Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 11, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,327 of 15,268
Hello everyone. I'm a long time lurker and I've just registered after quite some time spending on comparing headphones.
For a few months I was comparing between the AKG K712 pro and the Sennheiser HD650. I came to the conclusion and bought the AKG K712. I sent them back however because I didn't like the sound at all. I want a more warm sound for entertainment purpose. I did however love the comfort, which is probably my highest priority. 

I've got the AudioTechnica ATH-M50s (who doesn't :wink: ) but I have a big issue with my ears heating up, so I can't use them for 30-60 minutes before they drive me nuts. 
Now I want good comfortable headphones because I want to start streaming and generally I game for extremely long sessions. 
I think the Fidelio X2's sound would give me the warm and more bassy sound than the AKG K712s would. 
I know the Fidelio X2 weights much more, but I'm not too concerned about that. But I do like to know if there is some heat build up with these? With the K712 pro I didn't have any heat issues at all, and I don't expect that from these either because both are open back headphones. But still I'd like to get this confirmed.

Also, I do not own an AMP/DAC. I do however use the control panel of the Logitech Z-5500 as my audio source for headphones. Would this setup be okay or do I really need to buy something like a Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2? This combo is my only option as they are both rather cheap but also I'm a sucker for clean esthetics. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #2,329 of 15,268
  Hello everyone. I'm a long time lurker and I've just registered after quite some time spending on comparing headphones.
For a few months I was comparing between the AKG K712 pro and the Sennheiser HD650. I came to the conclusion and bought the AKG K712. I sent them back however because I didn't like the sound at all. I want a more warm sound for entertainment purpose. I did however love the comfort, which is probably my highest priority. 

I've got the AudioTechnica ATH-M50s (who doesn't :wink: ) but I have a big issue with my ears heating up, so I can't use them for 30-60 minutes before they drive me nuts. 
Now I want good comfortable headphones because I want to start streaming and generally I game for extremely long sessions. 
I think the Fidelio X2's sound would give me the warm and more bassy sound than the AKG K712s would. 
I know the Fidelio X2 weights much more, but I'm not too concerned about that. But I do like to know if there is some heat build up with these? With the K712 pro I didn't have any heat issues at all, and I don't expect that from these either because both are open back headphones. But still I'd like to get this confirmed.

Also, I do not own an AMP/DAC. I do however use the control panel of the Logitech Z-5500 as my audio source for headphones. Would this setup be okay or do I really need to buy something like a Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2? This combo is my only option as they are both rather cheap but also I'm a sucker for clean esthetics. 

You don't really need an amp/dac. Meridian Explorer2 I use is better than laptops obviously but Z-5500's amp will do, I think. Try first, if volume level is not sufficient, then consider buying dac/amp.

I had AKG Q701s which I hated. X2 is much much better. It has a fun sound and is good for films and games.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #2,330 of 15,268

You don't really need an amp/dac. Meridian Explorer2 I use is better than laptops obviously but Z-5500's amp will do, I think. Try first, if volume level is not sufficient, then consider buying dac/amp.

I had AKG Q701s which I hated. X2 is much much better. It has a fun sound and is good for films and games.

Ah nice that's good to know, thank you. Do you have any issues with heat around the ears or inside your ears? 

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2,331 of 15,268
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006Z9XUN4/ref=pd_aw_sbs_5?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1#

Anyone who thinks this shd be an upgrad to the stock cable?

Probably not.  I would not pay $80 for a cable from amazon, even if the seller claimed to have coated the copper with unicorn poop.  

Even when everyone was swapping out the X1 cables, the consensus was that any lower impedance cable was good enough to to the job of slightly* tightening up the bass on the X1.  All signs point to the stock X2 cable being just fine.

Switch only if you want a shorter length.  If you're willing to pay $80 for it, you could probably get custom cables made for you from any number of vendors on Head-Fi.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #2,332 of 15,268
  Ah nice that's good to know, thank you. Do you have any issues with heat around the ears or inside your ears? 

No, nothing. It's very comfortable for me. Some people have reported neck pain after long use (2-3 hours) but I have not experienced anything like that. I have to say I work out regularly though so have stronger neck muscles than the average person.

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #2,336 of 15,268
Jan 12, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #2,337 of 15,268
I recommend all EDM lovers to buy David Guetta's new album, Listen. It seems David Guetta has returned back to his roots as this album has a classic house sound rather than the modern electro house he'd been doing for the last few years. Dangerous is a great track, and it absolutely sounds amazing with Fidelio X2. It makes me dance by myself. :)

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,338 of 15,268
Hello everyone!

I've been spending way too much time researching for a new upgrade (coming from a Grado SR 60i which I love) and I still can't seem to settle on any one model. I've been considering the SR 225e or SR 325e along w/the Philips X2. Can anyone with experience w/the Grados tell me how they compare w/the X2?

BTW, I don't have any HI-Fi shop nearby that sell anything other than Grado so auditioning several models is not an option. I rely heavily on forums such as this for Audio equipment purchases.

Thanks for any input!

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #2,339 of 15,268
It's sad to see most likely bright and fatiguing EL-8 getting so much hype, yet these amazing headphones get little (Yes, I'm a fanboy everytime I listen to a song with X2). That's what brand name and believing that more money=better sound will get you, empty wallets, no less.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #2,340 of 15,268
That's what brand name and believing that more money=better sound will get you, empty wallets, no less.

Don't be too shocked. You've highlighted something that's occurred to various degrees in the hi-fi audio market for decades...

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back