Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 29, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #5,716 of 15,268
Weird. I've been using the HD700 more lately and went back to the X2's today. Other than the dipped midrange of the HD700, I find they sound cleaner overall compared to the X2. The X2's are definitely heavier too and now my neck feels it. Clamp a tad tighter. Still waiting for the grey pads Philips. Sigh.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #5,717 of 15,268
  Weird. I've been using the HD700 more lately and went back to the X2's today. Other than the dipped midrange of the HD700, I find they sound cleaner overall compared to the X2. The X2's are definitely heavier too and now my neck feels it. Clamp a tad tighter. Still waiting for the grey pads Philips. Sigh.

Cleaner or brigher? 

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #5,718 of 15,268

The clamp bothered me for a week or two, but now I find them super comfortable, weight doesn't bother me at all.

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5,719 of 15,268

Honestly, I wouldn't wait for replacement pads if you need them. I don't think Philips has the intention of making purchasable replacement pads available. Their only goal was to make the X2 earpads removable.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #5,720 of 15,268

Honestly, I wouldn't wait for replacement pads if you need them. I don't think Philips has the intention of making purchasable replacement pads available. Their only goal was to make the X2 earpads removable.

What is the point in having removable pads if we cannot replace them? I guess we can wash them but it is not the same thing.

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #5,721 of 15,268
  What is the point in having removable pads if we cannot replace them? I guess we can wash them but it is not the same thing.

When they made the pads removable I think the intention was to let other companys make replacement pads,  Philips aint gonna bother with that,  is this news to people?  On all the headphones I'v had i'd almost always had to buy aftermarket pads..  Aftermarket pads that are made for the Philips X2 is available,  I got acouple myself.

There are links to X2's aftermarket pads in the thread,  further back.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #5,722 of 15,268

When they made the pads removable I think the intention was to let other companys make replacement pads,  Philips aint gonna bother with that,  is this news to people?  On all the headphones I'v had i'd almost always had to buy aftermarket pads..  Aftermarket pads that are made for the Philips X2 is available,  I got acouple myself.

There are links to X2's aftermarket pads in the thread,  further back.

Are you talking about those "bass heavy" pads?

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #5,724 of 15,268
On my X2's which I got just a day ago when I replaced my other pair (problem with paint coming off) the earpads are now GLUED to the four pins holding the earpad in place. I mean... Why glue them to place so that it takes a TON of force to get them off if they are supposed to be replaceable? I find this weird.  Also, the box is now updated with a black/yellow marking in the top right corner on the front of the box saying "High-res Audio" which was not there on my previous X2 box. There are also some other minor differences in the build, but nothing major. The leather over the top band also feels "cheaper" for some reason. Anyone else noticing these differences?

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #5,725 of 15,268
  On my X2's which I got just a day ago when I replaced my other pair (problem with paint coming off) the earpads are now GLUED to the four pins holding the earpad in place. I mean... Why glue them to place so that it takes a TON of force to get them off if they are supposed to be replaceable? I find this weird.  Also, the box is now updated with a black/yellow marking in the top right corner on the front of the box saying "High-res Audio" which was not there on my previous X2 box. There are also some other minor differences in the build, but nothing major. The leather over the top band also feels "cheaper" for some reason. Anyone else noticing these differences?

I would call or send some images to Philips just to make sure they are not fake,  I find it hard to believe they would glue the earpad in place.  On my earpads the rubber grommets are holding the earpads to the pins very well so I see no reason why they would glue them unless its a poorly designed counterfeit.
Or upload some pictures here for people to compare to theirs.

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #5,726 of 15,268
So following my post about the earpads being glued to the headphone, here we go. I got them from a serious retailer here in Sweden, and everything was placed the same way in the box and the sound signature is the same, so I doubt they are fake. I'll show some pics here though since I took off one of the earpads so you can see what it looks like (I just had to apply a bit more force to get the glue to release, and it snapped on just fine again), because I'm thinking that if they are supposed to be replaceable they SHOULD come off, and that's not my problem. Other than this and a slight difference at the top leather headband (feeling different) they are pretty much identical to my eyes. I am also including a pic of the box, so check these out and tell me what you think. Since I got them replaced A DAY ago I am not too keen on getting these replaced too, but at least there's nothing wrong with the drivers. I don't have permission to post pictures yet for some reason (probably because of my brand new account?) so I'm just gonna create links for them:

Headphone with earpad taken off (the adhesive stuff is on top of the pins, does not look very pretty): https://gyazo.com/9fcd260efe757056019817688ad4a181

The front of the box (if you want more angles let me know): https://gyazo.com/6b235a2dab6b7a39e76e8e836fc0e946

If you for some reason can't use these links, let me know! Maybe I'll find some other way.

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #5,727 of 15,268

I would call or send some images to Philips just to make sure they are not fake,  I find it hard to believe they would glue the earpad in place.  On my earpads the rubber grommets are holding the earpads to the pins very well so I see no reason why they would glue them unless its a poorly designed counterfeit.
Or upload some pictures here for people to compare to theirs.

I just made a post with pictures, waiting for it to get approved since I am not allowed to include/link to pictures, since it's pictures of a headphone I doubt they won't approve it.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #5,728 of 15,268
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and new to headphones in general. I just got a pair of X2s recently for gaming and listening to EDM and hip hop. They sound great while connected directly to my iPhone 6 and Sony STRDH550 av receiver, but I was wondering if the sound quality could be improved with a DAC/amp.

People have suggested a Schiit Fulla, but I'm not sure if the front USB input on my receiver can also function as a powered output for the Fulla.

I know the X2 has a low impedance but I don't know what that means or how it affects sound quality when connected to various devices.

I have lots of random noob questions so bare with me, and any help would be appreciated. For instance, would I get better sound through my iPhone 6, an old 160GB iPod, my desktop PC, or my av receiver? Would a DAC/amp improve the sound on any of those specific devices? And if so, which amps work the best with the X2s?

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #5,729 of 15,268

thanks for sharing anyway im waiting to deliver my fidelio x2 and i will check asap my box..... where did you bought your fidelio x2? i bought mine on amazon(not a third party seller) so do you think im safe and my fidelio x2 is legit? sorry im paranoid, anyway im new here.....

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #5,730 of 15,268
thanks for sharing anyway im waiting to deliver my fidelio x2 and i will check asap my box..... where did you bought your fidelio x2? i bought mine on amazon(not a third party seller) so do you think im safe and my fidelio x2 is legit? sorry im paranoid, anyway im new here.....

I doubt my pair or your pair is/will be fake. I bought mine from a legit retailer, I may just be out of luck and got a pair where they hade to use glue for some reason. Anyway, you should not worry. Please get back to me about your headphones though, and this goes for everyone here. If any of you guys have glued earpads or have a box like mine, let me know about it, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back