Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 6, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #3,016 of 15,268
X2 with Meridian Explorer2 sounds great to my ears, more than enough power. Yet I wonder if Vorzüge Pure II would make a difference. :)

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #3,017 of 15,268
My X2s are out for delivery so will have them today! I have a concern I've never had with full size open backed HP before . I think my 2 main Amps will be overpowered for the x2 , I currently use a benchmark dac1 usb in its default lowest gain setting and an O2 on unity gain , both these amps volume pots are at about 10-12 pm for most music with senn hd800/600 which is past the 'channel imbalance ' point of roughly 9 o clock on the knob. Now with the x2 being so efficient and sensitive I am worried I will have the volume so low down the potential pot imbalance may be in issue! What do you guys reckon?!

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #3,018 of 15,268
My X2s are out for delivery so will have them today! I have a concern I've never had with full size open backed HP before . I think my 2 main Amps will be overpowered for the x2 , I currently use a benchmark dac1 usb in its default lowest gain setting and an O2 on unity gain , both these amps volume pots are at about 10-12 pm for most music with senn hd800/600 which is past the 'channel imbalance ' point of roughly 9 o clock on the knob. Now with the x2 being so efficient and sensitive I am worried I will have the volume so low down the potential pot imbalance may be in issue! What do you guys reckon?!

Channel imbalance at 9oc ? Are u sure ?

My Sansui AU 101 modified by me :wink: is as 3 time more powerful and I didn't notice any problems. At 10 oc my ears are bleeding with any headphones on my amp:wink: Still imbalance on the pot is just as any imbalance at lowest setting, slightly past 6 oc

Tbh is should be an issue don't worry.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #3,019 of 15,268

X2 is more fun headphone, better bass extension, a bit brighter sounding I suppose. HD650 is more relaxed, fluid, smooth. U can easily fall a sleep immediately in Senns while it might be a bit more difficult in x2. I would personally get x2 as having more fun more energy.

Quite honest I'm so impressed with x2. I didn't expect that at this price level it can sound that good. I'm usually quite skeptical when it comes to reviews and hypes over some headphones here and there :wink: I also have a good hearing and years of experience in speaker department and I'm still quite impressed.

Ad as I said in my previous post. Amplifier and Source is very important just to get the best of any headphones.At the same time I'm not a fan of any tube amps, proper Class A amp will outperform any tube amp on clarity and bass extension. 

The x2 does have more treble than the HD650 but its not bright and I would say the x2 is just as relaxed as the HD650 while being more fun but I would say that the x2 is still a balanced phone.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #3,022 of 15,268
Glad to see that the x2 interest is really taking off. It's deserving in it's accolades. I'm glad that I got my pair before it gets too popular. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #3,023 of 15,268
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #3,024 of 15,268
Damn these are good! So far so good , they are hitting the spot and I can't fault them yet. The bass is maybe a tad more than I am used to but it is very well integrated with everything else. I like how the soundstage has an openness without sounding thin as a result. One thing I've immediately noticed is how my focus isn't drawn to one particular element , it's like I can just enjoy the music without having certain parts of the mix highlighted and taking my attention away from the music as a whole, but that's not to say the detail and imaging isn't there it's just not distracting (HD800 I'm looking at you) .

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #3,026 of 15,268
Another thing I've noticed that stands out is how precise the centre image is! It's more like my speaker centre image, its hard to explain but I usually feel that headphones don't give me as precise centre as speakers , but these seem to get it right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back