Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 6, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #3,078 of 15,268
Yeah, still got them cheaper than most anyone else. I paid $318 USD for mine with shipping.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #3,079 of 15,268
About to buy a pair, just a quick few questions.
Will be using them with my pc which is running into a Yamaha RX V-667 home theatre unit. Would this be good enough?
I've saved up enough for an amp/dac, such as schiit vali/modi2, dragonfly v1.2 and the merdian explorer 2, yet don't
intend to be buying any other headphones for a while but will in the future.
Mostly used for music/gaming. On the gaming front am I correct in saying a DSS2 would be suffice for dolby?
I know the yamaha has cinema 3d or whatever but not sure how it holds up.

Cheers,
Jimbo

Mine will be here to Denver on Tuesday but I primarily used my X1's for gaming on ps4 and Xbox one thru a DSS1 and absolutely loooooved the sound of just that! I did later add a Fiio e12 just for fun and it did give an extra little kick but I think the DSS does great on its own. If you can find DSS one, it uses Dolby 7.1 and has seperate Bass control which I do believe the DSS2 lacks, had 5.1 and preset EQ's. Just make sure you check the audio settings for each game. Some games default audio had things sounding really bad but changing the settings to home theater makes a huge difference (GTA and The Last of Us for sure)

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #3,080 of 15,268
I won't even go there with burn in. All I'll say is that i thought the X2 sounded a bit off the 1st day. After that, I fell in love. I'll take it as my ears adjusting to the sound as i was mostly listening to very different sounding headphones just prior.

Lets leave the snake oil to some snake oil threads.

Get your X2, give yourself time to adjust to the sound, and enjoy. Simple as that.

And Matt, it may very well be driver variation between your X2 and your friends. My X2 doesnt have the 8khz dip that Tyll has, but I have one at around 7.5khz instead, among some other differences. I would easily be able to tell that difference in sweeps.

The X1 was a product of slight driver variations itself, so I don't expect everyone's X2 to be exact copies.

Thanks for that and duly noted sir. I wish that I now  tried the x1. It would have  probably been too bassy for me though. Honestly, I'm now following Philips to see what they have planned next. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #3,081 of 15,268
I asked if they could give me a discount on the ones I just purchased, since every other retailer/website would do that, since it's ebay, there's obviously no reason for them to, but I asked, just incase they're feeling nice.

If not, I might just buy them now, and return mine when I get them :|

It's a solid $60 difference. I can wait another week to use them.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #3,083 of 15,268
Thought about doing the same, mine being purchased through Amazon.  I think I'll keep my order with Amazon in case there's an issue right off the bat.  Amazon always takes care of me.  Worth an extra $60???  This time around, I think so.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #3,084 of 15,268
  More than anything I think people are just getting used to the bass on the x2, rather than some kind of change occurring to affect the sound of the x2. Only change I have noticed is a change in dac. It continues to have just too much bass for me in certain areas though.

Just read my post back some pages, I've compared two X2 together, one burned in with brand new. There's undeniable difference.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3,085 of 15,268
Let me say this, while the x2 does succeed technically at several aspects of the signature...sometimes impressively...at the end of the day the x2 gets a lot of headtime because it gets the music right. For me that's what it's all about. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #3,086 of 15,268
Wow... those ones from the Ebay seller are a steal!! $70AUD less than what i paid for mine on Amazon US! Geeze!

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3,088 of 15,268
Just read my post back some pages, I've compared two X2 together, one burned in with brand new. There's undeniable difference.

Undeniable difference that could just as easily be differences between two different headphones. I once had 3 DT990/600ohms in the house. All new, and all very slightly different sounding. No two headphones are the exact same, and driver variation always happens, unless you're AKG, where they match their drivers almost inhumanly well.

So again, lets leave the burn in discussion to some other thread and focus on the general qualitiesnof the X2.

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #3,089 of 15,268
  £149.99 X2 on ebay, bargain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181660293589?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dang, $247 shipped to US.  Hmmmmmmm I know I shouldn't, although I'd say this would be my end all headphone.  I just bought the SHP9500 too.  Maybe I'll return that and add it towards the X2.

Oh, there's a import charge, so $260 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back