Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #871 of 15,268
Oct 24, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #872 of 15,268
Got the fidelio x2's last week. Really loving the sound so far, and the improved comfort (owned the x1's for awhile, but had to sell them off as the headband was not large enough for my above-average sized head).

Mine happens to come with the "bass plus" cushion. Have been using the normal pads so far, but earlier just decided to pop on the "bass plus" cushion to try it out. In terms of size and shape they seem to be identical. However, they are made of a noticeably softer memory foam. This actually leads to better comfort on the ears.

Here's the strange thing though: they seem to have less bass? (particularly around the midbass or 100hz region). As a result they actually sound more neutral to my ears @@. Mind you i just put them on, and thought i'd come here to see what's up. Confusing stuff. Maybe later when I have time i'll do an a/b session to see for sure. For now i'm keeping the bass plus cushions on.

edit: switched between the cushions again. my initial impression was false. the bass plus cushions do indeed provide more emphasis on the bass. the standard cushions are more neutral sounding

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #873 of 15,268
Jien23, can You give some impressions against X1? Is the difference huge or rather pretty minor? That`s going to be from memory though but still...

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #874 of 15,268
Are these cushions an official Philips product? The packaging doesn't look like it, but I might be wrong

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #876 of 15,268

Yup, i'm pretty sure they are. Weird though that they don't come with any documentation, or any mention of them on the Philips website.

Can I ask where you are as they might not be included for every country.

I am in the UK and wonder if they are included with the X2's

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #877 of 15,268
Still waiting on them to become available online from Hong Kong or somewhere similarly accessible. Some shops there already started but I have yet to see sellers put them online yet.

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #878 of 15,268
  Jien23, can You give some impressions against X1? Is the difference huge or rather pretty minor? That`s going to be from memory though but still...

hey Coil. It's been awhile, i wouldn't feel comfortable giving an in-depth comparison not having both of them with me. However, one thing i can say is that I remember the bass of the X1's being pronounced enough as to render them clearly not neutral to my ears. I don't get that same impression with the X2; it's closer to neutral (definitely still warm though). The comfort is improved a lot if you have a large head. The X1 used to pull itself up and above my ears due to the tension being too tight in the elastic. The X2 i can wear without any manual adjustment to the headband.

Can I ask where you are as they might not be included for every country.

I am in the UK and wonder if they are included with the X2's

bought them in hong kong.

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #880 of 15,268

Yup, i'm pretty sure they are. Weird though that they don't come with any documentation, or any mention of them on the Philips website.

Makes sense for Philips on doing different versions of cushions, now that they're replaceable. Still, it's strange that the packaging is so plain. Maybe a prototype or prerelease box.

Initially I thought about a chinese factory that copied the design with slightly different materials, but as a graphic designer I see fair too much attention in the font and design used on the cushion's internal graphic (still the box definitely is not official looking)

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #882 of 15,268
Anyway I played with the headband lately, different pressures and vertical position of the cups didn't change the sound to me, the only thing that changes sound is *horizontal* position of the ear inside the cups. If I move the cups toward the back of my head, so my ears are touching the frontal part of the cups on the inside, nearer to the driver, the sound is thinner, with less bass. If I shift the cups toward my face as far as possible, with the back of my ears touching the back inside the ear cup, the sound is bassier, more correct and spatially right.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #883 of 15,268
Does anyone know the OEM for the X2 drivers?

The design of these look very similar to a improved Grado.

Anyone know of any link between Grado and these?

The drivers also look near identical.

http://assets.head-fi.org/a/a0/1000x500px-LL-a0f5b695_planets.jpg
http://www.avcesar.com/source/actualites/00/00/38/9C/naissance-des-produits-audio-philips-lingenierie-est-basee-a-louvain-belgique_072116_072116.jpg

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #884 of 15,268
These are definitely philips designed, not OEM

From Tyll's review and other sources it's pretty clear that Philips engineered X2 drivers very carefully with their specs and tests

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #885 of 15,268
  These are definitely philips designed, not OEM

From Tyll's review and other sources it's pretty clear that Philips engineered X2 drivers very carefully with their specs and tests

+1
Here more info how Philips engineered the Fidelio drivers.
http://www.headfonia.com/making-high-quality-headphones-philips-ilab-belgium/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back