Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #991 of 15,268
No idea.  I can't imagine you taking much of a hit since its such a new product.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #993 of 15,268
  Yeah I'll probably end up like this, thank you guys! Might even wait for black friday and see if it gets even cheaper (though it's already quite a steal).

Black friday...
mmm...
Probably won't be cheaper because it's been released so recently though.

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #994 of 15,268
For those A/B testing the X2s against other headphones, particularly the X1s, don't forget to factor in sufficient time for the memory foam ear pads to warm up and conform to the shape of your head.  

I noticed a distinct difference in the amount of bass (especially in the lower registers and with respect to bass impact) between putting on the X2s "cold" vs. after I've had them one for about 5 minutes.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #996 of 15,268
  Are these any good for critical listening (production/mastering)?

You'll want something more neutral and analytic, such as the Beats Pro
wink.gif
 or the Q701/K7XX/K6XX.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #998 of 15,268

Amazon estimated delivery is tomorrow for me, but seeing that it hasn't even been shipped or any tracking provided, mine will be delayed.

D:

When did you place the order on Amazon? I placed mine Oct. 3rd.

Received mine 5 hours ago. Time flew. First impressions. Less bass than X1 which was to be expected. Midrange is clearer with a nice midbass too. Highs are similar to HD600's being clear and somewhat smooth. I do barely notice the grainy sound but only if I focus on listening for it. I see how Tyll would knock off the HD600's off the wall for these. So similar for less money and better build quality imo. Only downside is the X2's are a bit heavier, but I have yet to notice it with 5 hours in so far. No adjustment like I had to move the X1's occasionally. Clamp force is just a tad bit tighter than the X1's and far less painful than the HD600's. If you're one to find the X1's too bass heavy. The X2's should be perfect if you liked the other sound signatures of the X1's.

Vocals are nice on these. Gaming is spectacular! Make a noise, I dare you. :)

Thanks for the concise first impressions, this is what I'm expecting coming from the X1 that I sold recently.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #1,000 of 15,268
From Tyll Hertsens blog, he mentioned that the X2 that the Phillips Fidelio X2 pair poorly with amps due to their low impedence of 35 ohm. Does this mean the X2 would pair nicely with mobile players and phones and the like? Would 32 ohm still be too high for most mobile players and phones and it would still be a better idea to stick to 16 ohm headphones?

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,001 of 15,268
  From Tyll Hertsens blog, he mentioned that the X2 that the Phillips Fidelio X2 pair poorly with amps due to their low impedence of 35 ohm. Does this mean the X2 would pair nicely with mobile players and phones and the like? Would 32 ohm still be too high for most mobile players and phones and it would still be a better idea to stick to 16 ohm headphones?

No, the X2 should pair nicely with an amp, it just can't achieve the same level of improvement as headphones with a higher impedance such as the HD 600/650 can.  32 ohm isn't high at all for mobile players, and most DAP's and smartphones should be able to drive them.  It's when you get into hp's with higher impedance levels, such as the Q701, when you run in to trouble and require an amp. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,002 of 15,268
  No, the X2 should pair nicely with an amp, it just can't achieve the same level of improvement as headphones with a higher impedance, such as the HD 600/650.  32 ohm isn't high at all for mobile players, and most DAP's and smartphones should be able to drive them.  It's when you get into hp's with higher impedance levels such, as the Q701, when you run in to trouble and require an amp. 

Thank you for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,003 of 15,268
Nov 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,004 of 15,268

S/b fine with mobile players. Tyll's comment was with regard to high impedence amps: "The 35 Ohm impedance of the X2 just isn't going to pair well with a 100 Ohm output impedance OTL amp."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back