Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #12,271 of 15,268
My X2's arrived today, bought from Amazon on prime day for £129. Haven't unboxed them yet

I have a order of a pair pending. I also made the order on amazon prime day and i havê until Sunday to decide if i want to procede with the purchase or not. That is why i was asking about them.... :)

For 139 euros it is tempting. Specially when it less than half of the hd650....

So guys who had the hd25 and m50x.... How do the x2s compare? Rage against the machine, royal blood, trancey and proguy stuff from anjunabeats and stuff like that.... Does it sound good on the x2s?

Cheers....

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #12,272 of 15,268
I do not have any of them, I can say x2s are beyond those mid-or-lowfi phones.
Actually x2s are comparable to much higher level of them like He-400s, 500s, nighthawk, or Sony mdr z7s.

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #12,273 of 15,268
Cheers, I tried it but with a philips scredriver as I could just barely nudge one of the edges into the flathead part of most of the bolts and twist them fairly tight. They came undone again a day after of heavy usage so I gave up. Called the previous owner, got the receipt, turns out they're just 7 months old and he just never bothered with it so I'm sending them in under warranty for RMA.

Fingers crossed I get a proper or at least repaired pair this time.

So to continue the story of my used X2's with loose bolts which I tried to repair only to have them come loose again and finally send them in for RMA: I am getting a full refund (more than I paid for them used) since the store no longer carry the original X2's with the HR's coming in soon - They couldn't do anything else for me. Very disappointed. X2HR's are literally twice the retail price where I live so no X2's for me... If I try again I'll be on my 4th set... Losing faith, maybe I should try the K712 Pro or HD600 instead.

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #12,274 of 15,268
I got my fair of Fidelio X2s in yesterday. They're everything I wanted in a headphone. Big, comfortable, open back, good sound, and low impedance. Really, I don't know how these didn't get more press. I really like these a lot.

The only thing I don't like are those slightly sizzly highs (it's only on songs with bad mastering). I was wondering if using something like open cell foam would tame those highs just a bit without affecting the rest of the music too much. Has anyone tried that?

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #12,277 of 15,268
Also got these in the prime sale, only had a 15 minute listen yesterday but they sound great.

Soundstage is brilliant and they're very clear.

I do wonder if they might be slightly imbalanced - or it may be a placebo.

I do agree with the guy above who says the highs can be a bit harsh, but see if this calms down with a burn in.

The pads aren't glued and I can't see WOOX written anywhere, Gibson all over the box.

All in all, think I'm fairly happy with them.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #12,278 of 15,268
I got mine in the prime sale too

I too am immensely impressed - I thought mine were slightly imbalanced - right was slightly louder - but the when I wore the headphones the other way round the left seemed louder so probably my ears ! Might be placebo after reading the forums threads about it - certainly nowhere near the magnitude of 3dB or anything though - if it is we're talking 0.25-0.5dB max.

my pads aren't glued either - and no WOOX

Gibson on box and on the band

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #12,279 of 15,268
Hey guys, been watching these headphones for a while and took the plunge on prime day as it was to good a deal to miss!, however just wondering if anyone has found/ done a mod to tighten the bass up a notch or too. Slightly too squishy currently for me bass is there but seems just tad loose if that makes sense. Would leatherette pads fix this? Is even pos to get leatherette pads for these?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Daniel

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #12,280 of 15,268
Hey guys, been watching these headphones for a while and took the plunge on prime day as it was to good a deal to miss!, however just wondering if anyone has found/ done a mod to tighten the bass up a notch or too. Slightly too squishy currently for me bass is there but seems just tad loose if that makes sense. Would leatherette pads fix this? Is even pos to get leatherette pads for these?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Daniel

I use HM5 pads from Brainwavz to clean up the bass. It's tight and impactful. Also, as a bonus side effect, it adds a bit of distance between the driver and my ears making the sound stage even more enjoyable.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #12,281 of 15,268
I use HM5 pads from Brainwavz to clean up the bass. It's tight and impactful. Also, as a bonus side effect, it adds a bit of distance between the driver and my ears making the sound stage even more enjoyable.

Wow that is awesome, is it any particular one or just their generic pads. I takeit you cut the original up to use the base plate?

Thanks

Daniel

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #12,283 of 15,268
Good to know the HM5 pads fit, I'm happy enough with the velour ones for now
Well i just made some custom inserts which is a good middle ground. got the velour pads but the punchy sound.. crap me man it really transforms the sound, bring the vocals forward more and the bass has a better punch. makes them really great headphones!! Think i might just pick up some HM5 pads at some point but this simple work around works.

Cheers

Daniel

sy0lMMN

http://imgur.com/sy0lMMN

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #12,284 of 15,268
Wow that is awesome, is it any particular one or just their generic pads. I takeit you cut the original up to use the base plate?

Thanks

Daniel

Nope, I just removed the stocks and saved those, stretched the HM5 pads around the driver housing itself, and cut a hole for the 3.5mm jack. See pics below.

20170113_224154.jpg 20170113_223853.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back