Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 15, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #3,512 of 15,268
Just received my X2s yesterday.  First impressions: Love the looks.  All flat black and those grilles are stunning to behold.  Right out of the box the bass is very impressive!  Full bodied prominent lows. Highs seem overly suppressed at this point, hopefully some more burn-in time will help some.  Right now I'm boosting the highs using Foobar's EQ.  Though I would prefer not using EQ's.  Foobar excepted, I find that many/most audio players don't implement EQs very well.   My personal preference is too little highs is better than too much.  So these hps suit my ears well.

Haven't noticed any channel imbalance.  Fine sound staging. Very little sibilance problems.  I'm hearing numerous subtle details in familiar recordings and thoroughly enjoying listening to all genres of music.

These headphones are comfortable.  The headband distributes their substantial weight well but the head clamping force is a bit much.  They'll probably loosen up with use and a bit of stretching.  Ear pads with the memory foam seal well but the velour can itch at times.  Glad Philips listened to their X1 customers and made the pads replaceable on the X2.  There's a bit of a chemical odor emanating from the pads but it's not too noticeable or obnoxious.  The single-sided cord is very long and the sheathing is micro-phonic to some extent but the 3.5mm detachable cable should be very easy to replace with something shorter and more sonically suitable.

Hopefully these marvelous X2's will quench my desires for any new headphone purchases for quite some time. . .
L3000.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #3,513 of 15,268
  Just received my X2s yesterday.  First impressions: Love the looks.  All flat black and those grilles are stunning to behold.  Right out of the box the bass is very impressive!  Full bodied prominent lows. Highs seem overly suppressed at this point, hopefully some more burn-in time will help some.  Right now I'm boosting the highs using Foobar's EQ.  Though I would prefer not using EQ's.  Foobar excepted, I find that many/most audio players don't implement EQs very well.   My personal preference is too little highs is better than too much.  So these hps suit my ears well.

Haven't noticed any channel imbalance.  Fine sound staging. Very little sibilance problems.  I'm hearing numerous subtle details in familiar recordings and thoroughly enjoying listening to all genres of music.

These headphones are comfortable.  The headband distributes their substantial weight well but the head clamping force is a bit much.  They'll probably loosen up with use and a bit of stretching.  Ear pads with the memory foam seal well but the velour can itch at times.  Glad Philips listened to their X1 customers and made the pads replaceable on the X2.  There's a bit of a chemical odor emanating from the pads but it's not too noticeable or obnoxious.  The single-sided cord is very long and the sheathing is micro-phonic to some extent but the 3.5mm detachable cable should be very easy to replace with something shorter and more sonically suitable.

Hopefully these marvelous X2's will quench my desires for any new headphone purchases for quite some time. . .
L3000.gif

Yeah, but what can you do with replaceable pads if Philips doesn't sell replacements?  It's in the same unfortunate predicament as the X1 is.  
frown.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #3,514 of 15,268
You make a valid point.  Considering that these hps are new I probably won't be looking for replacement pads in the near future.  Hopefully, Philips will have replacements available in the future. There may be have secondary vendors who will supply them or by then we'll be able to 3D print the bases and make our own. 
I recently found replacement pads for a pair of long discontinued Sennheiser HD540's that I purchased in 1985.

The availability of ear pads (or the lack thereof) doesn't IMO greatly diminish the value of these outstanding headphones.

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #3,515 of 15,268
Received my pair from Amazon.it a couple of days ago, fully sealed and as new. Love the all black design and the grilles, though they do look a bit awkward on the head, but what the hell, these are just for home use anyway. Coming from a pair of M80's, which I love these are just on a another level.

The bass is tight and refined as many have already noted, for a while I thought it was kinda lacking in quantity but after a couple of hours of listening I find it almost perfect. Sub-bass is definitely prominent though. Comfort is top notch, velour pads are so soft and comfortable and they sit perfectly on the head with a slight touch of clamp which makes for a perfect seal. Imagining and soundstage are just amazing, can hear so much more detail and different sounds that I've never heard with the m80's. Guitars on these are just, WOW. Overall my short and lacking impression on these. Fantastic headphones! 

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #3,516 of 15,268
Can anyone compare the HD700 to X2's..?? Im considering selling my X2's and moving to something a bit more forward sounding.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #3,517 of 15,268
^^ hd700 was a little warmer than the hd800 at the bottom but the treble made my ear drums bleed...ouch. 

IMO the x2 is way more enjoyable than the hd700. Even if they were the same price, I'd take the x2 all day. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #3,518 of 15,268
The X2's are outstanding sounding headphones, and are so easy to drive.
They do some things better than both the HD 650's and Hifiman HE-560.
They are a real pleasure to listen to.
No complaints from me at all :)

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #3,519 of 15,268
  ^^ hd700 was a little warmer than the hd800 at the bottom but the treble made my ear drums bleed...ouch. 

IMO the x2 is way more enjoyable than the hd700. Even if they were the same price, I'd take the x2 all day. 

I like treble :) a bigger version of my Amperiors would be awesome. So im hoping they have a similar sound, after reading all the comments it seems as if they are in that direction for sound.

The X2's have yet to bring a smile to my face, im not a fan of "warm" sounding cans, which is why i sold my Momentums.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #3,520 of 15,268

I like treble :) a bigger version of my Amperiors would be awesome. So im hoping they have a similar sound, after reading all the comments it seems as if they are in that direction for sound.

The X2's have yet to bring a smile to my face, im not a fan of "warm" sounding cans, which is why i sold my Momentums.

You know sometimes a sound signatures works for some and others no.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #3,524 of 15,268
Awaiting my order to be filled with Amazon......very excited!!!!......delivery due on Tuesday.
Any recommendations on on an amp/dac combo? Portable preferably. 

Assuming they all sound the same, (depending on what "school of thought" you subscribe to, the X2 are easy to drive so anything cheap like the fiio e07k or the like are probably a decent idea.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #3,525 of 15,268
  Awaiting my order to be filled with Amazon......very excited!!!!......delivery due on Tuesday.
Any recommendations on on an amp/dac combo? Portable preferably. 

So far I read and tested, X2 isn't a big deal to power up. My E10k(dac+amp) does the job pretty well and it's just 75bucks. Comparing to schiit's vali, the lows are the same but the mids and highs are better on vali (not by a great margin though). So... if you have the money, grab a modi2+magni2 stack and you'll have the setup for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back