Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 13, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #2,341 of 15,268
  It's sad to see most likely bright and fatiguing EL-8 getting so much hype, yet these amazing headphones get little (Yes, I'm a fanboy everytime I listen to a song with X2). That's what brand name and believing that more money=better sound will get you, empty wallets, no less.

Maybe it's because Audeze's previous headphones sound better than Philips X2. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,342 of 15,268
I don't own an X2 but and thinking about. Looks like a great HP and also pretty easy to drive. Anyone benefit from a balanced cable or is that even an option ( desired or not)

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #2,345 of 15,268
  Hello everyone!

I've been spending way too much time researching for a new upgrade (coming from a Grado SR 60i which I love) and I still can't seem to settle on any one model. I've been considering the SR 225e or SR 325e along w/the Philips X2. Can anyone with experience w/the Grados tell me how they compare w/the X2?

BTW, I don't have any HI-Fi shop nearby that sell anything other than Grado so auditioning several models is not an option. I rely heavily on forums such as this for Audio equipment purchases.

Thanks for any input!

I am interested in this same comparison.  I am coming from the SR80 (the old one...)  From what I can gather, the SR225 is probably the Grado to get.  

In the meantime - what I end up doing in your situation is to look for comparisons by extension...this X2 thread (and some reviews) has a number of comparisons to some other headphone, such as the AKG k701 and Senn HD598, HD600 and HD650.  So search head fi for a comparison of the Grado's and one of these head phones.  For example - searching for HD598 and AKG k701 and the grados give you this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608933/sennheiser-hd-598-akg-k701-akg-q701-or-grado-sr

And:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/420925/the-akg-k-701-vs-grado-sr-225-vs-shure-se530-throwdown

Now search the X2 thread (this one) for HD598 and AKG K701.  Pay attention to what they describe for sound signature and other aspects important to you.  My current SR80s...I want to get better bass, a less aggressive midrange, up the build quality, and not get to edgy on the higher end, easy to drive.  So the X2 seems like the way to go for me.  My only concern is that we are in the honeymoon love period and so many folks are on the bandwagon...might be because the X2 is really that good, but could get a backlash sometime....

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #2,346 of 15,268
aJust received my pair from Amazon.it , these just blew my socks off, the soundstage, separation and clarity are just awesome its also really nice for people with glasses as well due to the lower clamping pressure

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #2,347 of 15,268
  It's sad to see most likely bright and fatiguing EL-8 getting so much hype, yet these amazing headphones get little (Yes, I'm a fanboy everytime I listen to a song with X2). That's what brand name and believing that more money=better sound will get you, empty wallets, no less.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to buy from them at first guess. That's how I was with the X1/X2 at least. I thought of Philips as a old brand that came to making horrible products like RCA now days. Reading reviews and the comparisons towards the HD600, and Tyll is what got me sold. Maybe the Audeze guys haven't seen the reviews or praise about these yet. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #2,348 of 15,268

Maybe it's because Audeze's previous headphones sound better than Philips X2. 

Maybe... But that's subjective as Breaker said. LCD-3, sure. LCD-2? Not really. It's become too analytical with later revisions. Bass has been reduced in favour of a more neutral sound. I prefer X2 over it. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #2,349 of 15,268
  I sure as hell wouldn't want to buy from them at first guess. That's how I was with the X1/X2 at least. I thought of Philips as a old brand that came to making horrible products like RCA now days. Reading reviews and the comparisons towards the HD600, and Tyll is what got me sold. Maybe the Audeze guys haven't seen the reviews or praise about these yet. 

You're right, but I'm sure many will pay without even auditioning them. I did that mistake once, with AKG Q701 and I still regret it.

I'm interested in Enigma Acoustics Dharma. Tyll's said they're really good. The funny thing is they look like Fidelio headphones! 
bigsmile_face.gif
 I think the designer copied too much from Fidelio X2/L2.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #2,350 of 15,268
  Maybe... But that's subjective as Breaker said. LCD-3, sure. LCD-2? Not really. It's become too analytical with later revisions. Bass has been reduced in favour of a more neutral sound. I prefer X2 over it. 

rolleyes.gif
 I have LCD2 rev 2 and Fidelio X2. I have compared them, Fidelio X2 are very good for the price and don't need an amp but come on, LCD2 are clearly better: no grain, more refined highs, deeper and more controlled bass... 

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #2,351 of 15,268

rolleyes.gif
 I have LCD2 rev 2 and Fidelio X2. I have compared them, Fidelio X2 are very good for the price and don't need an amp but come on, LCD2 are clearly better: no grain, more refined highs, deeper and more controlled bass... 

But with a good amp Fidelio X2 will do much better job

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #2,352 of 15,268

rolleyes.gif

All these revisions of LCD-2 is confusing to me, but I auditioned the latest version (fazor and whatnot) from a guy who wanted to sell it for USD 600 and was not impressed compared to my X2. I was pscyhed due to low price because I thought I was going to hear incredible soundstage and amazing bass (it's hard to find second hand Audezes where I live). After auditioning, I thought X2 bass was better, LCD-2 was bass-shy to me. Maybe previous versions had better bass?.. Also, LCD-2 were slightly grainy. I think Tyll mentioned the same in his review. The high price of LCD-2 stems from being hand-crafted in the USA and expensive materials. For the sound quality it offers, USD 499 seems about right. I'm sorry but it's just not that good. I listened to so many high-end gear that I think people are being ripped off most of the time.

I respect your opinion though.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #2,353 of 15,268
Impressions on X2
Having owned HD600s, wich i loved very much but ended up selling after getting some HD800s, I have to say these are clearly better. Yes, better than HD600s and near HD800s. I'm the one who spent 1200 dollars for HD800s anyway :p
Vs HD600s: X2 has much better soundstage,sound is more realistic; definitely more enjoyable sound (especially bass is more extended, textured and present, one of the weaknesses of HD600 IMO), highs are more airy, much more holographical sounding but still lightly warm and smooth sound. Mids on X2 are more neutral( I always found HD600 to have a little peak at 3-4 khz) but equally natural. HD600 is near neutral, but there is a little veil, because it is a little warm but with not very good bass extension and forward mids around 3-4 khz. 
deadhorse.gif

VS HD800s:X2 has a little less wide sound,separation, detail and articulation on par. Still more enjoyable, but HD800's sound is a little more transparent (faster, more control, less distortion?) but not by much. still X2 has better depth, more credibility and a more balanced sound, in fact they are very good even without amp. HD800 has a more analytical sound (it is not bright, but bass is very fast and it presents detail in a forward sounding way)
These are the most enjoyable headphones I have ever heard. Neutral but fun, with both a hint of warmth and of sparkle. Fenomenal. 
dt880smile.png

Comfort and build quality are very high. Pads are very comfy (no problems of ink leak), headband almost disappears. More comfortable on ears than HD600, about on par with HD800s. Cable has much better quality than HD600's stock but seems less high end than HD800's.
Price/performance ratio is the best i have ever seen in audio. If these were selling for 900$, it would still be good value. Yes they are that good
I have had them for few days (almost two weeks), thus the sound may change ... will post if it happens.

Look is very good for the headphones by themselves, not so much on head because of the big headband system,looks a bit weird on head. Still very sexy though 
biggrin.gif

P.S. The stand was made by myself. I spent about 5 euros getting material from Ikea 
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #2,354 of 15,268
I admire HD800 for what it is. A technically amazing headphone and a marvel of German engineering. But I prefer X2 over it. X2 is so much more musical and enjoyable that it makes me lost in the music. I understand why many people would prefer HD800, but to me enjoying music is more important. No headphone makes me dance like X2 does. It's like a modern HD650. :)

In car terms, HD800 is a Rolls Royce. You feel like a boss in it. Fidelio X2 is BMW M4. You have a hot Russian model next to you and you're driving on the roads of French Riviera by the lovely Mediterranean coast. And it's so much more fun to drive than the Rolls Royce.

I think Hal X's impressions are spot on. You should write a full review mate. 
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #2,355 of 15,268
  I admire HD800 for what it is. A technically amazing headphone and a marvel of German engineering. But I prefer X2 over it. X2 is so much more musical and enjoyable that it makes me lost in the music. I understand why many people would prefer HD800, but to me enjoying music is more important. No headphone makes me dance like X2 does. It's like a modern HD650. :)

In car terms, HD800 is a Rolls Royce. You feel like a boss in it. Fidelio X2 is BMW M4. You have a hot Russian model next to you and you're driving on the roads of French Riviera by the lovely Mediterranean coast. And it's so much more fun to drive than the Rolls Royce.

I think Hal X's impressions are spot on. You should write a full review mate. 
wink.gif

I completely agree 
wink.gif

Review is done, see my sig, will add more with time. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back