Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #12,751 of 15,268
of the 3 x2s i had i kept the second pair wich was overall the better one (it had the better mix of sound and aesthetics). All three sounded pretty much the same but the first one was the one that sounded a bit better. It seemed to have more airy treble and overall sound but it also had the less clamp so it could be because of that.... but anyway, once again it was something that was noticeable but very very subtle and hard to perceive when comparing the 3 pairs (i had the three at the same time).

If later the x2hr appear for around the same 130 euros on amazon i might give it a shot but for now i am more interested in deciding if i should sell my hd600 and getting a hd650 or the new hd660s.... :)
The HD660S’s are on my radar to listen too. I sold my HD650’s because I enjoyed the sound of the original X2’s more. I wonder how the HD660S’s will compare to the X2HR’s and would it be worth owning both? I’m sure the price of the X2HR’s will drop once the newness wears off. But I think however slight the difference may be they do sound better than the original X2’s to my ears especially with the Mojo.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #12,752 of 15,268
of the 3 x2s i had i kept the second pair wich was overall the better one (it had the better mix of sound and aesthetics). All three sounded pretty much the same but the first one was the one that sounded a bit better. It seemed to have more airy treble and overall sound but it also had the less clamp so it could be because of that.... but anyway, once again it was something that was noticeable but very very subtle and hard to perceive when comparing the 3 pairs (i had the three at the same time).

If later the x2hr appear for around the same 130 euros on amazon i might give it a shot but for now i am more interested in deciding if i should sell my hd600 and getting a hd650 or the new hd660s.... :)

We might even find a lot of people are comparing the X2HR with a possibly more original X2 sound to the Gibson X2's that had that sound signature change.
Hard to tell, we'll need time to get enough people buying and using the X2HR.

Looking forward to hearing more about the HD660's, apparently they might replace or come close to the HD700.
Lovely headphone, wish I could hear one. :)

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #12,753 of 15,268
The HD660S’s are on my radar to listen too. I sold my HD650’s because I enjoyed the sound of the original X2’s more. I wonder how the HD660S’s will compare to the X2HR’s and would it be worth owning both? I’m sure the price of the X2HR’s will drop once the newness wears off. But I think however slight the difference may be they do sound better than the original X2’s to my ears especially with the Mojo.
Can you please compare the x2s with the hd650? :) tour 650 were older or were they the newer silver revision?

I havê the hd600, and i like their highs, mids and overall resolution and capacity of showing detail bit i would lie if i did not admite they are a little flat to my ears and lacking in bass since i AM a metal and trance addict. The hd600 do metal well bit on more beatcentric gentes i miss a bit of rumble.

I had been thinking of getting the hd650d for a while but i always postponed because i was affraid they were too Boring and that i would sacrifice the hd600s highs and mids for still not enough bass.

Só fat my favourite sound sigs lies in can like the hd25 and the over ear momentums.

Now that i was set and had the money to get the hd650 the hd660s was announced.... Só now i AM waiting for reviews.... :)

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #12,754 of 15,268
We might even find a lot of people are comparing the X2HR with a possibly more original X2 sound to the Gibson X2's that had that sound signature change.
Hard to tell, we'll need time to get enough people buying and using the X2HR.

Looking forward to hearing more about the HD660's, apparently they might replace or come close to the HD700.
Lovely headphone, wish I could hear one. :)
My x2s say Gibson on the box and headband by the way. All the 3 did if i AM not mistaken.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #12,755 of 15,268
Can you please compare the x2s with the hd650? :) tour 650 were older or were they the newer silver revision?

I havê the hd600, and i like their highs, mids and overall resolution and capacity of showing detail bit i would lie if i did not admite they are a little flat to my ears and lacking in bass since i AM a metal and trance addict. The hd600 do metal well bit on more beatcentric gentes i miss a bit of rumble.

I had been thinking of getting the hd650d for a while but i always postponed because i was affraid they were too Boring and that i would sacrifice the hd600s highs and mids for still not enough bass.

Só fat my favourite sound sigs lies in can like the hd25 and the over ear momentums.

Now that i was set and had the money to get the hd650 the hd660s was announced.... Só now i AM waiting for reviews.... :)

My reply may not be very helpful for reasons I will describe--but I have to comment on my experience w/the HD650 vs my X2s.

The HD650 I heard had been modified by a Head-Fi pal. The mods consisted of sound attenuating materials in earcups to control resonance; and replacement of the original grill of each earcup w/new ones he designed & 3-D printed (~1/8" thick green plastic w/ornate cut-outs). The grills weren't very attractive or "professional" looking, but the sound of these modded HD650s was kind of amazing to me. I had a stock pair of HD600s and my own X2s on hand for comparison. Basically, I concluded that the X2s and modded HD650s, despite their surface similarities (open-back design; comfortable; known to be slightly warm vs "analytical")--sounded almost nothing alike.

The modded HD650s were very calm, flat, and accurate. Zero "Sennheiser veil." No resonance that I could detect (by comparison, the stock HD600 had some of both). The bass sounded better to my ears than the bass others describe for stock HD650s--but still not as good/strong as the X2s. The soundstaging was very interesting: everything very precisely arrayed around/in front of my ears, very stable. Not diffuse imaging at all. The modded HD650s were not at all bright, but they sounded quite accurate and controlled. No dips or peaks. Treble was full of detail, but not bright. Midrange had much more detail than the X2s, but again, not bright/edgy. I concluded that these modded HD650s would make terrific monitoring headphones...also great for music appreciation/study.

But the X2s remain the most relaxing, enveloping, "ear-friendly" sound I've ever heard. I always relax as soon as music starts playing through the X2s. The soundstaging is less precise/more diffuse than the modded HD650s, but pleasurable in its own way. I don't drink, but I imagine the X2s sound is like kicking back on the deck at night, looking at the stars, sipping bourbon.

I will have a chance to hear my Head-Fi pals updated/improved HD650 mod ~January (I offered to review it on Head-Fi, if he could give me a stock HD650 to compare it to--which he'll do). It was a very interesting experience for me: the modded HD650's are not my "typical headphone" (warm, bassy, relaxing)--but they really stand out in my mind/memory. I admired that precise, controlled sound a lot. And I can see why so many people continue to buy the HD650/Massdrop HD6X0 all these years after the initial launch.

I, too, am extremely interested in the HD660. Hope to hear that in Feb.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #12,756 of 15,268

I don’t have the HD650’s any longer to compare them to unfortunately. I had the latest version of the HD650’s. I bought them new in March of this year. When I did have HD650’s I found the sound of them to laid back for my taste. I enjoyed the sound of the original X2’s much, much more. I wonder if the improvements in the HD660’s will add more energy to them? That’ll be the way I’ll I can see them replacing my X2HR’s.

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #12,757 of 15,268
I got my X2HR's this morning, they arrived a day late.

Currently burning them in, final verdict will be after 150 hours which is my common routine "just in case".

So far my impressions are much like @Slim1970.

The first impression of the X2HR sounds better rounded and defined in the sub-bass area and definitely more treble, so much so that it stood out right away compared to the original X2 that I owned.
I need time to adjust to the sound because I've been using my speakers and KZ-5 IEM's for quite a bit now, so I'm not used to all the detail being spread out rather than inside my head.

No quality issues, channel imbalance is non existent, all headphone tests passed very well.

Apologies on getting ****ty earlier, I completely understand the caution everyone is taking towards the X2HR's, I was the same and bought them before I even read and saw things about slight sound changes.
No idea if it is the pads, or slight revisions to the internals, but regardless these headphones hit me differently than my X2's did and I've re-created the environment I was listening to my X2's on to be sure.

@Slim1970 - thanks for the update as I thought I might be going crazy or be a victim of placebo. I like to think I'm quite an analytical person and can differentiate between these things.

ALSO: My box says Gibson on the bottom which is normal, but my headphones say Gibson under the headband, and somebody else a few months ago posted here stating his said WOOX under the headband, so perhaps multiple variants again.

Just to be clear: do you have them both now to do A/B comparison or do you compare them from memory?

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #12,759 of 15,268
Unfortunately I am comparing from memory. I went from X2's to M1060's to the current X2HR.
Choose to take onboard my words as you wish. :)

Thanks for clarifying and I will.

I just read your other post as well and for the record I don't think it's Head-fi that has a attitude and/or mentality problem, that was a really unfriendly post. No wonder that you're not finding people being very friendly to you around here.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #12,762 of 15,268
MEIYI 3.5mm Jack Cabo De Áudio Aux Macho para Macho Car Aux Banhado A Ouro cabo de Cabo Auxiliar para o Carro/iPhones/Media Players
http://s.aliexpress.com/MnyqqIJF
(from AliExpress Android)

I bought this one and i AM happy. Its a cloth cable and it feels exactly like the original. Only problema is the ends are painted in gold and i wanted them to be silver to match. But screw it.... 1 euro and it feels just like the original but in 1.5m :)

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #12,763 of 15,268
MEIYI 3.5mm Jack Cabo De Áudio Aux Macho para Macho Car Aux Banhado A Ouro cabo de Cabo Auxiliar para o Carro/iPhones/Media Players
http://s.aliexpress.com/MnyqqIJF

I bought this one and i AM happy. Its a cloth cable and it feels exactly like the original. Only problema is the ends are painted in gold and i wanted them to be silver to match. But screw it.... 1 euro and it feels just like the original but in 1.5m :)
Thank you! Ordering one right away. :)

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #12,764 of 15,268
Thank you! Ordering one right away. :)

:wink:

There was also this one wich i also bought..

Baseus 3.5mm Jack Cabo De Áudio Banhado A Ouro Jack 3.5mm Macho para Pano Masculino Áudio Aux Cabo Para Carro iPhone Fone De Ouvido Batidas falante
http://s.aliexpress.com/bMRniEJr

It costs 2 euros and Matches the x2 better due to the silver endings (and the cable is really black while on the meiyi its a very dark brown) but its a stiffer type of cloth. Almost like, plastic or nylon made só it doesnt quite feel like the original and its a bit more prone to microphonics. Not bad but not as good as the meyi despiste being a better match in terms of aesthetics.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #12,765 of 15,268
All the sound you need, what a great pairing! So much detail and what a bargain for enthusiast who want to enjoy music on a budget!

X2HR1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back