Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 22, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #11,026 of 15,268
Only risk is getting missmatched drivers. That applies to all X2s, regardless of mfrs.
Other than that, nope
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for the reply..i did read somewhere that sound is worse sometimes..i guess those people simply didn't like it.

the unit im about to buy has the barcode number 438157, from what i know the 1st two numbers represent manufacture country..and 40-44 is from Germany..

so i guess that's a good sign.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #11,027 of 15,268
thanks for the reply..i did read somewhere that sound is worse sometimes..i guess those people simply didn't like it.

the unit im about to buy has the barcode number 438157, from what i know the 1st two numbers represent manufacture country..and 40-44 is from Germany..

so i guess that's a good sign.

If you get a matched pair and don't like the sound, I still recommend trying the alternative pads :)
That's assuming you don't get an older version where they come standard.

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #11,028 of 15,268
   X2s easily outperform HD6*0s for fun, EDM music enjoyent. The Senns win on neutral naturalness, and lifelikeness. But for music that has beats and bass, X2s are the better choice.
 And if you want to increase that fun and joy go for X00s. They are not perfect, but definitely better than X2s. If you like EDM, you like the space and bass of X2s, you have a decent amp/DAC, your next step is X00s. Without a question. Tighter, deeper bass. More fun. The DAC/amp you own however starts to play a more important role. 
You need to improve the components of your system simultaneously. Otherwise you start to loose capacity that you could enjoy for your money. 
 Source, DAC/amp, hps should come from the same category to bring out the most of each other. In my opinion this is something many head-fi users slip by. And many of them start to draw immature conclusions, regarding this attitude.
There is no ultimate perfect sound. But the final perfection can always be improved.
 I think, it is rather the enthusiasm and will of change than hearing the actually perfect sound signature.
New approaches of 'perfect sound' are actually more exciting than the present 'perfect sound.'.  

Do you find that you are missing some elements with soundstage and imaging on the thx00's in comparison to your x2's, or are those things not of as much importance to you?

I'm very interested in the thx00's but I don't like a claustrophobic sound

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #11,029 of 15,268
  Do you find that you are missing some elements with soundstage and imaging on the thx00's in comparison to your x2's, or are those things not of as much importance to you?

I have been thinking about pulling the trigger in the x00s as well but I am worried I will not like the claustrophobic sound. That being said they are classified as semi-open so I am not really sure. 

That being said I wish the X2s were a little less bright. They are a little fatiguing after awhile. 

My point is there is no perfect headphone. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #11,030 of 15,268
Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2
Amp+DAC: Fiio E10k Olympus 2

This is my setup on Win10 http://imgur.com/bjE9Jj6

Is that setup correctly? Should I be using 24bit 96000hz instead?
I have my Windows volume level at 98 and I control the volume knob on the Fiio if I need it louder or quieter.

Any other pro-tips? I play music mostly through Soundcloud on my browser so I don't think I can have any cool music players through that, otherwise I use Spotify.

All tips are welcome, I am a newb and this is my first pair of High quality headphones +amp.

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #11,031 of 15,268

You definitely lose some soundstage and imaging going from the X2's to the X00's, but the X00's sound superior in pretty much every other respect, and being semi-closed I don't find them to be too claustrophobic, though obviously they don't sound like fully open headphones

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #11,032 of 15,268
  I have been thinking about pulling the trigger in the x00s as well but I am worried I will not like the claustrophobic sound. That being said they are classified as semi-open so I am not really sure. 

That being said I wish the X2s were a little less bright they are a little fatiguing after awhile. 

My point is there is no perfect headphone. 

The truth haha. I've been reading more thx00 reviews right before I came back here and most people still find it very good for a semi-closed headphone. 

tbh I think just about anything soundstage wise will seem small in comparison to the x2's once your brain is used to them. I just really don't like the dip in the lower mids for male vocals and crunchy guitars and i find the bass to be a bit too slow for hard rock/metal/prog. Everything else sounds so good though and well-mastered soft rock/folk/jazz rock and EDM are something to behold on the x2's. 

The thx00's reportedly have tighter, punchier bass, better lower mids of at the cost of upper mids, and slightly rolled off treble in comparison, with better speed and reduced but not poor soundstage. 

I think with EQ for the upper-mids/treble and the massive mod-ibility with different wood cups or even potentially open back mods for the thx00's, its hard to imagine how i could go wrong with them at this point. My ears will tell though.

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #11,034 of 15,268
  The truth haha. I've been reading more thx00 reviews right before I came back here and most people still find it very good for a semi-closed headphone. 

tbh I think just about anything soundstage wise will seem small in comparison to the x2's once your brain is used to them. I just really don't like the dip in the lower mids for male vocals and crunchy guitars and i find the bass to be a bit too slow for hard rock/metal/prog. Everything else sounds so good though and well-mastered soft rock/folk/jazz rock and EDM are something to behold on the x2's. 

The thx00's reportedly have tighter, punchier bass, better lower mids of at the cost of upper mids, and slightly rolled off treble in comparison, with better speed and reduced but not poor soundstage. 

I think with EQ for the upper-mids/treble and the massive mod-ibility with different wood cups or even potentially open back mods for the thx00's, its hard to imagine how i could go wrong with them at this point. My ears will tell though.

I couldn't of said it better myself. 

Perhaps the Meze 99s would be a good alternative to spending 400 bones on the thx00s. Might be out of line by saying that. :) 

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #11,035 of 15,268
The Meze 99 did not wow me personally. I'd be much rather looking at the TH-X00 if choosing between the two :D

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #11,037 of 15,268

I pretty much agree with #HipHopScribe. X00s are not as airy and open sounding as X2s, and this comes with the perception of a smaller soundstage. But they do outperform the X2s in every other aspect. Bass is absolutely phenomenal on them. Deep, tight, punchy, clear. Clarity is a good word to use to describe the whole sound compared to X2s. X00s are more detailed, they have higher resolution. Mids are present enough, not to really complain about anything, unless you are only into vocal centric and acoustic music. Highs are sparkier and stronger than on X2s.

I do like space and soundstage. Loosing these was my biggest worry before buying X00s. I can say, my worries are completely gone. It is not the open space of a good opened back headphone, but there is a large, perceptible space that you see/hear.
 Both the X2s and the X00s are great headphones. But X00s for twice the price do sound superior, without a question.

I have to mention, both headphones benefit a lot from higher-end DAC.

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #11,038 of 15,268
  I couldn't of said it better myself. 

Perhaps the Meze 99s would be a good alternative to spending 400 bones on the thx00s. Might be out of line by saying that. :) 

I've been seriously considering that. I have heard that the soundstage is lacking though in comparison to the thx00's, and the x2's of course. If I could steal the upper mids from the mezes and inject them into the thx00's, and borrowed the soundstage from the x2's, well.... I'd be done with any form of headphone search :)

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #11,039 of 15,268

I pretty much agree with #HipHopScribe. X00s are not as airy and open sounding as X2s, and this comes with the perception of a smaller soundstage. But they do outperform the X2s in every other aspect. Bass is absolutely phenomenal on them. Deep, tight, punchy, clear. Clarity is a good word to use to describe the whole sound compared to X2s. X00s are more detailed, they have higher resolution. Mids are present enough, not to really complain about anything, unless you are only into vocal centric and acoustic music. Highs are sparkier and stronger than on X2s.

I do like space and soundstage. Loosing these was my biggest worry before buying X00s. I can say, my worries are completely gone. It is not the open space of a good opened back headphone, but there is a large, perceptible space that you see/hear.
 Both the X2s and the X00s are great headphones. But X00s for twice the price do sound superior, without a question.

I have to mention, both headphones benefit a lot from higher-end DAC.

Would the jds labs c5d be enough?

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #11,040 of 15,268
Long time reader – first time poster!

I've just purchased a pair of X2's and currently running them off a Xonar STX.

Things don't sound right, and I suspect it's due to the 10 ohm output impedance of the STX. Oddly enough it sounds great when plugged directly into an iMac – more definition in treble, tighter bass?

I'm looking for a suitable DAC/AMP – primarily for gaming and movies (I don't sit at my PC listening to music unless I'm working from home, and it's usually Spotify).

The Sound BlasterX G5 interests me – being 2.2 ohm and PS4 compatible, but I'm also looking at the Fiio E10K (I've heard the soundstage isn't that great). Anything around the $100-300 AUD mark.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back