Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #4,067 of 15,268
X1 is still a great headphone. They are quite similar, X2 being a little cleaner, and better balanced. They just took the great parts of the X1 and improved upon it further.

That being said, I do prefer the X2 and wouldn't want to go back to the X1... Somewhat subtle tweaks, but worth it.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #4,068 of 15,268
Has anyone paired the X2 with a Geek Out 450?

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #4,069 of 15,268
Trying to get back to the sound of the X2. Listen to this, even on youtube it sounds good. Not promoting drug use, just like the song. Also considering it was recored in a hotel room. Make sure you turn it to the highest definition 
  1. Recorded in room 124 (8/17/77), Holiday InnEdwardsville, IL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeaZ5OIWko8

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #4,071 of 15,268
  Has anyone paired the X2 with a Geek Out 450?

I've used my X2's quite a bit with the GO720 and it works very well with more than enough power so the GO450 should work equally good.

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #4,072 of 15,268
How's the treble like? A bit concerned it might be too edgy

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #4,073 of 15,268
How's the treble like? A bit concerned it might be too edgy

I don't find the treble on the X2's edgy at all but then again my tolerance for peaky treble is pretty high from what I understand (probably due to my age
wink_face.gif
).

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #4,076 of 15,268
I've used my X2's quite a bit with the GO720 and it works very well with more than enough power so the GO450 should work equally good.

+1

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #4,077 of 15,268
Treble on these isn't harsh. It's not muffly or awful, but it's probably just a hair south of dead neutral...at least to my own ear. If a graph proves me wrong, though, that's different.

To the poster who was asking about vocals being "recessed":
Well, imagine a straight line from left to right. That would be a dead neutral response where everything is perfectly even. Going above the line will put something more forward, going below the line will mean it's recessed. In my opinion, the x2 has a little hump just below the mids, so it's not really neutral down low. Lows will not be shy on these cans, though they're not rumble-your-head-off basshead jobs either. They're meaty and strong when they need to be. Mids may seem recessed, but they're not; you won't find yourself having trouble hearing the clarity of voices, even male voices closer to that hump I mentioned. Your treble mileage may vary a little, but sybillants may be a touch softer than natural. This won't detract from a listening experience unless you're either after a treble spike or dead neutrality.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #4,078 of 15,268

I had this concern too but found the treble to be perfect ..the grado's (225e and GS1000) and AKGK501 (to a lesser extent) make my tinnitus worse, the X2 I can listen for a few hours without the tinnitus bothering me..

I love AKG 501's treble, detail and very delicate, especially strings instrumental, like this song: 

With my reference, X2 (after burn-in or brand burn, depends on you) is awesome HP, but it lacks detail and does seem a lite harsh treble to be come perfect for me.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #4,079 of 15,268
  I love AKG 501's treble, detail and very delicate, especially strings instrumental, like this song: 

With my reference, X2 (after burn-in or brand burn, depends on you) is awesome HP, but it lacks detail and does seem a lite harsh treble to be come perfect for me.

I love K501 treble as well, it never sounds harsh...but when I listen to it for an hour or more I'll pay the price afterwards, my ears go beeeeeeeep for hours.

The treble on my X2 is never ever harsh but my Violectric V200 amp contributes to that I think.. tinnitus doesn't come to hunt me afterwards..

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #4,080 of 15,268
  Treble on these isn't harsh. It's not muffly or awful, but it's probably just a hair south of dead neutral...at least to my own ear. If a graph proves me wrong, though, that's different.

To the poster who was asking about vocals being "recessed":
Well, imagine a straight line from left to right. That would be a dead neutral response where everything is perfectly even. Going above the line will put something more forward, going below the line will mean it's recessed. In my opinion, the x2 has a little hump just below the mids, so it's not really neutral down low. Lows will not be shy on these cans, though they're not rumble-your-head-off basshead jobs either. They're meaty and strong when they need to be. Mids may seem recessed, but they're not; you won't find yourself having trouble hearing the clarity of voices, even male voices closer to that hump I mentioned. Your treble mileage may vary a little, but sybillants may be a touch softer than natural. This won't detract from a listening experience unless you're either after a treble spike or dead neutrality.

How do you (and others) judge what is perfectly neutral? Like, what is your comparison to say it is a bit humped in the bass and a touch light in treble? Do you compare it to some specific headphone or speakers or what? How do you know what actually is a "dead neutral response" in order to make the comparison?

This is something I never really understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back