Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 22, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #2,566 of 15,268
  Not unless you're good with Chinese and buy from authorized resellers (it's not hard to learn how to distinguish the good ones from the bad ones).

Yeah but the issue would be mostly the PITA and expense of shipping the item back to China for warranty if you live outside the country. Some companies may allow for warranties to be dealt with in your home country but a lot won't since many products are made for different markets even if the product is the same. One example I know is like this is Nikon photography gear. If you buy a lens or camera from Asia but live in the US, Nikon USA won't warranty your gear. That's why you can often buy "gray market" photo gear cheaper because you essentially are not getting a warranty like you would if you were buying a USA market piece of equipment even though it's the same thing.

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,567 of 15,268
Hi everyone,
After nearly a year of the seem headphone I ant to try a new one again and for me at this point the philips x2 is the logical choice.
However, even though Philips is originally Dutch the headphone is not available at many places (if any) and the few that have it dont seem to have it in stock. Also, it has been out for a few months now but still very expensive. Any good (international) places where I might get this or an fellow Ductchies that can show me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #2,568 of 15,268
If worse come to worse maybe you could get someone in another country to buy them for you and ship them but I'm sure that will add considerable cost. I have no idea what it would cost to ship from the US to the Netherlands but I'm sure it's pricey. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #2,570 of 15,268
  Hi everyone,
After nearly a year of the seem headphone I ant to try a new one again and for me at this point the philips x2 is the logical choice.
However, even though Philips is originally Dutch the headphone is not available at many places (if any) and the few that have it dont seem to have it in stock. Also, it has been out for a few months now but still very expensive. Any good (international) places where I might get this or an fellow Ductchies that can show me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Greetings, Anouk,

I bought it from Amazon.it. It seems to be out of stock now though.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #2,571 of 15,268
  Yeah but the issue would be mostly the PITA and expense of shipping the item back to China for warranty if you live outside the country. Some companies may allow for warranties to be dealt with in your home country but a lot won't since many products are made for different markets even if the product is the same. One example I know is like this is Nikon photography gear. If you buy a lens or camera from Asia but live in the US, Nikon USA won't warranty your gear. That's why you can often buy "gray market" photo gear cheaper because you essentially are not getting a warranty like you would if you were buying a USA market piece of equipment even though it's the same thing.

That makes sense. I agree with you there.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #2,572 of 15,268
well, I don't live in the US and someone in my country is helping me to buy X2 from amazon only, the X2 will cost me around $355 including every charges. does it worth that much? should I get it now or wait for some price drop. at amazon there are only 16 X2s left and more on the way. thanks

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #2,573 of 15,268
  well, I don't live in the US and someone in my country is helping me to buy X2 from amazon only, the X2 will cost me around $355 including every charges. does it worth that much? should I get it now or wait for some price drop. at amazon there are only 16 X2s left and more on the way. thanks

It's still more or less a bargain at that price, given how good it sounds

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #2,576 of 15,268
Jan 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,578 of 15,268

LCD-2 is not worth the money it's sold for. They are also hard to drive, you'd need an amp. Try Oppo PM-2 and Fostex TH600. They're reasonably priced good headphones. I like X2 more than them as a true all-rounder but I wouldn't deny they're really good too. I'm even considering TH600 when it falls below [size=inherit]kr4,062.88[/size] (I think it should have been priced [size=inherit]kr4,054.75[/size] from the start). PM-2 sounds better than LCD-2 as a planar magnetic, TH600 has an amazing bass which is good for EDM.

X2 has everything I like about headphones in a single package. It's an amazing headphone to me. But Oppo PM-2 and TH600 have their own strengths. PM-2 has glourious mids, TH600 is a basshead headphone pretending to be an audiophile headphone. Beware though, none of them is an all-rounder like X2.

If I were you though, I'd try X2 with an amp that has a low impedance output first.

"X1 is a basshed can. The Oppo isn't." -Tyll Hertsen
This is the x1 of course and not the x2, but still. 

Might be quoting Tyll too much now but I believe he mentioned the th600 being too bright for him.
And looking at the graph it does look like it got a bit of treble peak compared to mids.
The amount of bass looks nice though :wink:
I have been comparing graphs, and looking for non bright headphones, and keeping the treble below the midrange seems like a good idea to me, not sure if i'm correct. 

Too bad the Oppo pm-2 goes for 900eu over here, almost 4 times the price of the x2.
In USA you can get it for 600eu which seems more reasonable. Still out of my budget atm though. 
They seem like good headphones.

Someone mentioned in another thread that all-rounders wont have as big of a wow factor as genre specific headphones. 
This might be something im experiencing, the x2 is just pretty good overall, but it doesnt do so well for hardstyle for example, where i'd like more bass.
But then it would sound crap for other genres so =P 

Okay so two people mentioned trying an amp. I dont have any experience with amps/dacs.
One of the things I liked about the x2 was that it didn't need one.
I'm not sure if an amp would benefit it much, reviews seems to back this up.
Seems to me that it would be better to put that money towards a more expensive headphone.
I might still consider getting one though.
If I decide to keep the x2 then yes, why not try an amp/dac as well.
Would a dac make most difference or an amp? Considering I use onboard audio.

I got X2 and LCD2.2. Main difference is that LCD2 is more transparent and realistic, none of that grain you can find on X2's highs, also more impactful, detailed and linear in the bass. I wish X2 were as good as them but when you compare both with the same music LCD2 is clearly better but is a lot more expensive and uncomfortable and needs an amp. X2 are excellent for the price and I prefer them to He400, DT990, and K701.   

What if you're not a/b-ing them but just listen for a few hours. Do you notice the difference and think like "damn these x2's doesn't sound as good" :wink: 
I'm a painter and listen while I paint, so i'm not doing critical listening. Still though, I think I pay a fair amount of attention to the music.
  Well once you go beyond the [size=inherit]kr2,437.73[/size] headphones, IMO, you're going to get rapidly diminishing returns. It's either going to be small improvements here and there or simply a different sound.

Would you say the X2's bass is a significant improvement over the 770 pros?

Diminishing returns is what I might already be experiencing with the move from dr150->x2. 
Got the dr150 for 100eu many years ago, and the x2 for 240eu. Twice the price and it sounds more like 20% better. 

So im afraid that going for lcd/oppo for 4 times the price would also just give me another 10-20%.
But ye, coming from dr150->lcd/oppo would maybe mean 40% better instead of 20% so I guess that's the increase in quality I would have wanted, but it's very uncertain if that would be worth the price. 

I've been listening more to the x2 now, and not just a/b-ing them and trying to find faults, and I quite like them.
On the weekend I will have more time to listen so let's see what happens.

I have been thinking a bit and for the coming years I cant see myself spending up to a 1000eu for a pair of headphones, it's just not in the budget. 
And if the x2 is as good as it gets in the sub 500 range then so be it.

Still if there is any other headphones in the same price range as x2 I should try please let me know. 
Requirements are of course equal or more quantity bass as x2, non recessed mids, not too bright. I got slight tinnitus and just dont like too much treble.

I was actually considering the UE6000 just because it got that huge bass and recessed highs im looking for =P 
Might be a real downgrade from the x2 though, lets just hope the x2 keeps being non-fatiguing.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #2,579 of 15,268
@tobzy
What motherboard are you running them out of? 

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,580 of 15,268
Asus P9X79 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79/specifications/

Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC 
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection 
- DTS Ultra PC II
- DTS Connect
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back