Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 9, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #5,836 of 15,268
Here's where I'm at now with trying to find a dac/amp solution for my X2s, to be used with a desktop PC and sometimes carried upstairs and plugged into PS4 via optical:

-Schiit Magni 2+Modi 2 Uber ($250)
-Creative Sound Blaster E5/G5 ($200)
-Creative Sound Blaster X7 ($400)
-Aune X1S ($250)
-Leckerton UHA-6S Mk II ($290)

(JDS Labs O2+ODAC does not have optical in)

Anyone using any of these products and want to chime in?  All advice is appreciated!  

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #5,837 of 15,268
  Here's where I'm at now with trying to find a dac/amp solution for my X2s, to be used with a desktop PC and sometimes carried upstairs and plugged into PS4 via optical:

-Schiit Magni 2+Modi 2 Uber ($250)
-Creative Sound Blaster E5/G5 ($200)
-Creative Sound Blaster X7 ($400)
-Aune X1S ($250)
-Leckerton UHA-6S Mk II ($290)

(JDS Labs O2+ODAC does not have optical in)

Anyone using any of these products and want to chime in?  All advice is appreciated!  

Add iFi iDSD Micro to the list...

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #5,838 of 15,268
I had to return mine as the imbalance bothered me. I finally got one that was perfect and sold it on to a chap on here. I'd return it personally if it bothers you.

Do you think imbalanced is a valid reason i mean i will choose the "damaged" so the amazon they will refund all my expenses especially the shipping because i paid 50$ for one day shipping...

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #5,839 of 15,268
Do you think imbalanced is a valid reason i mean i will choose the "damaged" so the amazon they will refund all my expenses especially the shipping because i paid 50$ for one day shipping...

Test it first with the imbalance tester on the website I linked you first.  I'm not even sure if your X2 has imbalance.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #5,841 of 15,268
  You can also just do a sine sweep: http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
Do the driver matching test.
At which frequencies do you hear an imbalance and how severe is it?

i tried the driver matching at first yah its centered(i think low sounds) then at high sounds(or high pitched) its more favor on the right actually before the sounds fade its more on the right

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #5,843 of 15,268
So here's where I'm at right now - the Schiit stack is looking like my best bet and there are a ton of positive impressions out there about pairing it with the X2. HOWEVER, I am torn between the Vali and the Magni 2. Headphone Guru has some extremely positive Vali+X2 impressions, but then if you go to a site like Audiobot9000 and pair the two together, it shows a damping factor of 4.6 and warns, "headphones with higher impedances may be a better fit for this amp." I'm also hesitant about the microphonic "ting" noise that occurs when you first plug in the headphones or tap the box. And some users have commented that X2's bass on the Vali sounds "uncontrolled" compared to the Magni 2.

But then you read the Headphone Guru review and they mention the X2's bass sounding "more emphasized, but more rounded and fleshed out. It extends a hint deeper with more body," and the treble "a more fluid, and organic tone to it’s sound, extending to it’s treble presentation. The treble is still quite lively on the X2, but there is an extra hint of smoothness, and less aggressiveness when paired with the Vali," --which is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!

What do you guys think about using the Vali with X2?

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #5,846 of 15,268
  What do you mean by dry?  Are you saying the X2 is dry too?

He was reffering to the schiit amp. X2 is smooth by itself, but gets better with a transparent amp. They dont scale much, but anywhere when its about giving advices people talk X2 doesnt need an amp. Thats not true that much, its still better having an amp...

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #5,848 of 15,268
  What do you mean by dry?  Are you saying the X2 is dry too?

Dry sound is rough, not smooth or liquid. The X2 is dry but it isn't dry like the K701 or other headphones like that. With the Vali the dryness seems to get a bit better. I would say the dryness just comes across as a little bit of an artificial etch up top. The rest of the X2 is golden and this doesn't excactly make them bad, just stops them sounding as refined as other hifi headphones. With the Vali I really enjoyed the X2 as it has a natural sound but I wouldn't pair it with amps like the 02 and Magni as they are on the leaner and dryer side. I would describe the X2 as slightly lean in the mids and sharp up top but still in the realm of being one of the natural sounding phones in it's price point with the right amp.

The Cayin C5 might add some nice warmth to the X2 as it's quite a low end focused amp. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #5,849 of 15,268
  Dry sound is rough, not smooth or liquid. The X2 is dry but it isn't dry like the K701 or other headphones like that. With the Vali the dryness seems to get a bit better. I would say the dryness just comes across as a little bit of an artificial etch up top. The rest of the X2 is golden and this doesn't excactly make them bad, just stops them sounding as refined as other hifi headphones. With the Vali I really enjoyed the X2 as it has a natural sound but I wouldn't pair it with amps like the 02 and Magni as they are on the leaner and dryer side. I would describe the X2 as slightly lean in the mids and sharp up top but still in the realm of being one of the natural sounding phones in it's price point with the right amp.

The Cayin C5 might add some nice warmth to the X2 as it's quite a low end focused amp. 

I know the X2 is often described as not needing an amp, but would you say Vali has plenty of headroom when driving the X2? I'm thinking of picking one up as a cheap way to test out a tube amp being my only amp experience is with my SS Magni 2 Uber.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #5,850 of 15,268
I have an old iBasso D7 DAC+Amp which i use with the X2. It's a beautiful sounding combo with great mids, deep and tight bass, and smooth treble. It also sounds airy and spacious. Their new Ibasso D14 Bushmaster DAC+Amp combo is supposed to be much better sounding than the D7. The iBasso D14 is something you should seriously consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back