Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 14, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #11,941 of 15,268
I am thinking of purchasing the X2.  These will be my first pair of nice headphones.  Is there a new model being released soon?  If so I may wait for the new release before I purchase.
Amazon currently has these listed at $247.70 which seems to be the best deal I can find at the moment.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #11,942 of 15,268
  I am thinking of purchasing the X2.  These will be my first pair of nice headphones.  Is there a new model being released soon?  If so I may wait for the new release before I purchase.
Amazon currently has these listed at $247.70 which seems to be the best deal I can find at the moment.

Yes, there's an upcoming model called X2HR scheduled to be released in March somewhere. So far nothing has been revealed about it though, other than it may have some different materials for the ear pads. From the specs page, it is technically speaking 100% identical to the X2.

Since the X2HR will probably be released at MSRP (roughly $350), you will do no harm going with the old X2 whether you wait or not. I would still wait for the release though, just to be sure.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #11,944 of 15,268
My X2's sound really grainy, especially compared to my HD650's. I actually prefer the K7XX to the X2's now. I was thinking about selling them because of this. Does anybody else have the same issue? I love the frequency response, i'm just missing the clarity.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #11,945 of 15,268
  My X2's sound really grainy, especially compared to my HD650's. I actually prefer the K7XX to the X2's now. I was thinking about selling them because of this. Does anybody else have the same issue? I love the frequency response, i'm just missing the clarity.

It's not an issue. X2's simply lack clarity vs HD650.....you just don't notice it unless you A/B them.X2 DOES win in soundstage by a good margin, though.

If you get a chance, try the TH-X00! I like mine even more than the HD650 :)

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #11,946 of 15,268
The treble on the X2 is a tad grainy. Certainly compared to the TH-X00, which has a more aggressive treble response but is quite smooth for what it is.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #11,947 of 15,268

Im just glad it was my ears and not the headphones and that it was not permanent. I thought i was going insane (not really though), hehe.
Yeah, now i can finaly relax and listen to the goodness, without interference.

If you ever need another pair of ears for anything, please feel free to PM me. I would like the opportunity to repay your favor.
I live in Norway, so if you ever need any assistance with anything norwegian related, im your man. 

I promise, if I ever need assistance with anything Norwegian in nature, you will be my first stop, lol. But seriously, you don't owe me, I had the time and the X2's, it really wasn't a problem. Glad it helped.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #11,948 of 15,268
Two days ago I got my friends hd 650's and 600 ...

I observed too much hd600-650 comments in the last pages, and I wanted to understand what went wrong for these people.

Jesus, how ? I mean, really, how could anybody even compare them with X2 ? 

Conjested, tiny, dull, no soundstage whatsoever, very hard to drive, depended on hardware too much... 

I tested them with mica origen, fx audio dac x6, fiio e10k, SB X7, my alc1150 onboard, Ipad Pro, and modi multi+magni combo... 

I played with EQ settings, used APO, tested them with many many diffrent situtation. Spotify Premium, Apple Music, flacs, movies, games ... 

How can anyone bear hd650 or hd600 after trying Fidelio X2 ?

First thing was the soundstage, hd600 had non, hd650 had some but nothing compare to the X2. Hell, even Dt770 had better soundstage in genaral. 

I thought it will be other wise. Beacuse I know that, treble and air means information-soundstage. I experienced it with my AD900X-1000x. 

But compared to the Senns, with 50mm and angled drivers, X2's were much more successful in the soundstage area. Games, movies were much more engaging and uncomperably better with X2.

Imaging is also better on X2 side.

600 and 650 have their treble area, a bit more information compare to X2 but nothing special there. With hd600 I had some fatigue even. 

And the BASS ??? OMG. X2' like god, 600 and 650 are worshippers. The hit, punch, oomph, quality, quantity wise X2 destroyed them. 

Resulotion was on par with each. 

Only and only good side of hd600/650 was Mids... Especially on female vocals, they shine. "Gortoz A Ran" from Greta Bradman gave me goosebumps with hd650. X2's are bit recessed in mids on female vocals. Male vocals still on par, in my opinion.

But thats it guys. Only some female vocals with good mastering/recordings.

On the other hand, X2's were more coherent, with punchier bass, less fatiguing, much bigger soundstage, with much more 3D or 360 sound, much more enveloping sound, layered.

I had them 48 hours. Listened and tested in very diffrent conditions and gears.

I apologize for this statement, but who says "hd600/650s are better than X2" should have their ears checked.

I think hd600/650 are showing their ages. Sennheiser must refresh them. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #11,949 of 15,268
  Two days ago I got my friends hd 650's and 600 ...

I observed too much hd600-650 comments in the last pages, and I wanted to understand what went wrong for these people.

Jesus, how ? I mean, really, how could anybody even compare them with X2 ? 

Conjested, tiny, dull, no soundstage whatsoever, very hard to drive, depended on hardware too much... 

I tested them with mica origen, fx audio dac x6, fiio e10k, SB X7, my alc1150 onboard, Ipad Pro, and modi multi+magni combo... 

I played with EQ settings, used APO, tested them with many many diffrent situtation. Spotify Premium, Apple Music, flacs, movies, games ... 

How can anyone bear hd650 or hd600 after trying Fidelio X2 ?

First thing was the soundstage, hd600 had non, hd650 had some but nothing compare to the X2. Hell, even Dt770 had better soundstage in genaral. 

I thought it will be other wise. Beacuse I know that, treble and air means information-soundstage. I experienced it with my AD900X-1000x. 

But compared to the Senns, with 50mm and angled drivers, X2's were much more successful in the soundstage area. Games, movies were much more engaging and uncomperably better with X2.

Imaging is also better on X2 side.

600 and 650 have their treble area, a bit more information compare to X2 but nothing special there. With hd600 I had some fatigue even. 

And the BASS ??? OMG. X2' like god, 600 and 650 are worshippers. The hit, punch, oomph, quality, quantity wise X2 destroyed them. 

Resulotion was on par with each. 

Only and only good side of hd600/650 was Mids... Especially on female vocals, they shine. "Gortoz A Ran" from Greta Bradman gave me goosebumps with hd650. X2's are bit recessed in mids on female vocals. Male vocals still on par, in my opinion.

But thats it guys. Only some female vocals with good mastering/recordings.

On the other hand, X2's were more coherent, with punchier bass, less fatiguing, much more bigger soundstage, with much more 3D or 360 sound, much more enveloping sound, layered.

I had them 48 hours. Listened and tested in very diffrent conditions and gears.

I apologize for this statement, but who says "hd600/650s are better than X2" should have their ears checked.

I think hd600/650 are showing their ages. Sennheiser must refresh them. 

I will absolutely, positively, 75% disagree with your opinions (exceptions noted below). But that's the beautiful thing about opinions, we're free to agree or disagree and discuss, eh?

I pretty much only listen to music, so my value of X2's great soundstage (though I certainly appreciate it) is likely less than someone who does more gaming or movie watching.

And I do agree X2 has greater sheer bass volume......I have been remiss in not mentioning that.

Other than those 2 things though, HD6XX (read: HD650) is a clear step up the progression path to my ears (when properly amped). And lest you think I'm a Sennheiser fanboy, I consider my TH-X00 another step above that :p

I'm not bashing on X2..they actually have a pretty unique skillset. I do still love my pair, they're not leaving my collection anytime soon. But currently my Stax and X00 are hogging all my ear time, and likely will for some time :)

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #11,950 of 15,268
@freshmind

On one hand I like that you speak so openly about the X2. They're my favorite headphones too. On the other hand, you're kinda contradicting yourself here. At first you bring up that X2 and HD 600/650 cannot even be compared. But the reason why they can't be compared is vastly different.

As I've said before, I know of people who own both a pair of 650 as well as X2, and rightfully so. They're both designed for completely different use cases. X2 are your fun cans for movies, games, and bassy music. Sennheiser is for when you want to be analytical/flat.

I love my X2, but I would never in a million years choose them over Sennheiser if I was listening to Classic, Soul, etc.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #11,951 of 15,268
I got the X2's and have had them for about 5 days and probably listened to them on average over a total of 40-50 hours and while I love the build quality and how comfortable they are I am having a hard time appreciating their sound.

They definitely have the punchier bass I was looking for but I still find it underwhelming. I've also been getting minor headaches while listening to music with them and that's something I've never experienced before. It's like some noises are too sharp or something. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #11,953 of 15,268
Got my X2's today. I must say, I'm not overly impressed after 8 hours of using them. I needed headphones mostly for gaming.

They are too boomy. Bass is too strong. Everything goes boom, even when just selecting something in a game, the click sound has a boom with it. The TV eq is neutral.

Also, I find that the large soundstage that these supposedly have, are overrated. Can't hear footsteps in Battlefield 1 or 4.

In GTA, every slightest noise has much bass to them. Crashing in to a lamp post goes boom.

And, it's far too heavy. After only an hour, my neck was hurting alot. Took them off, and recovered within 10 minutes. Put them back on, and neck was hurting again within 20 minutes.

So I obviously know I have no long-term use with them.

Plus, they look so stupid when wearing them. Like something E.T would wear, that massive floating outer head band ergh. Oh, I don't have big ears at all yet the cups don't go fully over my ears. Parts of the ear pads rest on my ear.

Now these are great for movies and music, but for gaming they suck. Too much sound on your ear, too much bass. Doesn't sound like things are around you or in the distance.

The X2 sounds only marginally better than the Hyperx Cloud 2.

I don't know if I should keep them. But what's the alternative?

The AD900x? These would have been my first choice for their praised huge soundstage and positional imaging with acceptable bass. But the non detachable cable and stupid wing design which ends up making the headphones rest on your ears was a deal breaker for me.

The K712? I also wanted these, but I don't have an amp and dac to run them. One day I want to get the Soundblaster X7. Also, I read a lot about the elastic lasting only a few months. And the left cup getting sound problems early on. Plus the proprietary cable connection messes up the connection to the headphones if the cable is accidentally tugged on.

I'm lost. I don't know what to do...

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #11,954 of 15,268
Got my X2's today. I must say, I'm not overly impressed after 8 hours of using them. I needed headphones mostly for gaming.

They are too boomy. Bass is too strong. Everything goes boom, even when just selecting something in a game, the click sound has a boom with it. The TV eq is neutral.

Also, I find that the large soundstage that these supposedly have, are overrated. Can't hear footsteps in Battlefield 1 or 4.

In GTA, every slightest noise has much bass to them. Crashing in to a lamp post goes boom.

And, it's far too heavy. After only an hour, my neck was hurting alot. Took them off, and recovered within 10 minutes. Put them back on, and neck was hurting again within 20 minutes.

Plus, they look so stupid when wearing them. Like something E.T would wear, that massive floating outer head band ergh. Oh, I don't have big ears at all yet the cups don't go fully over my ears. Parts of the ear pads rest on my ear.

Now these are great for movies and music, but for gaming they suck. Too much sound on your ear, too much bass. Doesn't sound like things are around you or in the distance.

The AD900x? These would have been my first choice for their praised huge soundstage and positional imaging with acceptable bass. But the non detachable cable and stupid wing design which ends up making the headphones rest on your ears was a deal breaker for me.

The K712? I also wanted these, but I don't have an amp and dac to run them. One day I want to get the Soundblaster X7. Also, I read a lot about the elastic lasting only a few months. And the left cup getting sound problems early on. Plus the proprietary cable connection messes up the connection to the headphones if the cable is accidentally tugged on.

Posts like this really end up showing me how subjective headphones can be - because I am having a really hard time appreciating my X2's but for entirely different reasons. The weight and design are perfect for me but I feel like they don't have enough bass funnily enough. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #11,955 of 15,268

I suggest giving X2 a longer trial before deciding. Give them an honest week. You might not think it now, but you DO get used to the weight over time.......and after that, they're so comfortable they almost disappear.

My gaming-oriented suggestion besides X2 would be the Massdrop AKG K7XX. FAR less bass, but much clearer and similar-ish soundstage width. However, they're much harder to drive and I highly suggest an amp with them.

That being said, of the dozen or so headphones I own the 2 AKG models just don't.....engage me for whatever reason, despite doing all the right things. I think I'm just not a fan of the AKG house sound. X2 had "the magic" for me, K7XX didn't. But that's based on musical listening, not gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back