Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 16, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #7,606 of 15,268
With iFi Nano it pairs very well. The Nano's 3D sound enhances the feel of space in a quality way. Also with some bassy music the optional extra bass adds even more fun to the music, without bleeding to the mids. Bass extends lower, and both quantity (optional) and quality improves. The impression is, the overall sound experience has improved with this amp. Better space, better imaging, better dynamics and separation.I imagine, it is similar with the Micro, maybe slightly even better. It is surprising, how well X2 scales, despite of being low impedance headphones.

Yeah that's pretty spot on, i got the chance to audition x2 with ifi nano, i have to say i am pretty impressed and thus wondering what the micro sounds like.

I have fiio e10k and compared to nano it's night and day lol, it's much much better on the nano, i guess my assumption that a neutral dac is going to pair well with x2 is right

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #7,607 of 15,268
Now I need to find a good Amp/DAC stack for myself....  

I think the Aune is not goign to work out, but I'm till interested in a tube...  It seems Tubes create higher impedance, so they wouldn't be good for the X2 (Tube Amps at least).

This is why I thought a Tube "DAC" would work nicely, but maybe not...?

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #7,609 of 15,268
  Now I need to find a good Amp/DAC stack for myself....  

I think the Aune is not goign to work out, but I'm till interested in a tube...  It seems Tubes create higher impedance, so they wouldn't be good for the X2 (Tube Amps at least).

This is why I thought a Tube "DAC" would work nicely, but maybe not...?

You might wanna check out the new Vali 2

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #7,610 of 15,268
I normally don't believe much in burn in over an hour, but God o mighty strikes me wrong. This hp sound very different after 15 hrs from when I first heard it. I'm no longer looking for that "missing something". It's perfect. I can't believe I'm saying this.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #7,611 of 15,268

You might wanna check out the new Vali 2

Were you the user with the Vali 2 and Asgard 2 who said they loved the Vali a lot?

Isn't there an issue with High Impedance, or is it that it depends on the situation?

Do you have one? :)

What abotu a DAC?

Thanks!
I normally don't believe much in burn in over an hour, but God o mighty strikes me wrong. This hp sound very different after 15 hrs from when I first heard it. I'm no longer looking for that "missing something". It's perfect. I can't believe I'm saying this.

I'm curious how we should "burn in."  Some people say play at a loud volume for a long time.  I heard comments on this thread awhile back saying that they were listening to the headphones on and off to allow things to "set properly" or some crap...

We should just be able to plug and plug right?  I mean just listening to the HPs for w/e amount of time doesn't really matter?  We could listen to it for 5 mins, or 50 hours in a row, it shouldn't matter the intervals, right?

Thanks

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #7,612 of 15,268
Vali 2 has decent output impedance, especially on low gain, so might be a good match for X2, if you're really into the tubes.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #7,613 of 15,268

Were you the user with the Vali 2 and Asgard 2 who said they loved the Vali a lot?

Isn't there an issue with High Impedance, or is it that it depends on the situation?

What abotu a DAC?

Thanks!

I'm curious how we should "burn in."  Some people say play at a loud volume for a long time.  I heard comments on this thread awhile back saying that they were listening to the headphones on and off to allow things to "set properly" or some crap...

We should just be able to plug and plug right?  I mean just listening to the HPs for w/e amount of time doesn't really matter?  We could listen to it for 5 mins, or 50 hours in a row, it shouldn't matter the intervals, right?

Thanks

No I'm out that person. You might want to read up on the Vali 2, which is quite different than the Vali. About the impedance, the Vali 2 has a significantly lower output impedance with low gain mode (1.2 ohms). Plently low for IEMs and low impedance cans.

EDIT: I'm not* that person

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #7,614 of 15,268

What abotu a DAC?

Thanks!

Thanks

Vali 2 is better than Asgard 2? For X2? 
Since X2 is warm. It seems SS is better than tubes. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #7,615 of 15,268
  Vali 2 is better than Asgard 2? For X2? 
Since X2 is warm. It seems SS is better than tubes. 

It depends on your preferences. If you like an even warmer, tube-like sound with the X2, go for tube amps Vali 2. If you like a tighter, more detailed sound and feel that the X2 is warm enough, go for SS amps like the Asgard 2. It's not a matter of whether it's better or not, it's just which one suits your sonic preferences more.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #7,616 of 15,268

It depends on your preferences. If you like an even warmer, tube-like sound with the X2, go for tube amps Vali 2. If you like a tighter, more detailed sound and feel that the X2 is warm enough, go for SS amps like the Asgard 2. It's not a matter of whether it's better or not, it's just which one suits your sonic preferences more.

Great. Thanks.For Shp9500, I think it has more demand on source than on amplifier. Will see X2.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #7,617 of 15,268
I need to do some specific A/B testing, as well as some more general "play these for a while and see how I feel", but at the moment I'm leaning towards the 400S as my preferred cans. While the bass in the X2 is impressive, it's not nearly as tight or controlled as the 400S. X2 has more boom, 400S has more bite, if that makes sense.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #7,618 of 15,268
  Great. Thanks.For Shp9500, I think it has more demand on source than on amplifier. Will see X2.

My suggestion is to listen tot he X2 with your onboard audio, or your current setup. Once you get a feel for the X2, you can better decide what you would prefer more. No rush to get a dac/amp to complement it, it sounds fine without a dac/amp since it's easy to drive at 30-ish ohms and sounds perfectly fine through a decent laptop/phone. However, I must say that it will definitely sound better with a good dac/amp.

Listen to the headphones so you know what you would prefer more.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #7,619 of 15,268

No I'm out that person. You might want to read up on the Vali 2, which is quite different than the Vali. About the impedance, the Vali 2 has a significantly lower output impedance with low gain mode (1.2 ohms). Plently low for IEMs and low impedance cans.

EDIT: I'm not* that person

I'll check up on it

Interesting about the impedance, sounds cool :).

Well, I like "brighter" music... I think.

I like fun, engaging, exciting music.

Idk what to do >(.  The Asgard comment didn't sound all that good, but it could be personal preference.

My suggestion is to listen tot he X2 with your onboard audio, or your current setup. Once you get a feel for the X2, you can better decide what you would prefer more. No rush to get a dac/amp to complement it, it sounds fine without a dac/amp since it's easy to drive at 30-ish ohms and sounds perfectly fine through a decent laptop/phone. However, I must say that it will definitely sound better with a good dac/amp.

Listen to the headphones so you know what you would prefer more.

Good advice, I think I'll just play with it and go from there.  Maybe now I will understand more about sounds and such.  I learned a bit with the hrm-7's too :)

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #7,620 of 15,268
Glad I found this post, I just bought X2 from Amazon 2 days ago and I'm currently with a replacement that I'm still not happy with. The first pair has loose rings and white glue, and the metal at the bottom intersection is a little bent, I'd love to take some pictures but this is my first post so I can't attach images. As for my replacement, there's suspicious and unnecessary glue under the right ear cup, and it also has loose rings.
Annnd, the agent says I can't get a replacement because Amazon is not selling it at the moment and the only option is a refund. Waaaat? I don't want a refund, and I'm certainly not gonna pay $100 more for a new one from another seller. I think I'll just wait till Amazon is selling it again so hopefully I can get a second replacement. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back