Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,261 of 15,268
Impressions so far:

I actually enjoy these quite a bit more than the HD600/650 or the Sony Z7. I actually found the HD600s to be mildly fatiguing after long listens. They're way more comfortable than the HD600/650s. They look reall sleek too. I find the bass impact on the X2 to hit harder than either the 600/650 and it's right where I want it. The bass is quite punchy and well-controlled for an open headphone. I find the bass to be tighter than the Sony Z7s but the Z7s have a larger sound stage. In fact that's the only negative I find with the X2s, the soundstage is small but this a $300 headphone so I'm really nitpicking at this point. I don't have the 600/650 with me to compare detail retrieval.

Biggest differences between X2 and the 1540 (Sorry I can't remember who asked for this comparison):
-Bass is more detailed on 1540
-Soundstage is bigger on the 1540
-Sub-bass is hard to hear on the X2 and much more able to distinguish on the 1540 (this is typical of open vs. closed headphones)
-Comfort is almost a tie but the headband is more comfortable on the X2 so I'd give a small lead to the X2.
-Build quality is better on the X2 as it is constructed of stronger materials.
-X2 doesn't come with a case but the 1540s do and the 1540 case includes an extra cable and extra set of earpads.
lofthanza grizzlybear
Let me know if either of you two have any specific questions about the X2 vs. Z7/1540.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #1,263 of 15,268
I laughed when someone said unlike hip hop, edm has treble. Dont know what hip hop you're listening to, but so many tracks have quite overstated bass and treble. Sibilance is a normal occurrence in hip hop.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #1,264 of 15,268
Impressions so far:

I actually enjoy these quite a bit more than the HD600/650 or the Sony Z7. I actually found the HD600s to be mildly fatiguing after long listens. They're way more comfortable than the HD600/650s. They look reall sleek too. I find the bass impact on the X2 to hit harder than either the 600/650 and it's right where I want it. The bass is quite punchy and well-controlled for an open headphone. I find the bass to be tighter than the Sony Z7s but the Z7s have a larger sound stage. In fact that's the only negative I find with the X2s, the soundstage is small but this a $300 headphone so I'm really nitpicking at this point. I don't have the 600/650 with me to compare detail retrieval.

Biggest differences between X2 and the 1540 (Sorry I can't remember who asked for this comparison):
-Bass is more detailed on 1540
-Soundstage is bigger on the 1540
-Sub-bass is hard to hear on the X2 and much more able to distinguish on the 1540 (this is typical of open vs. closed headphones)
-Comfort is almost a tie but the headband is more comfortable on the X2 so I'd give a small lead to the X2.
-Build quality is better on the X2 as it is constructed of stronger materials.
-X2 doesn't come with a case but the 1540s do and the 1540 case includes an extra cable and extra set of earpads.
lofthanza grizzlybear
Let me know if either of you two have any specific questions about the X2 vs. Z7/1540.

very strange that you say the 1540 has a bigger soundstage. I find my x1 has a significantly larger soundstage than my 1540.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,265 of 15,268
Given the amount of useful impression/feedback already, I'm not sure how useful this post will be, but wanted to share my early thoughts a little. To give a little disclaimer, I'm only relatively recently venturing into the realm of headphones. Might I say, there is a staggering amount of information out there. Also, not terribly bank account friendly.

After listening to the new headphones a bit, there were a few tracks that I thought left points of interest regarding the characteristics of the headphones so wanted to talk in context of those tracks.

LTJ Bukem (the lingering bass notes that form the background pulse of your typical progression sessions track I find to give a good sustained exposure to how the bass will be portrayed - usually this is a nice way to test for bloat-y/flabby uncontrolled bass for me as well) the X2 did quite well here. Not sure exactly why I was kind of expecting it to not do quite as well, but the bass was well sustained and organic in sound while being well controlled. Almost oxymoronic to have lazy bass notes being portrayed organically yet controlled (this is clearly a good thing to me). Nicely done then, X2. So basically, I'll consider bass heavy/heavier genres fair game on these headphones (so far), and unless you're stoutly in the basshead camp I think most would also appreciate how bass is presented. The extension is nice. The bass is controlled and tight even when lazy or merely for background tone.

Bert Jansch - Angie/Anji

A song that I much enjoy. But a song that usually pulls out sharp sibilance attacks that I unfortunately have issues being able to deal with, in certain headphones. The notes were clean, even the intentional sharp loud twangs of the strings came in crystal clear, yet no pain. Huzzahs all around. No harsh shrieking raking on my eardrums. Hopefully this is the case for majority of listening I do. Fingers crossed etc.

If you want another song to see if there will be some screeching, you can always try Ray Charles' - Hallelujah I love Her So (I've had issues with the sax and trumpets on certain headphones).

Chet Atkins playing Jerry Reed's - Baby's Coming Home

I'll start off by saying, I was surprised by how it conveyed the mood of the song so well. This is of course after considering the obvious factors like the purpose of the song, tone of play, recording factors etc. The creaminess (not a fan of this descriptor, but really it was the apt word to describe it I promise) of the guitar play, especially during the cascading harmonics, all cleanly came through. Also wanted to say the percussion was very well portrayed here. Was a nice treat for me. I'm starting to understand why the X1 was generally viewed as a good all-rounder (especially when considering price point).

As an aside, headphones are undeniably fun to me when you're doing another pass of a song to listen to a different part or instrument or aspect of the sound to make sure you're correctly conveying what you want to convey and instead just find yourself with your eyes closed, enjoying the music with a stupid smile on your face. Then having to re-listen because you forgot to write as you're listening. For the 4th time.

I honestly don't quite remember where I got that these headphones would not be good for classical, but that's what I thought going into it. But pieces like Chopin's Op. 10 No. 4 sounded quite good, as did Op. 25 No. 1. Both pieces vying for clarity in different ways from the headphones (aggressive vs. not). The recordings I listened to were performed by Murray Perahia (for those that wanted to test). Op. 25 No. 12 (also a good piece) had a few brief parts I thought sounded slightly muddy but overall good. From the little listening I've done, while classical might not be its laser focus, I think it's certainly capable of doing quite well.

Thanks to a friend all obsessed with the new Donkey Kong, I did have to share this one track: Seashore War. What would you call that in the beginning? I'm assuming they used chimes and put a filter on it and maybe edited it a bit? But whatever it is, it's the most melodic sound of "actual" ice I've ever heard. A fun song that sounds good on the X2. Makes me want to eventually go buy a Wii U for this game.

Funny how initially, given that there seemed to be a decent amount of impressions and feedback already regarding the sound characteristics (by those with better knowledge and set ups), I really only wanted to briefly comment on the aesthetics of the headphones or more specifically the color. But that ended up with me uselessly rambling about my impressions of the sound above ha ha. Sorry :frowning2:.

Aesthetics (color scheme):

I'm one of those that preferred the X1's color scheme over the X2. Since in the pictures I saw, the X2 looked slightly flat, as in it lacked depth to me. Guess the initial impression was that it was a little too "stealth" with the tiniest hint of the "gamer gear" type feel with the just straight black that I thought it was (the same small concern in the back of my mind I have for the K7XX which I ended up also ordering). But in person, it is tastefully multi-tonal. The chrome accents of the grill and the headband goes well with the matte, soft grey of the cups and the black of the velour pads. But what I liked most, was the subtle (perhaps maybe because I never noticed it in the pictures) dark gunmetal-ish brown hue of the ring that holds the cups. It's very nice. Or perhaps it's just the lighting here playing tricks on me, but I did carry the headphones to different light sources and stare intently at the ring like I had potential mental issues to onlookers, just to be sure. Since in certain types of lighting the ring looks to be a dark charcoal grey. Either way, the "tanned bronze" ring brings it all together for me, and breathes life into a potentially sterile looking headphones. But it luckily isn't. I very much like the styling of it, and could easily personally consider it more on the timeless side of the spectrum versus trendy when it comes to the styling of the headphones. Which is very in tune with what I prefer. So if this was a concern for some of you, as it was for me, I'll say it definitely looks better in person.

Misc.:

I know there were some fit issues with the X1 for some, so thought I'd mention that I have a head I would say is somewhere between medium and large. And out of the box, I didn't have any clamping issues, no stretching required, it just sat comfortably on my head. What I initially wished were slightly heavier feeling headphones (due to feeling the lightness of the headphones didn't quite match the visual image I was getting from the "quality" feel department) turned out to be better that it wasn't. Since, once it's on the head, I honestly kind of forget it's there. So basically light and comfortable. I've been wearing these for about 5+ hours straight and don't have a single comfort issue. The weight is pretty well distributed on the head. Not sure how much of a role this plays, but just in case it matters these are my first velour ear pads. I will say that while I enjoy the sound and also their looks, I wish the leather that they used was a bit softer. It cheapens the feel a bit with how hard and slightly plastic-y it feels. But that's hardly a big gripe (and considering the price, really a non-issue). Merely nitpicking a bit to mentally assure myself that it's not just 100% honeymoon phase with the product doing the talking (hopefully ha ha).

While I haven't tried aggressively throwing specific songs at it to test the headphones yet (mostly been akin to just A.D.D. enjoyment of a child aimlessly running about enjoying new headphones) clearly I have a lot more listening to do (more music, try some movies out, gaming too) to better understand these headphones, but going on only a day of ownership so far, things are looking very fun. And isn't that why we're all here? Enjoying our music and sounds.

Listening was done off a laptop with an O2 amp. From my brief moments trying them, they sounded good straight out of both the Nexus 5 and the Cowon J3 as well. A nice bonus if the situation arises. Although, as expected they do leak a lot so that might negate some of the benefits of bare bones portability.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,266 of 15,268
While I haven't tried aggressively throwing specific songs at it to test the headphones yet (mostly been akin to just A.D.D. enjoyment of a child aimlessly running about enjoying new headphones) clearly I have a lot more listening to do (more music, try some movies out, gaming too) to better understand these headphones, but going on only a day of ownership so far, things are looking very fun. And isn't that why we're all here? Enjoying our music and sounds.

Great write up!  I too have been listening to songs haphazardly like an ADD child.  And like you, I've found myself occasionally swept up by the power of the music and shutting off the pesky analytical part of my mind.  In the end that's what it's all about.  

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,267 of 15,268
Just received the Philips Fidelio X2 today from Amazon.com. I'm coming from a HD-650 paired with a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus.

First impressions are rather good (no burn-in). I'm quite impressed from Philips with the sound quality. Bass is very good, but a little bit muddy (It is getting better the more I listen). Mids are a bit recessed compared to the HD-650's. Instrument separation on the HD-650's is much better. I kept interchanging between the two headphones and initial impressions are that they are indeed a "fun sounding headphone" and are quite impressive for $300. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 They are "clear" sounding, but I just felt like the HD-650's were "clearer". Even with all the people that say the HD-650's have a veil. 
wink.gif

I'm currently burning them in with pink noise and hopefully the bass will get tighter and everything will start coming out and sounding better. I am rather hopeful! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #1,268 of 15,268
So initial reaction to the X2... Hmm, no longer need to adjust the headband, though it's a bit clampy.

Soundwise, sounds... a bit weird to me at first. Can't put my finger on it. I'll give it some time, as it's been awhile since I've heard an open headphone that wasn't dark.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,269 of 15,268
  Just received the Philips Fidelio X2 today from Amazon.com. I'm coming from a HD-650 paired with a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus.

First impressions are rather good (no burn-in). I'm quite impressed from Philips with the sound quality. Bass is very good, but a little bit muddy (It is getting better the more I listen). Mids are a bit recessed compared to the HD-650's. Instrument separation on the HD-650's is much better. I kept interchanging between the two headphones and initial impressions are that they are indeed a "fun sounding headphone" and are quite impressive for $300. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 They are "clear" sounding, but I just felt like the HD-650's were "clearer". Even with all the people that say the HD-650's have a veil. 
wink.gif

I'm currently burning them in with pink noise and hopefully the bass will get tighter and everything will start coming out and sounding better. I am rather hopeful! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the impressions. No longer curious about these.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #1,270 of 15,268
I don't think the X2 will be taking the reigns away from headphones like the 650, DT880, and K712.

It's good sounding, REALLY good, but it isn't perfect.

The tuning is great, but technicalities don't quite match the popular mid-fi cans, FWIH. It's mid-fi, but slightly below the classics. For one, the graininess in the treble isn't hard to hear.

I think these will be very popular though. Bass is good, sound is dynamic, clear, and spacious. Once these hit the $250 range, it's gonna be a treat for many.

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,271 of 15,268
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHEWwttdfX0[/VIDEO]

Tried to get this out the gate quickly. :D

Looks like I have the first unboxing!

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,272 of 15,268

smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Did You use tube output or SS output with your D1+ ? My X1 reacts very noticeably to tube changing.
I do belive in "burn-in" with these cans because my X1 changed quite much after ~week playtime without listening meanwhile (only checking few times shortly), so not much related effect to brain-burn-in. I do not claim that burn-in is certain but that`s what I experienced in case of X1 and already many users have reported X1/X2 to improve with ~150-200h playtime. Give them also littlebit amping and don`t listen HD650 for a while and then compare again :wink: Not saying that X2 should win but just make sure You don`t "rush" giving final verdict :wink:

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #1,273 of 15,268
I'm really enjoying the X2. It sounds great. They have a definite winner with the X2. I think when they move up to a higher end, other companies better watch out.

The tuning is nearly perfect, IMHO.

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,275 of 15,268
The HD700 and the TH600 are far from flagship level headphones IMO. Great impressions though!

That's why I wrote in quotation mark. :) They are not flagships but 2nd best of Senn and Fostex. Still expensive for most people unlike X2. I must say though, X2 is to me preferable to HD800 and TH900 as well. TH900's highs are piercing which I cannot tolerate. HD800, while technically much better, is less musical. HD800 is like a surgeon. Great at his job but not emotional. X2 is musical and technically better than HD650 with great bass, so it's perfect for me. I think it's like a better HD650 which doesn't need amping which therefore results in awesomeness. :) One man's treasure is another man's trash so others may think differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back