Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 30, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #9,737 of 15,268

With the right equipment these are a marvellous headphone.  Mine are burning in very nicely now.  With all this talk about Woox and Gibson and multiple versions flying back and forward from Amazon warehouses up and down the country - not a lot has been made that, like all headphones, they will sound far far better after a settling in period.

I don't think there is another headphone out there that respond to musical genre as much as these.  I listen to Rock and Classical and the x2s sound like a 'good' headphone.  But every time I put a dance/electronica track on I am blown away by them.  The levels of bass, imaging, presence and soundstage are everything I need.  If this kind of music is not to your tastes I urge you to give it a try now and see what your missing!

As someone who is old enough to have attended Woodstock in 1969, I concur with your findings, chry5alis, regarding what a sonic joy it is to listen to X2s and quality EDM music.  Your two cited examples are excellent. That kind of music never appealed to me at all UNTIL I bought the X2 and started listening to Youtube videos with a strong pumpin' bass backbeat.  These Philips cans begin to really show their metal when the bass begins to crank.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #9,739 of 15,268

I feel like a violated victim now
mad.gif
etysmile.gif

Don't act like you remember it.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #9,740 of 15,268
  i never really got into that stuff, i always ask people whats the difference between EDM, psy-trance and house music, but nobody seems to know...are they technically all the same?

i dont know much about psy-trance, im more into psy-chedlic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deB_u-to-IE

EDM is a broad term for music that has electronic elements.  These genres within EDM can be trance, house, dubstep, jungle, dnb.  Then there's sub-genres in those mentioned such as acid trance, psy trance, dark trance, deep house, electro house, gabber, etc. 

Lately...EDM is crap to me...I guess I'm just getting old.  I used to be into the rave scene back in the 90's-00's when things were underground and not many people knew who Paul Oakenfold or Ferry Corsten was.  Raves also used to be free or $5.  Now a rave or "event" cost over $100 and DJ's are millionaires.   The music ain't that great as back in the day...they're just making remixes or fart noises.  I hate EDM now :frowning2:

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #9,741 of 15,268
  EDM is a broad term for music that has electronic elements.  These genres within EDM can be trance, house, dubstep, jungle, dnb.  Then there's sub-genres in those mentioned such as acid trance, psy trance, dark trance, deep house, electro house, gabber, etc. 

Lately...EDM is crap to me...I guess I'm just getting old.  I used to be into the rave scene back in the 90's-00's when things were underground and not many people knew who Paul Oakenfold or Ferry Corsten was.  Raves also used to be free or $5.  Now a rave or "event" cost over $100 and DJ's are millionaires.   The music ain't that great as back in the day...they're just making remixes or fart noises.  I hate EDM now :frowning2:

I think there is a massive misunderstanding at the moment regarding what EDM is... 

Your first paragraph is correct, EDM orginally stood for the overall category of electronic dance music. Everything from Techno, to gabber and Dubstep. Lately however, the term is being used exclusively for the music made by people like Steve Aoki, Swedish House Mafia, Hardwell, etc... I.e. highly commercialized, cheesy, poppy, dance music for the masses. This music has nothing to do with what happens in the other scenes (house, techno, dubstep, ...). 

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #9,742 of 15,268

I think there is a massive misunderstanding at the moment regarding what EDM is... 

Your first paragraph is correct, EDM orginally stood for the overall category of electronic dance music. Everything from Techno, to gabber and Dubstep. Lately however, the term is being used exclusively for the music made by people like Steve Aoki, Swedish House Mafia, Hardwell, etc... I.e. highly commercialized, cheesy, poppy, dance music for the masses. This music has nothing to do with what happens in the other scenes (house, techno, dubstep, ...). 

Dubstep... ugh.. Brostep is the new now... Really What! I remember when dance music was easy, now with all these sub genres its just to damn hard.

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #9,743 of 15,268
  Dubstep... ugh.. Brostep is the new now... Really What! I remember when dance music was easy, now with all these sub genres its just to damn hard.

Quality progressive trance, techno and drum'n'bass are still out there... That's all Electronic Dance Music I need.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #9,744 of 15,268

Quality progressive trance, techno and drum'n'bass are still out there... That's all Electronic Dance Music I need.

Exactly!

Trance, House, Techno... my main stays for quite along time. I am however a fan of Minimal aswell, but shhhhh dont judge me to harsh hahah.

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #9,745 of 15,268
Not sure if anyone wants some music recommendations for these, but I absolutely love Darius - Hot Hands and Anderson .Paak - Am I Wrong. The first is French house, second is quite a groovy song. 

I listened to my AKG Y50's and realised the X2's are miles and leagues above. Cannot fault them at all.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #9,746 of 15,268
sorry, couldnt find definitive post, how can i find if mine is woox or gibson again, is it just by the bottom it says manufactured by gibson copyright 2014?

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #9,750 of 15,268
  My X2 sounds dramatically better on my desktop than my cellphone and laptop.  I think most of it is due to more volume; DAC shouldn't be better in the motherboard soundcard compared to my phone and laptop, right?  

Now I'm hearing what I expected to hear.  Mids are not slightly recessed any longer.  I'm so much happier now!

Hopefully the FiiO E18 (on the way) will allow me to enjoy listening to them on my cellphone and laptop.

What motherboard are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back