Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #11,911 of 15,268
  For those using Equalizer APO, care to share your settings?

I've been lowering the bass and increasing the mids to bring them more forward.

Funny, I did the exact opposite. Don't like the airiness of the default mids and instead went for a little extra bass. Also fixing the treble spike at 9,500 Hz and the small channel imbalance of the Schiit Fulla 2:

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #11,912 of 15,268
Someone posted this review on the flagship thread:

http://www.verumsonus.com/philips-fidelio-x2/

These sentences confirm what I'm hearing. which is probably why I eq'd that way.  Interesting.

"Honestly, if it were my money, I wouldn’t buy the X2 at any price because the midrange is just distant enough for me to not enjoy them.  The basic sound signature of the X2 is a V-shape. They have elevated bass and elevated treble with a slightly recessed midrange."

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #11,913 of 15,268
Someone posted this review on the flagship thread:

http://www.verumsonus.com/philips-fidelio-x2/

These sentences confirm what I'm hearing. which is probably why I eq'd that way.  Interesting.

"Honestly, if it were my money, I wouldn’t buy the X2 at any price because the midrange is just distant enough for me to not enjoy them.  The basic sound signature of the X2 is a V-shape. They have elevated bass and elevated treble with a slightly recessed midrange."

Well, another set of ears, and another personal sound preference. That's his prerogative. I fanatically love mine, and paid full price.

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #11,915 of 15,268
Quote:
 TL;DR: The X2 is a good V-shaped headphone. It’s not very good if you are looking for something neutral.

It was never intended to be neutral either, or at least that's what I think. These don't even attempt to be your average studio monitors, they're fun cans. Also, why are the mids being complained about when it was already made clear it was a V-shaped headphone? Somehow this seems contradictory to me.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #11,917 of 15,268
  Quote:

It was never intended to be neutral either, or at least that's what I think. These don't even attempt to be your average studio monitors, they're fun cans. Also, why are the mids being complained about when it was already made clear it was a V-shaped headphone? Somehow this seems contradictory to me.

I'm almost completely positive you're correct in that X2 was never intended to be a "neutral" headphone. Not even close.

That's why I have 2 different categories in my collection, I have a "neutral/natural" category, and a "fun/bass-heavy" category. By selecting one from each category and creating a "matched pairing", theoretically all your bases should be covered :)

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #11,918 of 15,268
I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing the X2's or the K712's. Spoke to an assistant regarding the X2's early flawed Gibson model from the online store I'll be buying it from. She says that the batch her store has was manufactured in Nov 2016. So should it be fine then?

And if so, I'm torn between the X2's and the K712's. They're the same price for me right now around £180.

But I don't have an amp+dac for the K712, maybe sometime later in the year I'll get into that.

I'm totally new to the audiophile world, and am currently running the Hyperx Cloud 2 from my TV. Turned up to 75 and it's nice, loud and clean. So I know the X2's will do well through the TV. But what about the K712's? Will they do well through the TV?

That's a tough one. I got the k712 pro about 2 weeks ago, and the X2 about 4 days ago. I just went back and forth between the two, not sure what sound I like better. I like the feel of the K712 headband more, while I like the less open earpads of the x2 more. I can feel the driver shake in the left cup of the X2 with some low-end EQ, while the k712 with stock pads I can feel my ear touching the right driver.

Either way, both are amazing.
X2 is more V-shaped sounding.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #11,919 of 15,268
Look what I bought. So glad I finally got this, should make my life a lot easier, and it looks so nice too!

Oh, and also a headphone stand for my X2.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #11,922 of 15,268
So, I'm looking all over and in the box, and everywhere else to find the product number. Any help? Found the S/N easy within seconds..

Received the X2 on Tuesday, noticed that where the cable connects to the plugs seems to be a little faulty as movement of the cable causes cracking sounds while my 3 other HP's don't. Also If you touch the cable when it's plugged in, the left channel cuts out til you press the connection in a little again.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #11,923 of 15,268
So, I'm looking all over and in the box, and everywhere else to find the product number. Any help? Found the S/N easy within seconds..

Received the X2 on Tuesday, noticed that where the cable connects to the plugs seems to be a little faulty as movement of the cable causes cracking sounds while my 3 other HP's don't. Also If you touch the cable when it's plugged in, the left channel cuts out til you press the connection in a little again.
Try another cable if you have one on hand, as for the make of the HP check the bottom of the box, mine were Gibson made and no glue and wire is excellent. Where are you plugging these in?

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #11,924 of 15,268
Try another cable if you have one on hand, as for the make of the HP check the bottom of the box, mine were Gibson made and no glue and wire is excellent. Where are you plugging these in?

I do not, what would be a good replacement of equal or higher quality? Not looking to spend on custom cables.

This is Gibson acording to the bottom of the box as well. No complaints elsewhere!

Its connected to my Creative X7. Both 3.5 and 6.3 connections are doing this, but only with the X2.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #11,925 of 15,268
I do not, what would be a good replacement of equal or higher quality? Not looking to spend on custom cables.

This is Gibson acording to the bottom of the box as well. No complaints elsewhere!

Its connected to my Creative X7. Both 3.5 and 6.3 connections are doing this, but only with the X2.
Any really, I had a 3.5 to 3.5 generic cable and that worked out well, use when I'm wanting a shorter cable, you could probably get one really cheap just to help trouble shoot the obvious problem here, that you have a bad cable. Have you tried plugging it in to anything else? Stereo receiver, smartphone,etc,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back