Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 23, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #4,291 of 15,268

Phillips is not going to replace the pads. I contacted them (through their website- support)
They basically informed me- as far as they are concerned- this is not an issue they are aware of and there is no replacement program in place nor in the works.
Yeah they sound great for the $$$ but
I'm selling mine.
This gives me an excuse to upgrade the new Audeze EL8

well this sucks..i was planning to buy a pair of those..

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #4,292 of 15,268
I just got a long and detailed reaction from my contact at Woox Innovations in Hongkong. I will post it tomorrow morning (it's quite late now). It's about the dye used, why they chose to use it, what's exactly going on and how to get rid of it if you have a problem with it. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #4,293 of 15,268
http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #4,294 of 15,268
The sky is falling.....
popcorn.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #4,295 of 15,268
It's like Seinfeld and his girlfriends.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #4,297 of 15,268
Just ordered my X2s from Amazon a few days ago and like some others here (and on Amazon) I was also curious as to why they projected a window of 2 - 5 weeks to ship. Today I had a chat with an Amazon rep re the wait for shipping. I was told that the reason they are listed this way instead of 'out of stock' is because they are waiting to get them from the manufacturer.

Was reading this thread a few days back and someone brought up the idea that perhaps Phillips is selling these as quickly as they can make them. Seems like it could be true considering what I was told today. Not stirring any kind of pot, just sharing. Thought it was interesting.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #4,298 of 15,268
From all the ink bleed discussion, I placed some blotter paper between the pads and the headphone stand for the last several days. Not for health concerns, but rather concerns that I wear collared shirts for work and occasionally have them resting around my neck. No ink bleed to be found.

Just a general question to those concerned with health concerns...let's say you purchased a set of cans that did not leach a small amount of ink, would you still be as concerned and check the possible toxicity of the ink/dye used in the fabric or leather? Clearly it is a quality issue where some pads are impacted with the dye not being set properly through what I would assume is a curing/heating process. Whether it possibly rubs off a little or doesn't, it's still exposed to your skin. I guess I don't understand the fears unless you take a similar approach to anything that contains a dye and makes skin contact.

Love my X2s and hope those interested in them are not steered away from them by unconfirmed beliefs that they are toxic. One of the most satisfying purchases I have made in recent memory.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #4,299 of 15,268
Just ordered my X2s from Amazon a few days ago and like some others here (and on Amazon) I was also curious as to why they projected a window of 2 - 5 weeks to ship. Today I had a chat with an Amazon rep re the wait for shipping. I was told that the reason they are listed this way instead of 'out of stock' is because they are waiting to get them from the manufacturer.

Was reading this thread a few days back and someone brought up the idea that perhaps Phillips is selling these as quickly as they can make them. Seems like it could be true considering what I was told today. Not stirring any kind of pot, just sharing. Thought it was interesting.

Actually, that doesn't surprise me. The X2 has received glowing reviews from everyone who's reviewed them online. 

The only alternative I found (besides the over priced auctions on ebay) is from Techatrone in Waco, TX. They seem to have some in stock, but I'd call them first before ordering. Also, I don't know who they are, or if they are even trustworthy. I just did a quick google shopping search, so caveat emptor. 

https://www.techatrone.com/philips-x2-27-fidelio-headphones-black?language=en&currency=USD

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #4,300 of 15,268
Playing CSGO (on PC) with my X2 is so different coming from headphones that have a bright, treble emphasis and more microdetail presence. I have no issue with soundstage picking apart directional cues. However, subtle details like footsteps are harder to hear without concentrating on or listening for them. That doesn't mean they're impossible to hear, they just don't have the ridiculous exaggeration like a DT990 does in my experience.

Powering the X2 with a Dualshock 4 controller seems to be more than sufficient volume wise while playing games. I can also hear my friends voice clearly and the game audio without having to change the balance between voice:game volume or turning down the in-game audio levels themselves. Pairing the X2 with a V-Moda BoomPro Mic works well with the PS4. I have a Blue Mic Yeti I was swapping between PC and PS4, but lack of push to talk makes the Yeti rather awful on PS4 (compared to the PC's flexibilty) due to it picking up stuff going on in the room that it shouldn't be picking up, amplifying and then broadcasting to my friends. I'd say the X2 + BoomPro combination is a win-win for both me and my friend's experience on the platform (consoles).

If I end up buying another pair of headphones, I'll be keeping these for console use at the minimum.

I think its great for csgo though. I found it better than my HD 600 (from memory) and also better tahn the HE-500, (imaging on the x2 is excellent)

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #4,302 of 15,268
I was playing some Dead Island, with no music, it's amazing. Although the zombie sounds aren't that good (poorly produced), sometimes I get the goosebumps when one of them is howling by my side. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #4,303 of 15,268
  I just got a long and detailed reaction from my contact at Woox Innovations in Hongkong. I will post it tomorrow morning (it's quite late now). It's about the dye used, why they chose to use it, what's exactly going on and how to get rid of it if you have a problem with it. 

Thank you a lot for that !
It will be very helpful for Fidelio X1/X2 owner.

For CSGO, I find it really easy to hear footsteps. Never heard the AD700 or K701, so can't compare with them.
However, I do use the Game preset of my Sound Blaster X-FI MB3 software suite, and it seem to help greatly with that.
Maybe using some similar tool (like Razor Surround), may help. :)

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #4,305 of 15,268
Just a general question to those concerned with health concerns...let's say you purchased a set of cans that did not leach a small amount of ink, would you still be as concerned and check the possible toxicity of the ink/dye used in the fabric or leather? Clearly it is a quality issue where some pads are impacted with the dye not being set properly through what I would assume is a curing/heating process. Whether it possibly rubs off a little or doesn't, it's still exposed to your skin. I guess I don't understand the fears unless you take a similar approach to anything that contains a dye and makes skin contact.

That is exactly the point I've been trying to make all along, the same risk applies for every azo dyed product on the market, its doesn't have to leave a visible residue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back