Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 19, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #11,626 of 15,268
I've actually just created this account to share about my experience hitherto with these headphone haha. TL;DR at the end if youse can't be arsed to read me life story :p It'll be kind of detailed.. maybe long-winded.

First off, I'm relatively green when it comes to audio; so I don't know much about describing sound signature, proper audio setups, decibels and the like. In fact, I've made the jump from the bass-bloated Beats I was gifted a few years ago >_>, thus my ears won't be as trained to quality like much of you. I haven't a DAC/Amp either, so the main sources I listen from are an old laptop, an LG K10 smartphone , and a wireless Xbox One controller lol. Might get something like the SMSL SD793-II I heard of once on Reddit, before or after I build my first gaming PC around January.

Anyway, I intially heard about the X2's from Mad Lust Envy's headphone guide while looking for a good pair to game with. I read his review of the X2 and it seemed like everything I'd want in some good starter audiophile headphones; outstanding comfort and build, low impedance, open, great for movies, all types of gaming, all genres of music. Essentially an all-rounder to be used for anything. So I looked at other reviews/comments of listeners and audiophiles swearing by the amazing quality of the X2's, but also a lot of the QC issues they were having with the transition from WOOX to Gibson. Figuring most or all of those problems were fixed, being as that was nearly a year ago, I pulled the trigger and got them $250USD from Amazon as soon as they restocked on Nov. 8. 10+ days later they came in the mail, taking a bit longer than I'm used to for other items to arrive.

Looked on the box and on the manual, both read WOOX, but from way the retail box looked, I had a fleeting thought that it might've already been opened, at least a little damaged during transit.. had that "used" look to it. Perhaps that's cause it was shipped overseas, indicative of the time to shipping and Philips HQ in Amsterdam. Tag said it's new, so I didn't think much else of it. So I've listened to them for awhile, maybe like 10 hours gaming+music, and I think they sound great - sounding better with continued listening. Of course I've got nothing to really compare them to, but it's definitely a big step up from the Beats in every way (probably more with a DAC). That said, there are a few things that my OCD-self finds peculiar about these particular pair of headphones..
    --  I found a small blemish on the leather finish of the headband - a scratch about 1/2 an inch (1.27cm) at the top. The rings at the inner-edge of the ear cups don't look glued-in properly, especially on the left side as I had to try pushing one protruding end of the ring back in place next to the audio jack. When I turn my head to the left or push/pull a little inward on the cable when it's plugged in, I hear a small yet clear pop in the ear cup. It does temporarily cease if I just leave it be and use the headphones a while, but that sort of thing can drive me crazy lol.
    --  As for the sound itself, I tested it with this page as well as by normal use, and there's a subtle mismatch of the drivers on certain bass notes, the right being a tad more pronounced than the left. Now I think my ears may be slightly mismatched, but reversing the headphones showed that it wasn't my actually my ears, or at least, not wholly. With the X2's angled drivers, I'd imagine that simple method isn't the most accurate way of discerning imbalance.
   -   Also, on deep bass at high volume (80+ Windows volume on desktop PC and full volume on Xbone headset settings) there's a strange faint rattle, kinda like the "didgeridoo" sound a user mentioned a few dozen pages back, except not as severe or pervasive as his issue. It's fairly understated, varying at different times but normally present nonetheless, I believe more after listening with them a bit (or maybe when my hearing is fresh). I've read that it may have to do with the volume level and source signal or whatever, that a proper DAC would remedy it. Either way, given the other small quirks of that WOOX pair, I decided to take a gamble on returning them.

So, I ordered replacement through Amazon 3 days ago, and got the new pair today. I immediately noticed the retail box looked more crisp and clean compared to my first WOOX pair's box. Seemingly near brand new off production. There's also a "Hi-Res Audio" print on the top-right of the front side. Checking the bottom of the box, it showed up Gibson, and, lo and behold, the manual also showed Gibson.
   Inspecting the Gibson headphones, it looked almost identical to the WOOX pair, save for a small difference in the leather texture of the headband; The Gibson pair has some rougher ridges and ripples on the underside while the WOOX pair is smoother. Looking at the underside leather of the headband reveals a scratched spot. The ear pads look near identical as well, but the Gibson pads more easily fit over my ears than the WOOX ones when I first got those, having an imperfect oval shape and being a little thicker. Pads on the Gibson seem to have a more open oval shape and feel sort of stiffer against my head, but that may be cause their new. Neither pair of headphones have glued ear pads.

Comparing the sound between the two shows that they have a.. similar signature to me - virtually identical - though I noticed the Gibson is more recessed, dark..? Not sure how to describe it, but I think it's is a very very slight difference. Something else a bit more noticeable is that the already harsh highs on the WOOX headphones, which is inherent in all X2s, have a fairly more sibilant edge to them when heard on the Gibson cans. Not a large difference, but something I can hear and feel at times, like when firing a sniper rifle in BF4 haha. Could be that burning them in might bring those differences in line. Again, my ears aren't really trained to pick up on the nuances between headphones, so.. take that for what it's worth I guess.
   Bass on the Gibson and WOOX however, have a similar level of imbalance favoring the right. Maybe it's something that just is with the X2s, maybe it's also just my ears in part, cause sometimes I just don't even notice it, really. I do hear that there's still the faint "didgeridoo" rattle in the Gibson when playing deep loud bass. It's kind of less than the WOOX. Idk, more or less, whatever. Guess that's probably down to what source I'm listening from, then.
    The big problem with my Gibson pair, however, is that there is an annoying buzz/rattle which comes during low-level bass in the left driver. It can occur from around 10hz to about 60-70hz at most. This means I'm going to have to return these as well :/

Shame that headphones receiving the praise it does also had to deal with the poor quality control it did. At least it looks like those problems have been seen to, yet I guess there's still a few bad ones lingering around. It is what it is, but I still have faith the X2s are worth it. So hopefully third time's the charm with it. Also, I'd post a few pics for a direct comparison between the Gibson and WOOX I have, but ye, new account and all that.

TL;DR      Noobie-ness, over-thought, and placebo effect may have gotten the better of me on my first pair of WOOX X2s, but a few small oddities together could warrant a return. Got a replacement which happens to be Gibson according to the box. Aside from some minor differences, both headphones are identical in sound and build to me. The Gibson's have a buzz in the left ear cup, so will be returning them, hoping the second replacement is good and "perfect".

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #11,627 of 15,268
For the record, there have now been several reports in this thread - some recent, some historic - of a L/R imbalance in certain frequencies, normally bass. These correspond exactly with descriptions I've seen on two separate eBay auctions of X2 headphones in which the seller openly states that they were returned with customers complaining of such an imbalance, only for the store to not be able to identify or reproduce it. They were then selling them as possibly faulty, despite being unable to hear it themselves.

Consider that an unresolved question, it's obviously been mentioned too many times, in too many places, to be a coincidence but it's also hard to pin down. That eBay seller didn't do any formal diagnostics or measurements but simply said they couldn't hear it themselves.

edit - for posterity, I saw those auctions sometime in August/September 2016 and, as far as I can recall, they both referred to WOOX pairs.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #11,628 of 15,268
As I've mentioned before, my X2s also have a driver mismatch. However, to me it's a recess of highs, not bass. The left side is ever so slightly louder (which is clearly noticeable with hi-hats and female vocals). I've got them used from eBay (side note: without any mentions at all that the drivers are imbalanced! Gee, go eff yourself too), and the imprint in the headphones says Woox. Strangely, the bottom of the box says Gibson, so I don't really know what's up with that...

Anyway, I've ordered a new pair from Amazon that is set to arrive before Christmas. Since it is indeed marketed as new, I hope it's a Gibson model so I can make a direct comparison between the two. My hopes is that the new ones are perfectly matched and I can try to shab off my old ones somehow like my previous owner did.

It REALLY sucks for these headphones, as they are my personal heaven. I don't want to ever have to buy headphones again, once I find my perfect X2.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #11,629 of 15,268
The replacement X2's have arrived. What can I say? Freaking weird, I can definitely say that.

Good news first, the driver mismatch is definitely not on the new model. That being said, it has other key points that make it a considerable letdown as well. Namely, the highs.

Dear god the treble is sharp on the new ones. Piercingly sharp, to the point it hurts. I've been listening to a hip-hop song with aggressive S-sounds and it was an actual torture to endure. I have no idea if this is part of the burn-in process (after all, I bought my original pair used), or if this is caused by manufacturing differences. Interestingly though, the new pair still mentions WOOX in its imprint of the headband and the box mentions GIBSON. No idea what's up with that, but it looks like I got an old model again.

Before I send this one back and try a third pair, do any of you guys remember how the sharp highs were for you when your headphones were new?

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #11,630 of 15,268
I had the opposite problem where I thought the bass was overwhelming. I was quite disappointed by it actually. Things mellowed out over time and now it sounds great. 

In regards to the box, I understand that no matter who the manufacturer is, it says WOOX on the earcup. My box got destroyed when my basement got flooded, so I don't actually know what it said. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #11,631 of 15,268
  Things mellowed out over time and now it sounds great. 

In regards to the box, I understand that no matter who the manufacturer is, it says WOOX on the earcup.

Do you have any faint remembrance what "over time" means? Like, a week? Two months? A year?

Also, huh, had no idea WOOX was always imprinted.

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #11,632 of 15,268
  The replacement X2's have arrived. What can I say? Freaking weird, I can definitely say that.

Good news first, the driver mismatch is definitely not on the new model. That being said, it has other key points that make it a considerable letdown as well. Namely, the highs.

Dear god the treble is sharp on the new ones. Piercingly sharp, to the point it hurts. I've been listening to a hip-hop song with aggressive S-sounds and it was an actual torture to endure. I have no idea if this is part of the burn-in process (after all, I bought my original pair used), or if this is caused by manufacturing differences. Interestingly though, the new pair still mentions WOOX in its imprint of the headband and the box mentions GIBSON. No idea what's up with that, but it looks like I got an old model again.

Before I send this one back and try a third pair, do any of you guys remember how the sharp highs were for you when your headphones were new?

I had the opposite experience. The Woox one I bought in December 2014 was annoyingly sibilant to the point I returned it soon after. 

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a brand new Gibson pair. It's way less sibilant and when it is it's usually because of the recording/mastering.

If you have other similar headphones, do a comparison and see if you still hear those aggressive S-sounds. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #11,633 of 15,268

I purchased a pair of X2s in December 2015, I believe they are Woox, I know they had/have glued on pads. In any case, I never really noticed the harsh treble via my iPhone/Macbook/PC, nor with my SMSL SD793. Fast forward a year and I recently received an Aune X1s and a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. Initially I felt as though the X2s sounded slightly clearer with the Aune, albeit I really only tested them with classical music. After listening to the HD650s with the Aune X1s for a couple of days I decided to switch back to the X2s and test them with different genres... I was shocked at how much I disliked them, especially with hip hop.

I noticed the harshness of the treble immediately with Drake's vocals in "Fake Love". Initially I assumed this was just my ears having adjusted to the smoother 650s, but when testing the same song on my MacBook (both were via Tidal HiFi) I didn't notice the harshness on the high end nearly as much.

I guess the theory that certain headphones pair better with certain amps is true. I'm either going to use my X2s exclusively for gaming (paired with the V-Moda Boom Promic) or eventually sell them, since, for what I listen to, the 650s do everything more to my liking. In case anyone is curious the Aune X1s pairs extremely well with the HD650s... at least to my ears.

Again, I'm happy to have owned the X2s, they definitely sent me down the audio rabbit hole, but, save for gaming, I don't think they fit into my setup anymore.

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #11,634 of 15,268

Do you have any faint remembrance what "over time" means? Like, a week? Two months? A year?

Also, huh, had no idea WOOX was always imprinted.

Baycode does a good job describing the change over time. http://www.head-fi.org/t/729413/philips-fidelio-x2-a-review-by-baycode
From my own recollection, I think there was about a 1 week burn in period, then after that a very gradual change over another few weeks. They really mellowed out over time. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #11,635 of 15,268

I purchased a pair of X2s in December 2015, I believe they are Woox, I know they had/have glued on pads. In any case, I never really noticed the harsh treble via my iPhone/Macbook/PC, nor with my SMSL SD793. Fast forward a year and I recently received an Aune X1s and a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. Initially I felt as though the X2s sounded slightly clearer with the Aune, albeit I really only tested them with classical music. After listening to the HD650s with the Aune X1s for a couple of days I decided to switch back to the X2s and test them with different genres... I was shocked at how much I disliked them, especially with hip hop.

I noticed the harshness of the treble immediately with Drake's vocals in "Fake Love". Initially I assumed this was just my ears having adjusted to the smoother 650s, but when testing the same song on my MacBook (both were via Tidal HiFi) I didn't notice the harshness on the high end nearly as much.

I guess the theory that certain headphones pair better with certain amps is true. I'm either going to use my X2s exclusively for gaming (paired with the V-Moda Boom Promic) or eventually sell them, since, for what I listen to, the 650s do everything more to my liking. In case anyone is curious the Aune X1s pairs extremely well with the HD650s... at least to my ears.

Again, I'm happy to have owned the X2s, they definitely sent me down the audio rabbit hole, but, save for gaming, I don't think they fit into my setup anymore.

I might be mistaken, but I thought only the Gibsons had glued on pads. Previous posters have said that (for some inexplicable reason) both Gibson and WOOX are labeled WOOX on the headset, and you need to look at the box to be sure which you got.

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #11,636 of 15,268
  From my own recollection, I think there was about a 1 week burn in period, then after that a very gradual change over another few weeks. They really mellowed out over time. 

Okay, definitely seeing a difference already after these few hours. They still sound far away from my old pair, but at least the treble no longer causes ear bleeding. I've ran them through an hour of pink noise and that alone already seemed to have helped a lot.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #11,638 of 15,268
Just saw this on Phillips facebook page, Fidelio X2HR http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?scy=IT&slg=EN&ctn=X2HR/00 . Can't find many differences tough, is it a comfort oriented upgrade or just a name change to get rid of the bad press of the X2s? Myabe someone more knowledgeable than me can spot the differences?

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #11,640 of 15,268
Interesting they're rebranding it like that. I find it most hilarious that they're still using the promo image of a guy wearing an X1 with an upsidedown X2 cable. 

On another note, I've been using the X2 exclusively since I picked one up a week or so ago. I still stand by my previous assessments against the X1 that the X2 is better in terms of soundstage, separation, and more present mids, but the lower treble is a little odd and artificial compared to the X1. Overall though I think this is still an excellent choice in the price range. Considering they need no amplification and you can find them under 200 these days they're a real no brainer for those looking for an all-rounder headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back