Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 18, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #11,011 of 15,268
I understand that. What I mean by the question is that if I have a headphone how would I know when buying a dac/amp it will be a good pairing? I can figure out how many ohms an amp will power but isn't there more to amplifiers than that?

You want to know where a headphone is in terms of its signature [the way it sounds]. A headphone like the X2, you want to keep the output impedance under 4 ohms [I believe the impedance shoud not exceed 1/th of the headphone' impedance], though higher impedances might be chosen if one wants to color the headphone in a certain way.
So knowing what the headphone sounds like, X2 being very good bass [both extension and decent impact], decently present mids and slightly smoothed treble, you are looking at a solid state neutral to slightly bright amplifier, depending on budget there are choices.
With the X2, matching is not a big issue, but you don't want to be using a warm sounding amplifier or something tubey.
It is more a matter of pairing and synergy. You usually look for an amplifier where you want to change something on a headphone or feel like it is missing something, then you go out and look for an amplifier that suits that desire. If you like a headphone as is, then that's obviously also great 
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #11,012 of 15,268
I believe it's not clamping problem that you are annoyed by? If so bending won't help anything

Now, i know really well how the weight change from 598 to x2 can be very noticeable, i came from 558 myself. But honestly, that's just the way it is. X2 is considered pretty light, most high end headphones weight about the same or more.
I don't know if i can actually train my body to handle weight on head, it's been 1 year and sometime the weight annoys me after a few hours. I am not doing enough sport nowadays, so that maybe it
tongue.gif

Sometimes I spend way more than 2 hours with phones on.
And about the 598 - they had some really soft cushions and due to their much smaller size (they don't have that high arm on top) they feel differently when you move your head.

---

Just contacted Amazon and they said that it's possible to refund during the first month.
I think that I'll test these for a week more and then decide if I want to keep em (tough I like the sound :< ) Might consider washing the cushions meanwhile as well...

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #11,013 of 15,268
 X2s easily outperform HD6*0s for fun, EDM music enjoyent. The Senns win on neutral naturalness, and lifelikeness. But for music that has beats and bass, X2s are the better choice.
 And if you want to increase that fun and joy go for X00s. They are not perfect, but definitely better than X2s. If you like EDM, you like the space and bass of X2s, you have a decent amp/DAC, your next step is X00s. Without a question. Tighter, deeper bass. More fun. The DAC/amp you own however starts to play a more important role. 
You need to improve the components of your system simultaneously. Otherwise you start to loose capacity that you could enjoy for your money. 
 Source, DAC/amp, hps should come from the same category to bring out the most of each other. In my opinion this is something many head-fi users slip by. And many of them start to draw immature conclusions, regarding this attitude.
There is no ultimate perfect sound. But the final perfection can always be improved.
 I think, it is rather the enthusiasm and will of change than hearing the actually perfect sound signature.
New approaches of 'perfect sound' are actually more exciting than the present 'perfect sound.'.  

Jun 18, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #11,014 of 15,268
  Sometimes I spend way more than 2 hours with phones on.
And about the 598 - they had some really soft cushions and due to their much smaller size (they don't have that high arm on top) they feel differently when you move your head.

---

Just contacted Amazon and they said that it's possible to refund during the first month.
I think that I'll test these for a week more and then decide if I want to keep em (tough I like the sound :< ) Might consider washing the cushions meanwhile as well...

Sounds good. Try to listen to the X2 exclusively for a while, without switching to other headphones. Give your brain and head time to adapt 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #11,017 of 15,268
  For those of you who have recently been discussing washing the pads, have you noticed any difference in the pads' itchiness after washing?

Tried doing that just now.
As a result - nothing changed (and that's the good thing). The cover became a bit more smooth, but I think this will revert back in a few days.

----

Still testing how they fit me, and still not sure if I'll keep them.
What are the possible alternatives? Preferably with a bit less weight.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #11,018 of 15,268
can someone give me an overview of  fidelio X2 faulty units?! (not talking about the pads)

is it true? i read somewhere that actually there wasn't really any problem with the sound..or is there?!

im about to buy a( returned to store) unit, just wanna make sure..is there a way to identify faulty ones from good ones?

i dunno where else to ask so any help regarding this would help.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #11,019 of 15,268
hi everyone
did any body compare fidelio x2 with audeze lcd2?
i had not a chance for testing lcd2 ,and maybe buy it without testing.
i have fidelio x2 and i am very pleased with it.
please do your recommendation.thanks.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #11,020 of 15,268
hi everyone

I've sold LCD-2F after getting X2, it's just not worth the premium. The only thing missing is slightly smoother mids and better bass. Soundstage and imaging on X2 is much better.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #11,021 of 15,268
hi everyone

The one best way to know it is to audition it yourself, you'll be most happy with the sound that way

Lcd 2 is very2 expensive (at least in my country), and some people do think that the extra performance does worth the price. It is getting more subjective the nearer you're to the summit

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #11,022 of 15,268
thanks
unfortunately i can't test lcd2.
in my country you must pay the price and wait for importing it from other countries.
and there is no refound method for such things.
i bought the fidelio x2 blindly and just according to reviews.and i was good luck.
but i had bad experiments with another headphones and sold them approximately half the price after short while,and they were nearly new.

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #11,023 of 15,268
The LCD-2, I agree while having nice bass and good tonality, is not worth the premium IMO. you lose a lot of soundstage and the comfort and build quality is also worth mentioning. Plus, with Audeze reliability, you might have to send it back once in a while to have a driver replaced, which all adds up.

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #11,024 of 15,268
There are so many revisions of the lcd 2 kicking about now who knows what you will end up with?

I have direct experience of the 2.2 pre-fazor edition - nice headphones but very hard to drive.  It took some serious upgrades to my audio chain to get the best out them - and even then I preferred the x2s over them. 

The newer editions may be better but you should probably save your money and forget about audeze. 

IMO they are overpriced for what they offer.  Fiercely marketed status symbols but honestly there are better options out there

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #11,025 of 15,268
can someone give me an overview of  fidelio X2 faulty units?! (not talking about the pads)

is it true? i read somewhere that actually there wasn't really any problem with the sound..or is there?!

im about to buy a( returned to store) unit, just wanna make sure..is there a way to identify faulty ones from good ones?

i dunno where else to ask so any help regarding this would help.

Only risk is getting missmatched drivers. That applies to all X2s, regardless of mfrs.
Other than that, nope :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back