Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 19, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #10,696 of 15,268

I don't find X2 treble harsh at all and I'm quite sensitive to it. It depends on the individual properties and other parts of the playback chain, I guess.

right on, if i find the treble harsh is it ok if i eq the highs down a bit? i know lot of people say "OMG U ARENT AUDIOPHILE IF U EQ!!!" but with my treble and clamp sensitivity it really limits the cans i can use under 500, so is it ok if i eq it down a bit if its too sharp? 

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #10,697 of 15,268
  right on, if i find the treble harsh is it ok if i eq the highs down a bit? i know lot of people say "OMG U ARENT AUDIOPHILE IF U EQ!!!" but with my treble and clamp sensitivity it really limits the cans i can use under 500, so is it ok if i eq it down a bit if its too sharp? 

Whatever floats your boat, man. I personally never use EQ, but that's just me.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #10,698 of 15,268

You can EQ but ideally you don't want to do that as a lot of mobile sources end up degrading the original source. The X2 is somewhere in the middle brightness wise with Beyers and AT as definitely brighter. The X2 are not that bright imo.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #10,699 of 15,268
What source/amp are you using?

Fwiw I find the X2 to be on a different level than the HD558 in every aspect. On the other hand I never cared much for the DT880 either (they're good, just not for me) and sold them quickly after getting the X2's. As always in this hobby what you like or not like is highly subjective so YMMV :wink_face:

I'm using a xonar Asus stx and using blu-rays and flac files from my music library.

After listening to them more something seems off. It sounds like the left speaker is louder than the right. I remember reading this somewhere a while ago when people were moaning about the quality control, and didnt really believe it and thought by now these issues would have been sorted, but seems to me that they haven't and is also not as far fetched and imaginary as I first thought.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #10,700 of 15,268

If you purely want a better X2 I'd look at the TH-X00, I sold my X2 after I got that.

This is a curious thing. I LOVE the X2s more than any pair of phones I've ever owned. If the TH-X00 (or more intriguing, the Purplehearts) is really a more refined version of the X2 even though it's a closed can, then I could easily see myself wanting a pair. I wonder what the rest of the head-fi community thinks of the TH-X00...

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #10,701 of 15,268
I'm using a xonar Asus stx and using blu-rays and flac files from my music library.

After listening to them more something seems off. It sounds like the left speaker is louder than the right. I remember reading this somewhere a while ago when people were moaning about the quality control, and didnt really believe it and thought by now these issues would have been sorted, but seems to me that they haven't and is also not as far fetched and imaginary as I first thought.

I also came from hd558, and i have to agree that x2 is like the better version of hd558

Well, i need to burn about 20 hours-ish before the sound kinda "break-in", you might consider that.
Also stx has high output impedance, afaik that will affect the bass.

Regarding channel imbalance... Honestly i don't know, it could be the recording itself is not balanced, or maybe the cable, or even your ear. I tried channel sweep before and it is also not that objective. One thing that was suggested to me is to play music in mono (not stereo) to make sure that both channel output the same exact thing.

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #10,702 of 15,268

This is a curious thing. I LOVE the X2s more than any pair of phones I've ever owned. If the TH-X00 (or more intriguing, the Purplehearts) is really a more refined version of the X2 even though it's a closed can, then I could easily see myself wanting a pair. I wonder what the rest of the head-fi community thinks of the TH-X00...

In about 2-3 weeks I can let you know. I also love my X2s more than any pair of phones I've owned, and I went for the X00 (Mahogany) from the second drop as many people suggested X00 as a "next step X2".
+1 for fellow Mojo owner by the way. :wink:

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #10,703 of 15,268
In about 2-3 weeks I can let you know. I also love my X2s more than any pair of phones I've owned, and I went for the X00 (Mahogany) from the second drop as many people suggested X00 as a "next step X2".

I'm still a bit puzzled that a closed can is considered a next step for an open one. Don't get me wrong, I'm really curious about the X00 and I've been so close to joining one of the drops several times but I've always been more interested in open cans and IEM's so I've chickened out every time. I'm not a bass head and really love the huge soundstage in all directions on the X2 so I wouldn't want to trade even a bit of that for more bass.

One thing's for sure though: I'm really looking forward to hear the impressions and comparisons between the two from you guys that also really enjoy the X2's.

Sorry for the rant :wink:

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #10,704 of 15,268
I'm still a bit puzzled that a closed can is considered a next step for an open one. Don't get me wrong, I'm really curious about the X00 and I've been so close to joining one of the drops several times but I've always been more interested in open cans and IEM's so I've chickened out every time. I'm not a bass head and really love the huge soundstage in all directions on the X2 so I wouldn't want to trade even a bit of that for more bass.

One thing's for sure though: I'm really looking forward to hear the impressions and comparisons between the two from you guys that also really enjoy the X2's.

Sorry for the rant
wink.gif

I share your concerns regarding loss of soundstage and space. I am also more into opened back full size cans. Not that much into IEMs though. Bass is obviously important to me if you look at my headphone choices, but I wouldn't say I am a basshead.
 Recently I tried Nighthawks (semi-opened) and had the same concerns of loosing space. I was right, NH does have smaller space and soundstage than X2. But NH is better in other things, like bass. (Cleaner, expands lower, more detailed, more present.) Eventually I found I can enjoy NH and X2 on the same level, just the experience is a bit different.
 I let the NH go, as I couldn't justify its price, and I also didn't like its upper mid-range, lower treble. Not because the space was smaller, but it just sounded too unusual to me. (And already paid for X00s too.) To be fair I have to mention, NH was a more intimate, more engaging listening experience, but X2's spaciousness and airiness on the other hand equally likeable attributes.
Also, even though X00 is officially closed back, owners say it is more like semi-closed/semi-opened. It does leak and doesn't isolate much therefore you also have quite nice space.
 Anyway, I am just telling my NH experience as a proof, that a semi closed (closed) headphone can be as enjoyable as an opened one, just slightly different. (Obviously not a £200 closed can, but rather the £4-600 price range.) NH convinced me of that.

So I am hoping X00 to be a "better NH" for my personal taste and preference.
Whether I will sell my X2 or keep it, that is another question. I have no idea at the moment.

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #10,705 of 15,268
My experience with the audeze lcd 2.2s echo the above.  The headphones were an enjoyable listen, with warm engaging bass and mids, extremely comfortable, but they had such a narrow soundstage I could never really love them.  Swapping my amp and setup opened them up a little, but nowhere near the space that I eventually found in returning to the x2.

I too am eager to hear what you all think of the th-x00s.  I may end up with a set or something similar quite soon, but theres no room in my stable for two bassy headphones which is why Im so reluctant to make the jump

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #10,706 of 15,268

Noice! The Mojo is amazing. If the Mojo wasn't so adept at revealing the X2s weaknesses, I'd stop looking for an upgrade. But ever since getting the Mojo I've been drawn to the idea of getting something more refined, which is why I'd love to hear what fellow X2 owners think of the TH-X00. I've never considered myself a basshead but I'd be lying if I didn't prefer the tuning of the X2 to more neutral or "critical listening" cans. Of course that could just be the treble fatigue talking but it's not.

All that is to say whether or not I bite the bullet on the TH-X00, I can't see getting rid of my X2s. I love that they sound great through the PM-3 iPhone cable. If the TH-X00 is as refined and close to the X2 as "they" say, I could see it easily replacing the HE-400i in my collection.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #10,707 of 15,268
  Noice! The Mojo is amazing. If the Mojo wasn't so adept at revealing the X2s weaknesses, I'd stop looking for an upgrade. But ever since getting the Mojo I've been drawn to the idea of getting something more refined, which is why I'd love to hear what fellow X2 owners think of the TH-X00. I've never considered myself a basshead but I'd be lying if I didn't prefer the tuning of the X2 to more neutral or "critical listening" cans. Of course that could just be the treble fatigue talking but it's not.

All that is to say whether or not I bite the bullet on the TH-X00, I can't see getting rid of my X2s. I love that they sound great through the PM-3 iPhone cable. If the TH-X00 is as refined and close to the X2 as "they" say, I could see it easily replacing the HE-400i in my collection.

I wouldn't say Mojo reveals X2's weaknesses. I never heard X2 to sound as good as it sounds with Mojo. It is true however, that X2 reaches its limits with Mojo, and Mojo's limits are much further away. So sooner or later Mojo will make you buy higher end, more refined headphones. :)

According to the reviews, the owners of X00 and the X00 thread Fostex should sound noticeably better than X2 or even 400i.
That's what I expect. Will see.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #10,708 of 15,268
Aha I went for the massdrop e-Mu teak!  Im returning a set of hd600s due to the clamping so going to use that to part fund it.  For anyone considering the th-x00, its worth having a look at the e-Mu headphone as a viable alternative.  They use b-stock th900 drivers as opposed to the x-00 using b-stock th600 (or so the rumours go).  And with interchangeable tonewood ear cups they have plenty of options to customise looks and sound signature.  I like the look of them, I hope they will be a worthy contender against my x2s

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #10,710 of 15,268
  Just to let you know guys, I noticed that Amazon removed that kind of warning about the Philips Fidelio X2, it doesn't say that some people are having some issues with the headphones anymore. 

Its funny you say that, I'm in the process of returning my hd600 to Amazon.  I couldn't get over the clamping on my big fat head!  They sounded nice with great separation but nothing special compared to my grados.  And the clamping I couldn't forgive, any more than ten minutes was giving me a headache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back