Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 17, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #4,517 of 15,268
Thanks socks mk2. The Firestone Audio stand is beautiful. I am certainly picking up that stand if another Massdrop occurs. The reason I asked is because I saw a couple pictures of X1s. Even though they have smaller headbands the suspension band looks like its stretching. It could be the angle, mods or misjudgement but I wanted to confirm before making a purchase.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #4,518 of 15,268
  I was torn between the between hd 600/650 and x1/x2. It took me weeks to finish reading these threads, reviews and comparison but I ultimately settled on the x2s. I can not wait to take them for a spin. In the meantime, do headphone stands cause the headband (hammock suspension one) to stretch?

I definitely think you made the right choice- the X2's sound the best out of that bunch. I would suggest using the top leather covered metal headband to hang the headphones with. I do believe that the suspension hammock will flex and could eventually lose some elasticity if you use it to support the entire weight.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #4,520 of 15,268
  Thanks socks mk2. The Firestone Audio stand is beautiful. I am certainly picking up that stand if another Massdrop occurs. The reason I asked is because I saw a couple pictures of X1s. Even though they have smaller headbands the suspension band looks like its stretching. It could be the angle, mods or misjudgement but I wanted to confirm before making a purchase.

I avoid stretching issues by hanging the X2 by the leather wrapped band rather than the suspension hammock.

FYI, I use this Woo Audio stand http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wahps2.html

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #4,521 of 15,268
Thank you for the suggestions and tips. I had my eye on the Woo Audio stand and I really like the simplicity of the Senn HH-10. I can never decide on accessories and I may just have to pick up a pelican case instead because our cat loves to lean or sit on ANYTHING new. Shipping box from Amazon? Let me sit in it. New keyboard? I am going to lay against it.  

I had some time with the X2s and I am loving them so far. I am currently using them without an external amp and will work my way there. I have plugged them into my HTC M8 and gaming rig with an asus sonar dx and the x2 exceeded my expectations. 

At one point I busted out in laughter listening to Mahler Symphony No.2 where the tymphany thunderously thumps in a beat down low in the distance, the strings are creating suspense right in your face, the high and low brass envelop you with a wall of powerful long tones and the french horns take off wailing with a moving line and glue everything together. All that came from this thing I play candy crusher on. To put icing on the cake, I listened to some Sugar Hill Gang - Rappers Delight right after and I was bumping with morning coffee. There are a limited number of cans that can pull that off...unamped....out of a phone. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #4,522 of 15,268
Ante ac egestas ante a lacinia lorem consectetur libero sit consectetur sit dolor mauris ultricies enim sit a consectetur hendrerit donec diam. Lacinia donec ultricies amet maecenas a sit ipsum elit diam lorem et mollis dolor mauris nec tincidunt praesent et. Lorem a ultricies sit amet lorem lacinia ac praesent viverra praesent nec lorem ante mollis diam non consectetur lectus ligula consectetur. Tortor lorem consectetur viverra a eget lacinia mauris dolor praesent lectus tortor vehicula sit. Vehicula augue a ultricies egestas ligula sed praesent a diam libero maecenas ante a lorem ipsum elit consectetur ac porta consectetur. Amet et mollis elit donec lectus non libero adipiscing hendrerit lorem. Et consectetur congue egestas donec lectus praesent augue enim donec ut.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #4,523 of 15,268
You guys must have some really horrible gear for it to sound that bad. I have the X2 and the TH900 (which is basically the better successor to the D7000), and even next to jt, the X2 sounds fantastic. Detract from the rest of the sound? Umm, no. The mids are perfectly in place and clear, and treble is vibrant and crisp, though a tad grainy if anything. The bass is full and just eger so slightly loose but nothing like how loose the X1 bass was. Soundstage is moderately large, but not huge. Still, all manners of its sound aspects work quite well with one another.

Starting to believe some people are listening for a few hours and forming an opinion. Impressions demand days to a week, IMHO. Especially when you're accustomed to other headphones, closed ones in particular.

Give the X2 SOLE priority for a few days, THEN compare. Also, swap out the cable. The stock cable still seems suspect for many people.

FYI, the D7000 is my fave headphone of all time, having owned two. Had it still been sold new, i wouldve went for a third.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #4,524 of 15,268
The Philips Fidelio X2 Headphones are available from Amazon.com for US$299.00. I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I had ordered (pre-ordered) the X2's a couple of months ago from Amazon.com. My X2's arrived last week 2015-04-15.

First impressions:
First class materials and build quality.
Removable Ear Cushions.
New low impedance cable.
Very comfortable - let your head warm the Memory Foam and they melt to your Head.
Sound - impressive (only a few hours of ear time so far).
They feel a bit heavy compared to my other Headphones
Value the US$299.00 is a very fair price

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #4,527 of 15,268
Starting to believe some people are listening for a few hours and forming an opinion. Impressions demand days to a week, IMHO. Especially when you're accustomed to other headphones, closed ones in particular.

Give the X2 SOLE priority for a few days, THEN compare. Also, swap out the cable. The stock cable still seems suspect for many people.

I totally agree with this. The brain needs time to adjust to the new sound. When I first had the X2, I was fairly disappointed when I compared them to my other headphones that I was used to. So I made the x2 my only headphones for 2 weeks then came back to compare them to those headphones. It was astonishing how different my opinion became. Those headphones are no where close to the quality of the sound the x2s produce.
Those heaphones were all closed; t51i, dt-1350, ath-m50 and fidelio l1.

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #4,529 of 15,268
I totally agree with this. The brain needs time to adjust to the new sound. When I first had the X2, I was fairly disappointed when I compared them to my other headphones that I was used to. So I made the x2 my only headphones for 2 weeks then came back to compare them to those headphones. It was astonishing how different my opinion became. Those headphones are no where close to the quality of the sound the x2s produce.
Those heaphones were all closed; t51i, dt-1350, ath-m50 and fidelio l1.

I remember...I remember telling you just get rid of them you are never going to to be happy. You complained everyday. Amazing how things change.

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #4,530 of 15,268
Yep! Brain burn-in (or whatever you call it) is real for me too. It's really bizarre stuff, I felt foolish for not immediately noticing better sonic fidelity but I guess it's a completely natural phenomenon.

It would be brilliant to have a proper scientific study in the future, on why our brains need time to adjust and what exactly is happening chemically/emotionally in our heads. But it would probably take a lot of funding and a lot of MRI scans from many people for years to get any kind of meaningful result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back