Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 4, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #8,926 of 15,268
HD6xx are pretty consistent. They've been honing the production for decades now...

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #8,928 of 15,268
  I have the Tyll Edition Fidelios.  Mine sound awesome with all styles of music I've thrown at them :)

Lucky you, mine sound super dark (far darker than HD600), muddy, super closed soundstage, etc.  Honestly, my laptop speakers sound better :O.

For the last 10 hours, I've been swapping between my X2, K553, HD600, and SHP9500.  Same set of songs and same DAC/amp.

Even the SHP9500 sound better to me... From my recollection, my K701 were far more clear, with wider soundstage.  

Only thing that is noticeable is that the bass is far more present than my other headphones. The HD600 ergonomics felt way more comfortable as well, like putting on a glove.   

Sad to say, but this, on top of the QC issues, I'm leaning towards returning these. A big shame since Tyll was so fond of his, and we got these for a great price.   

Given that I came into some money recently, I may just keep these for the bass. Decisions decisions.  

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #8,929 of 15,268

Lucky you, mine sound super dark (far darker than HD600), muddy, super closed soundstage, etc.  Honestly, my laptop speakers sound better :O.

For the last 10 hours, I've been swapping between my X2, K553, HD600, and SHP9500.  Same set of songs and same DAC/amp.

Even the SHP9500 sound better to me... From my recollection, my K701 were far more clear, with wider soundstage.  

Only thing that is noticeable is that the bass is far more present than my other headphones. The HD600 ergonomics felt way more comfortable as well, like putting on a glove.   

Sad to say, but this, on top of the QC issues, I'm leaning towards returning these. A big shame since Tyll was so fond of his, and we got these for a great price.   

Given that I came into some money recently, I may just keep these for the bass. Decisions decisions.  

The dark thing, my first pair actually had that issue along with really sloppy bass.  As if the driver was hitting something during really low notes.  My current pair has no such issue.  The bass (along with everything else) sound really good.  I didn't pay attention to the box on the first pair I received, but my current one is Woox with no Gibson anywhere on the box.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #8,930 of 15,268
  The dark thing, my first pair actually had that issue along with really sloppy bass.  As if the driver was hitting something during really low notes.  My current pair has no such issue.  The bass (along with everything else) sound really good.  I didn't pay attention to the box on the first pair I received, but my current one is Woox with no Gibson anywhere on the box.

Yeah, mine is a Gibson, and from reading here, it seems that the Woox and the Gibsons are different sounding. Would be interesting for Tyll to listen to some Gibson X2's.  

I take it you returned your pair and got a replacement one that was Woox? 

Just crazy to think about how that could be the case.  

Now, I believe Philips suggests 200 hours of burn in for these. I have not listened to them for that long. Perhaps for the next week, I'll run these all day burning in and see if that changes anything.  

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #8,931 of 15,268
Can't any experienced listener compare WOOX and Gibson editions to verify these different theories about sound difference and put end to this once for all?

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #8,932 of 15,268
  I have the Tyll Edition Fidelios.  Mine sound awesome with all styles of music I've thrown at them :)

Tyll's version is Woox?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #8,934 of 15,268

Mine is Woox. Technically, it's better than 9500, but I like 9500's sound signature much more than X2. X2's sound's just unnatural to me. Yes, I also hope 600 has X2's ear cushion!

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #8,936 of 15,268
  so what other option do i have besides the x2? i got a HD650 coming in the mail tomorrow but im planning on returning it because i hear u need at least  a thousand+ dollar dac to get the most out of it...

LOL, what? No, it will expand to better gear, but it sounds pretty darn good on a Magni original. I haven't listened to it with the new Garage 1217 Project Polaris I got today. As for DACs, I've only had two. The MusicStreamer ii+ is a step up from the E7/E10 combo that I had, but I don't know much more than that. It sounds better with amps geared to higher resistance cans. So, saying that it scales well with gear is not the same as saying that it's awful with budget gear, just that it's a very flexible headphone.

To be fair, the X2s sounded somewhat muddy and narrow driven directly out of my girlfriend's iMac headphone port, but they also scaled well with my MSii+ and Magni. I still have to listen with the Polaris.

The X2 competes with the HD650, but I wouldn't say that it eclipses it. It definitely engages you with the music a little bit more than the HD650, but then hey, so do my Grado SR80. The HD650 gives you the most fatigue-free listening that I've heard yet (I admit that my experience is limited).

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #8,938 of 15,268
After about 120 hours, mine sound much better. Bass is less wholly and one note. Higher frequencies sounded a bit flat and now have more air.

Thanks for the input.  I just started breaking my pair in.  I agree the bass is a little too much for me right now since I listen to mostly EDM.

I using an ipod classic to CLAS Solo to ALO Audio RX Mk2.  If the bass evens out more, it will be another keeper.  I like the fuller sound I get from these compared to the AKG K553 plugged into this same setup.

This reminds of the music impact I get from my HE-400/HE-500/HE-6 line.  Right now though, the bass is a bit fatiguing on some tracks.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #8,939 of 15,268

Thanks for the input.  I just started breaking my pair in.  I agree the bass is a little too much for me right now since I listen to mostly EDM.

I using an ipod classic to CLAS Solo to ALO Audio RX Mk2.  If the bass evens out more, it will be another keeper.  I like the fuller sound I get from these compared to the AKG K553 plugged into this same setup.

This reminds of the music impact I get from my HE-400/HE-500/HE-6 line.  Right now though, the bass is a bit fatiguing on some tracks.

That's interesting. To me, they sound very different from the HE-500. The X2 has a wider soundstage and the bass is definitely 'flabbier' and a lot more pronounced than the HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back