Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 22, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #4,801 of 15,268
  I've had mine for about a month or two, I'm jut now getting into looking into a dac+amp since onboard isn't cutting it. I'm gonna give the SMSL M2 a shot with these, and I've already purchased a Schitt Modi, I'm planning on using the stack with them to see how they sound. Does anyone have any idea how good they pair up? I was trying to use my Fiio X3 with them but it makes them way too warm for my taste.

I love X2 with magni2u. It tames the bass and the highs are more detailed and airy. I'm not using Modi2u (or any external DAC) but I recommend mag2u. 

May 22, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #4,802 of 15,268
That's good to hear. Hopefully I can find a Magni 2 at a good price then. I'm going to audition the M2 but chances are I'm going to return it anyway because it has some pretty unreliable QC. It's been kind of difficult finding something that doesn't color the X2's or really any of my headphones too much.

May 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,805 of 15,268
I've given a listen to the Fidelio X2 paired with the SMSL M2, and it feels like the high are just getting killed and the bass is too much on the headphone. It seems to remove the balance that it has, for my other head[hones it didn't do it so much, but I definitely don't like what its doing to them. I guess I'm going to return it and then wait until I can get a Schitt Magni 2.

May 25, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #4,807 of 15,268
New 3.5mm Cable came in and the imbalance is still there. I tried my 598s, PFE, and Sony 7550s. Imbalance was shifted by +300mhz for 598s while earphones were harder to discern for an imbalance. I wonder if its the headphones, my laptop HP out, or my hearing. I find it odd that my earphones were less noticeable or it just might be driver pairings for each headphone affecting the results. Someone was talking about how AKG has really good driver matching/testing for even balance compared to other manufacturers.

Any news on this?
Right now I'm using an X1 and notice a weird imbalance as well, at a certain frequency.
My son needs a new headphone so I'm considering giving the X1 to him and buy me an X2, but reading this
I'm really concerned Í will be getting the same weird imbalance thing.
And the solution is definitely not upping on channel a little bit.

May 25, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #4,808 of 15,268
New 3.5mm Cable came in and the imbalance is still there. I tried my 598s, PFE, and Sony 7550s. Imbalance was shifted by +300mhz for 598s while earphones were harder to discern for an imbalance. I wonder if its the headphones, my laptop HP out, or my hearing. I find it odd that my earphones were less noticeable or it just might be driver pairings for each headphone affecting the results. Someone was talking about how AKG has really good driver matching/testing for even balance compared to other manufacturers.

Any news on this?
Right now I'm using an X1 and notice a weird imbalance as well, at a certain frequency.
My son needs a new headphone so I'm considering giving the X1 to him and buy me an X2, but reading this
I'm really concerned Í will be getting the same weird imbalance thing.
And the solution is definitely not upping on channel a little bit.

Use Sinegen to make sure that you have imbalances. I thought my X2 did suffer from it, but after the test, it turned out it is my source, not the headphones. The headphones have no imbalances. The thing was that they were sensitive enough to reveal that, unlike my previous headphones.

May 25, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #4,809 of 15,268
So I sold my Fidelio X2... Goodbye guys.
smile.gif

May 25, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #4,811 of 15,268
Use Sinegen to make sure that you have imbalances. I thought my X2 did suffer from it, but after the test, it turned out it is my source, not the headphones. The headphones have no imbalances. The thing was that they were sensitive enough to reveal that, unlike my previous headphones.

Did the test with SineGen and here's what I see/hear.

1000Hz - 1300Hz slight left
1300Hz - 1500Hz slight right
8000Hz - only left, almost no right output

The slight left and right are imho okay, it shouldn't happen but it's not that it's completely gone on the
other channel.
But the one around 8000 and at 9000/95000 slowly going back to both channels again is I think what
gives me the most problems with listening.
Did also try with some other sine sweep programs.

I have an old HD565 Ovation lying around and this one doesn't have the only left or right thing.
It does go only slight left and then right between 2500 - 5000.
I guess this slight left/right is to be found in more headphones, but one area where there's almost
only one channel audible thats not good.
Well when I buy a new headphones, these sine sweeps will be done regularly over here and if I
find any weirdness they will go back.

(mind you, the above is with the X1)

May 25, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #4,812 of 15,268
So I sold my Fidelio X2... Goodbye guys. :smile:

Did u upgrade? Or did u grow bored of the X2's sound?

Did the test with SineGen and here's what I see/hear.

1000Hz - 1300Hz slight left
1300Hz - 1500Hz slight right
8000Hz - only left, almost no right output

The slight left and right are imho okay, it shouldn't happen but it's not that it's completely gone on the
other channel.
But the one around 8000 and at 9000/95000 slowly going back to both channels again is I think what
gives me the most problems with listening.
Did also try with some other sine sweep programs.

I have an old HD565 Ovation lying around and this one doesn't have the only left or right thing.
It does go only slight left and then right between 2500 - 5000.
I guess this slight left/right is to be found in more headphones, but one area where there's almost
only one channel audible thats not good.
Well when I buy a new headphones, these sine sweeps will be done regularly over here and if I
find any weirdness they will go back.

(mind you, the above is with the X1)

Usually imbalances in the treble are frequent in headphones and should be tolerable, but if the imbalance is that severe, I cant be sure. Something similar happened to me when I was doing the test, but when I re-positioned the cup slightly, the sound came back. So try different positions for the right cup and see. Plus, just for the sake of it, try to swap the right and the left cup and see if that problem persists. ( I knw this wont be a proof of anything since the driver is angled, but when I did with mine, the sound was there and it took only a re-positioning of the cup to sound normal)...

May 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #4,813 of 15,268

I have not upgraded yet but I'm going to. The IEM I have, Earsonics Velvet, has amazing sound quality and superb mids, also very refined treble. It just kind of spoilt Fidelio X2 for me. After hearing Velvet's mids, X2's mids sounded kind of hollow and this made me turn up the volume more than usual which resulted in uncomfortable volume levels. HD650 or Oppo's PM line etc. are not the answer as they have good mids but veiled treble and disappointing bass. I'm waiting for Sennheiser HD 630 VB (variable bass), Enigma Acoustics Dharma, Audioquest Nighthawk and maybe Fidelio X3 with fuller mids and more refined treble.
smile.gif
HD 630 VB and Nighthawk are more in my price range as I prefer to spend serious amounts of money for speaker systems and not headphones.

May 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,814 of 15,268
I have not upgraded yet but I'm going to. The IEM I have, Earsonics Velvet, has amazing sound quality and superb mids, also very refined treble. It just kind of spoilt Fidelio X2 for me. After hearing Velvet's mids, X2's mids sounded kind of hollow and this made me turn up the volume more than usual which resulted in uncomfortable volume levels. HD650 or Oppo's PM line etc. are not the answer as they have good mids but veiled treble and disappointing bass. I'm waiting for Sennheiser HD 630 VB (variable bass), Enigma Acoustics Dharma, Audioquest Nighthawk and maybe Fidelio X3 with fuller mids and more refined treble. :smile: HD 630 VB and Nighthawk are more in my price range as I prefer to spend serious amounts of money for speaker systems and not headphones.

I totally I agree that the X2 leaves something to be desired in the mids. I do crank up the volume more than I want, to reach good vocal saturation. Good luck with your next upgrade. If ever buy iems soon, the Velvets will be on top of my list.

May 25, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #4,815 of 15,268

Usually imbalances in the treble are frequent in headphones and should be tolerable, but if the imbalance is that severe, I cant be sure. Something similar happened to me when I was doing the test, but when I re-positioned the cup slightly, the sound came back. So try different positions for the right cup and see. Plus, just for the sake of it, try to swap the right and the left cup and see if that problem persists. ( I knw this wont be a proof of anything since the driver is angled, but when I did with mine, the sound was there and it took only a re-positioning of the cup to sound normal)...

That indeed does a lot for certain frequencies, changing the cup.
Never thought it was so sensitive to changing how the cups are on your ear.
It's much more sensitive then the Sennheisers I have I must say.
Next time I put on the phones I have to check with sinegen and how it is placed on my head to
see I get every frequency (or is there a set and forget way, which I prefer).
I'm suprised not more people notice this as it does a lot to the soundstage/soundimage imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back