different strokes for different folks, yada yada.......

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #12,071 of 15,268
Technically, X2 is superior than hd6xx. Because the magnet is Neo that allows smaller mass of voice coil be used.
This is reason why the impedance is low with respect to the same driving current, and hence dynamic mass is small so that the dynamic charaterisitics is better.
Furthermore, the voice coil  diameter is larger than that of usual phone (HD6x0), which allows good dynamic controll with minimum diaphram's mechanical influences as elastic membrane with some weight.
These are the reason why I ordered a pair based.
The phons are simply voice coil motors with requirment of good control of the amatures (voice coils) attached to diaphram that generate sound pressure which carries acoustic information.
All engineering qualities are reasonably good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back