Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #9,226 of 15,268
When I A/B'd the two, I didn't really notice a great deal of difference in soundstage width, and I was impressed with the imaging on both (they being my 1st and 2nd set of open-backs). The thing that struck me the most, however, was the richness of the X2's sound - the 598SEs just sounded thin by comparison. I love the X2's warmth and presence of bass. Overall build quality (glued pads notwithstanding), the 598s feel like a cheap plastic toy when compared in hand with the X2s. Being lighter, though, I found the 598s a little more comfortable.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #9,228 of 15,268

Always enjoy reading your well written posts VP!  You should turn your original review post in the 598 thread into a real review, it was great.

I'll have to disagree with a few things here though, particularly the bass observations.  The X2 simply reproduce frequencies that our beloved 598 do not.  I don't think the X2 is "bass boosted", rather the 598 was designed in such a way to accentuate the soundstage and openness of the headphone and therefore is lacking in the bass department.  You hear clearly defined bass with the X2, and are left wondering where it's at with the 598.

I can certainly see why someone would prefer the Senns over these, but bass reproduction would probably be my last guess.

Thanks for the compliment! I might take your word and publish my comment as a proper review (though I don't know how to, do I simply create a new thread and name it "XXXX review"? I'm still somewhat new to the forums) as you suggest :p

I see your point and I believe you. Probably my ears are more sensitive to low frequencies, maybe? Or my set are just "defective" to the 598's true sound signature and came with a rare case of "bassitis" (in the SE thread I remember reading a couple of comments that reported more bass on the SE than the regular version too). I don't know. But I swear that I can hear bass very tightly and defined with my 598. You just made me curious as to how would I perceive bass on the X2 should I do the upgrade.

Fortunately, they're still on my Amazon wishlist, never removed them actually. So eventually I'll know the answer to that question (there's a reason why I'm still following this thread despite never taking part in it), just not in the near future, as now my priority has shifted from getting a good open can to getting a good DAC/Amp set (which hopefully will be the Modi2-Magni2 combo).

Probably when I get the X2 I'll like them better than my beloved 598, who knows? I'm not against that possibility. And if that's the case, well my girlfriend loved my HD 598 too so I can gave them to her.

Anyways, back to the topic and original question, to @Vizuka: you should really try the HD 598. They're way cheaper than the Fidelios. Best case scenario: you love them, then keep them and you saved yourself some money (as they're way cheaper than the X2). Worst case scenario: don't like them? Fine, just return them and keep on looking for your perfect headphone. You have nothing to lose, but plenty to win. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #9,229 of 15,268

Thanks for the compliment! I might take your word and publish my comment as a proper review (though I don't know how to, do I simply create a new thread and name it "XXXX review"? I'm still somewhat new to the forums) as you suggest :p

I see your point and I believe you. Probably my ears are more sensitive to low frequencies, maybe? Or my set are just "defective" to the 598's true sound signature and came with a rare case of "bassitis" (in the SE thread I remember reading a couple of comments that reported more bass on the SE than the regular version too). I don't know. But I swear that I can hear bass very tightly and defined with my 598. You just made me curious as to how would I perceive bass on the X2 should I do the upgrade.

Fortunately, they're still on my Amazon wishlist, never removed them actually. So eventually I'll know the answer to that question (there's a reason why I'm still following this thread despite never taking part in it), just not in the near future, as now my priority has shifted from getting a good open can to getting a good DAC/Amp set (which hopefully will be the Modi2-Magni2 combo).

Probably when I get the X2 I'll like them better than my beloved 598, who knows? I'm not against that possibility. And if that's the case, well my girlfriend loved my HD 598 too so I can gave them to her.

Anyways, back to the topic and original question, to @Vizuka: you should really try the HD 598. They're way cheaper than the Fidelios. Best case scenario: you love them, then keep them and you saved yourself some money (as they're way cheaper than the X2). Worst case scenario: don't like them? Fine, just return them and keep on looking for your perfect headphone. You have nothing to lose, but plenty to win. 

I've never made a review before, but I think you would just go here and click 'Write a Review'.  One of our fine members here will correct me if I'm wrong
tongue.gif

There are definitely a lot of owners who think the same as you regarding the 598 and bass reproduction, so no need to over-analyze it.  It'd be really interesting to read your opinions on the X2 if you some day get to hear it.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #9,230 of 15,268
I've never made a review before, but I think you would just go here and click 'Write a Review'.  One of our fine members here will correct me if I'm wrong :p .

There are definitely a lot of owners who think the same as you regarding the 598 and bass reproduction, so no need to over-analyze it.  It'd be really interesting to read your opinions on the X2 if you some day get to hear it.

Trust me, if I ever get to hear it, the first thing I'll do will be to ppst my impressions here, and you'll be the first I'll let you know!

Aaaand. Now let's finetune that comment to turn it into a nice review...

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #9,231 of 15,268
Before the Woox vs. Gibson debacle, the Fidelio X2 was my Holy Grail headphone. However, much like the real life grail, I never got to it, no matter how hard I desired it (or, in this case, how long it was in my Amazon wishlist waiting for the day I saved up the dough).

The whole gluegate and sound imbalances scandals, plus the Black Friday sale of the HD598 SE made me pull the trigger for the Senns instead. No regrets. While I can't say they're better than the Fidelios (since, well, I never got to listen them), I can say that the 598's don't dissapoint. On the contrary, I really fell in love with them.

The HD598 have a very large soundstage. For some it might be artificial, but for me, it provides a perfect instrument separation that brings the perfect balance between fun and critical listening, so you have the beat of the two worlds in one set.

Also, I don't see why people say they lack bass. They don't. They providejust the right amount. Fun listeners are acustomed to boosted bass, and I can see why for them, aflat bass respone would seem lacking. And coming from the bass boosted Fidelios, indeed, you will find the 598 very bass shy. But they aren't. They just are balanced. If the track is bass heavy, the 598's will sound bassy; if the song is bass-shy, then that's what you'll hear.

If you jump from the X2 to the 598s you might feel them thin on a first impression, but once you're ears and brain burn in and get used to theor sifnature, you'll find them just as musical.

Going from the descriptions, I don't see anymore why people prefer the X2 over the 598. Apart from the bass extension, the HD 598 seem to perform better than the Fidelios in every other aspect - bigger soundstage, more focused mids, and splashier highs, without the X2's reported graininess and with a more balanced sound signature.

My personal suggestion for you would be to buy the HD598 and give them a chance. If you don't like them, just return them. But trust me, you won't.

I can't speak to the HD598, but the X2 beat the HD650 except for a tiny bit of sibilance and graininess in the treble.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #9,233 of 15,268
I bought the 598SE on Amazon's Black Friday week and enjoyed it. Then the X2 went on sale the following week, and I picked that up to compare. The next day, I returned the 598s.

I went through similar back when the HD598 SE came out, then at $200. Concluding they were light on bass, but not really sure, I thought I would try the X2s, then at $300. As soon as I received the X2s, I immediately knew that the X2s had the extra emphasis. I thought the Soundstage were fine on both but not a differentiator. Same with mids and highs. I'd certainly concede that the HD598s are more accurate, but, for me, the difference is q just weight in the bass and the slightly emphasized highs. By the way if you check the Golden Ears and the Inner Fidelity Web sites, they recommend slight to increasing bass emphasis for headphones (as opposed to speakers which should have a flat response).

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #9,234 of 15,268
I bought a pair just before christmas. It is a woox pair. I had small issues with the aluminium rings on it so i got a replacement. 

The replacement is a gibson pair. Cosmetically it is almost flawless. There are very small areas where the rings are coming off and small bumps on the leather band, but this doesn't bother me.

Both sound identical. Both have glued pads. The gibson pads were a couple of millimetres shallower, but this difference is so small. Small enough that i have to place the pads on my desk and look at them from the side, in order to tell.  The only way i could tell them apart, apart from that and some minor aluminium ring issues, is the names on the bottom of the box.

Maybe i got lucky? or maybe the quality of the headphones is not tied to the company that makes them. But rather some other reason such as the date they were made?

In terms of sound, i find the bass takes priority and the mids are recessed but still clear. Since this is my first pair of proper headphones i kind of expected to be more "wowed" by them. Not sure how much i like it, but i am going to keep the gibson pair in the meantime.

Also thinking about trying some hm5 pads. Which is better, pleather or velour?

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #9,236 of 15,268
  In terms of sound, i find the bass takes priority and the mids are recessed but still clear. Since this is my first pair of proper headphones i kind of expected to be more "wowed" by them. Not sure how much i like it, but i am going to keep the gibson pair in the meantime.

Take your time. I find this headphones are a bit of acquired taste. First I found them OK compared to my LCD-2. Couple days later Audeze went for sale.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #9,238 of 15,268

Take your time. I find this headphones are a bit of acquired taste. First I found them OK compared to my LCD-2. Couple days later Audeze went for sale.

I can believe it. They best my HD650 and except for detail, they are better for some songs than my HE-500. I just got my girlfriend to accept the idea of me using them in my chain when she's not around.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #9,239 of 15,268
X2 is not necessarily a better phone compared with some of other phones, but it is certainly very enjoyable and I can listen to it without even thinking about my other phones on the shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back