Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #9,091 of 15,268
  Also, to everyone owning a X2, please go and listen to the album 'Nothing Is Real' by The Flashbulb. Just an absolutely amazing experience. Fantastic introspective/emotional ambient/chill-down electronic album with great use of instruments and space. Very creative stuff.

How have I not heard this before?!?! This is amazing!

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #9,093 of 15,268
Actually I may have bashed the MSR7 too much in my comparison.

The MSR7 are truly amazing headphones. For closed headphones their soundstage is amazingly good. Still beaten by a good margin by X2 though. The MSR7's bass response is also pretty amazing, even though it should be 3db higher. In some songs I might actually think the X2 sound just a tad boomy. But only in some songs. Imagine some electronic producers out there, using a HD800 as their mixing headphones and no speaker system at all. They will add the bass they think are perfect for HD800 to their song. However, on X2 that will sometimes be a tad too much.

Overall I enjoy the X2's sound more than the MSR7 mainly for 2 reasons: more neutral/warm tonal balance (MSR7 just a tad too bright) & bigger soundstage. 

The bass is a tie, sometimes I enjoy the MSR7's stellar bass response and think it's just the right amount. On other songs the punchy, not as delicate, bass of the X2 is more enjoyable.
Also the detail resolution is a tie, might even slightly go to the MSR7 actually, because the bass in _some_ songs can make it harder to hear details on X2. Both are however, incredibly transparant compared to M50x for example, which sound muffled in comparison.

On Mt. Wolf - Life Size Ghosts (Catching Flies Remix) is a song where I enjoy the bass of the MSR7 more. Find it ever so slightly boomy on the X2. Amazing song btw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD8zGTpyM9w

Feed Me & Crystal Fighters - Love Is All I Got is a song where I enjoy the X2's bass a lot more :D Same goes for Ghost'N'Stuff by deadmau5 and many more.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #9,094 of 15,268

Kind of amazing that someone would keep a brand new pair of headphones with such an obvious defect.  Although, why on earth did you start scratching it in the first place?  I just gave my glued WOOX pair a little rub, nothing happening.

Philips must be starting to get nervous that we discovered their cost-cutting methods..

EDIT: Pic is satirical
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #9,095 of 15,268
Kind of amazing that someone would keep a brand new pair of headphones with such an obvious defect.  Although, why on earth did you start scratching it in the first place?  I just gave my glued WOOX pair a little rub, nothing happening.

Philips must be starting to get nervous that we discovered their cost-cutting methods..

EDIT: Pic is satirical :wink:

The thing is that ive used them över 2 months and they started looking scratched.. There not really a new pair, but idont really care that muh tbh.. I will tho contact philips

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #9,097 of 15,268
The thing is that ive used them över 2 months and they started looking scratched.. There not really a new pair, but idont really care that muh tbh.. I will tho contact philips

If you bought them from Webhallen, I believe they'll warranty them for a 1-year period.  If you're even interested in replacing them, that'd probably be your best course of action.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #9,099 of 15,268

Just replace them. I got exactly the same issue (WOOX pair) and will RMA my pair maybe at the end of the month with the hope that Philips will restock those babies from a brand new batch.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #9,100 of 15,268
you know dem cans are awesome when dem trolls & haters come a knockin'

Quote:
  You guys must be deaf
wink.gif

HD650 is better, I own HD600, HD650, X2 and HE-6. 
X2 is too annoying in the treble. Even worse then HE-6 thats not proporly amped

Why don't you go to HD650 thread then? I don't understand all the people who come here to open our eyes on how bad X2 really is.

I've also owned HD600 and HD650 and LCD-2 for many years. Y'all like your HD650 better - fine, we get it. But this is an X2 thread.

Having said that, valid criticism is welcome, and I've had my own share of issues with it... never with sound quality, though.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #9,102 of 15,268

I don't see the comparison at all. Engagement-wise, it's no contest; the X2 are so much more 'involving' headphones. The treble can be grainy sometimes, but at least it's there. Caveat, my HD650s were purchased used in 2010, so I don't know what the new ones sound like.

The HD650 pour music into your ears like a liquid. They never offend except for the veil. The X2s provide so much more of a soundstage that I'm shocked they're so inexpensive. They also engage you in a way that neither my HD650 nor my HE-500 do. That said, I still prefer my HE-500s, which is reasonable considering that they're not competing in the same consumer space at all and I love the little details. If I could have that planar sound with a better sound stage, I'd be very happy.

When my girlfriend and I were exploring music with her new X2s and my HD650s and HE-500, she was almost always more impressed with the sound stage and bass of the X2s than the liquidy sound of the HD650 or the precision and mouth-watering mids of the HE-500. Her only letdown was that they sound sorta crap from her iMac headphone port and transform dramatically with amping. In fact, I've never heard (in my limited experience) headphones scale that well with simple, inexpensive amping. I've heard that the HD650 scales well with amping, but I'm not willing to invest in an amp just for that headphone. Heck, I don't even want to play with the settings on my Polaris long enough to properly hear the HD650 from it!

I got her the X2 because I heard that it's a headphone that can compete with the HD650 and it was at a price I could afford for Christmas (on sale). That has been pleasantly confirmed. Now all we need is a DAC and to hook my previous amp (original Schiit Magni) to her chain.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #9,105 of 15,268

Users who are viewing this thread

Back