Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 7, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #12,016 of 15,268

Yeah, you should pick up the X2. I mean, many people have said they don't like its velour pads, cause it's pretty itchy, especially if you have a beard or a sensitive skin. I have both and it took some time to get used to it, but by now I don't really mind anymore. And I never had a problem with the head strap not "breathing".

One could argue that the X2HR is a questionable attempt to rebrand an already existing headphone at MSRP. They never mentioned it fixing any of the QC issues with the original one, such as the frequently reported driver imbalance. If, and only if that stuff is getting fixed would I even consider getting the new one.

Hmm, I dont have a beard but I do have some sensitive skin, but hopefully its just about getting used to it? Guess I'll have to find out. Bit worried though about what "freshmind" wrote few posts up about his ZXR. I have a ZXR myself, although I never had issues with my 32ohm Aurvana Live! 2. Kinda just hoping he forgot to set the low ohm setting, since it has both a 32/300ohm and a 600ohm setting.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #12,017 of 15,268
  Hmm, I dont have a beard but I do have some sensitive skin, but hopefully its just about getting used to it? Guess I'll have to find out. Bit worried though about what "freshmind" wrote few posts up about his ZXR. I have a ZXR myself, although I never had issues with my 32ohm Aurvana Live! 2. Kinda just hoping he forgot to set the low ohm setting, since it has both a 32/300ohm and a 600ohm setting.

I didn't have any problems (as much as I can hear) , like I said there, I just wanted the best from my headphones. 

So of course I'm using it with normal mode... But still ZXR has 40 ohm output, so I am little paranoid on it. Beacuse everyone says source output impedance should be 1/8 of headphones impedance. So in our cases we want 3-4 ohm max on output impedance. Less is better, they say. So thats why there are sources which have "less than 1 ohm output impedance" features. 

But my friend says ZXR isn't that powerfull to brake X2's frequency response. Yes it has 39.8 ohm measured output impedance but it isn't a 100 ohm output tube amp. 

In any case, I just wonder if the "1/8th" golden ratio is that much important. Thats why I asked if I need to add a resistance to my system, as people used on their sensitive low impedance iems.

To illuminate the casefurther, from NwAvGuy: 
  1. Device Output Impedance – This is tricky because the output impedance of most sources is unknown. But the idea is to follow the “1/8th Rule” described in Output Impedance Explained. If you multiply the output impedance of your source by eight, that’s the lowest impedance headphones you should use with that source. The FiiO E9 amp, for example, has a 10 ohm output impedance. So it should only be used with headphones of 80 ohms or higher if you want to be assured of the best sound quality.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #12,018 of 15,268
  I didn't have any problems (as much as I can hear) , like I said there, I just wanted the best from my headphones. 

So of course I'm using it with normal mode... But still ZXR has 40 ohm output, so I am little paranoid on it. Beacuse everyone says source output impedance should be 1/8 of headphones impedance. So in our cases we want 3-4 ohm max on output impedance. Less is better, they say. So thats why there are sources which have "less than 1 ohm output impedance" features. 

But my friend says ZXR isn't that powerfull to brake X2's frequency response. Yes it has 39.8 ohm measured output impedance but it isn't a 100 ohm output tube amp. 

In any case, I just wonder if the "1/8th" golden ratio is that much important. Thats why I asked if I need to add a resistance to my system, as people used on their sensitive low impedance iems.

To illuminate the casefurther, from NwAvGuy: 
  1. Device Output Impedance – This is tricky because the output impedance of most sources is unknown. But the idea is to follow the “1/8th Rule” described in Output Impedance Explained. If you multiply the output impedance of your source by eight, that’s the lowest impedance headphones you should use with that source. The FiiO E9 amp, for example, has a 10 ohm output impedance. So it should only be used with headphones of 80 ohms or higher if you want to be assured of the best sound quality.

If the ZXR has an output of 40ohm, wouldn't you want 320ohm on the headphones for a 1/8th ratio, and not the 200 you mentioned earlier? Hm, I've no idea what difference it could make. I've always just assumed that the 32ohm setting logically did its best possible sound-wise for low ohm headphones. A more experienced audiophile could probably give an idea of how much (if any) difference there might be. 

I would however love to hear back when/if you get one of those plugs, and tell if you experience a difference.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #12,019 of 15,268
  If the ZXR has an output of 40ohm, wouldn't you want 320ohm on the headphones for a 1/8th ratio, and not the 200 you mentioned earlier? Hm, I've no idea what difference it could make. I've always just assumed that the 32ohm setting logically did its best possible sound-wise for low ohm headphones. A more experienced audiophile could probably give an idea of how much (if any) difference there might be. 

I would however love to hear back when/if you get one of those plugs, and tell if you experience a difference.

Ov yeah, I've miscalculated it :) About it, it is called golden ratio so output being lower is sufficent enough but 1/8 lower is golden ratio. Some headphones do benefit from it, some do not...

Eearbuds (iems) are mostly affected by these scales. So when you add their low power, low impedance, and sensitve nature, these kinds of macro managements become important.

X2's are beafy with 500mw at 30-35 ohm range. So they shouldn't be affected that much, but I will not be sure until I try...

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #12,020 of 15,268
  Ov yeah, I've miscalculated it :) About it, it is called golden ratio so output being lower is sufficent enough but 1/8 lower is golden ratio. Some headphones do benefit from it, some do not...

Eearbuds (iems) are mostly affected by these scales. So when you add their low power, low impedance, and sensitve nature, these kinds of macro managements become important.

X2's are beafy with 500mw at 30-35 ohm range. So they shouldn't be affected that much, but I will not be sure until I try...

Alright, good luck with it. Although you could probably try with a sub-300ohm plug too so you can keep running the 32/300ohm setting. 320ohm is damn close to the 300ohm setting yet very far and between the 600ohm setting.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #12,021 of 15,268
I believe the imbalance is caused by loose ear pads and that's why they glued them afterwards. Mines aren't glued on so there's imbalance sometimes when my left ear pad locking mechanism is loose. I've also tried it with my homemade leather pads and there are no problems at all, I'm actually thinking of replacing pads connectors with magnets this way they would stay secured for sure.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #12,023 of 15,268
So any suggestions on a portable amp or amp/dac that brings the mids on the X2 forward while increasing clarity a bit? So far my options are the Cayin C5, Fiio A5 and Oppo Ha-2Se. The Chord Mojo was an option but price is a tad bit high. I want a amp that gives best bang for the buck and more towards neutral or slightly brighter. If the sound is towards the warmer side i'd want it to have nice treble extension.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #12,024 of 15,268
So any suggestions on a portable amp or amp/dac that brings the mids on the X2 forward while increasing clarity a bit? So far my options are the Cayin C5, Fiio A5 and Oppo Ha-2Se. The Chord Mojo was an option but price is a tad bit high. I want a amp that gives best bang for the buck and more towards neutral or slightly brighter. If the sound is towards the warmer side i'd want it to have nice treble extension.
X2 mids are what they are, not sure if you could find any amp dac that could change that signature, maybe EQ it up a bit might save you from having to buy anything really. Also a good (better) source of music might help. (Lets start the 320kb vs lossless argument ......now). If you like forward mids then maybe a different set of headphones would be option. (You can get the new Sennhieser 598 CS for under $80 if you look hard enough and they sound, forward mids, and compliment the X2s well) and yeah an amp might boost some out of the x2s too, just wanted to throw in an out of the box idea,

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #12,025 of 15,268
EQ is a very good way for a quick fix, I have xonar STX but I like xfi to o2 the best with my x2, then I change different size of pads depending on my mood. Leather pads without the fabric covering the drivers helped somewhat to bring out more clarity to the HP. This might not work for you but my pads are gigantic so I'm loving it.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #12,026 of 15,268
I've decided that i'm going to go for the Oppo Ha2-SE, I think it should pair nicely with the X2... :grin: but now that I might have a little extra money laying around hmmmm might get me self an iem :rolling_eyes:. Has anyone gotten the chance to listen to the Pinnacle P1 or Oriveti New Primacy? Or I may just get the Audeze Sine.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #12,027 of 15,268

Just made two cables for portable use cause the stock one is way too long, interesting enough these sounds brighter. Same cable type diff connectors still more or less same sound, they are signal wires made out of copper and braided :)

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #12,029 of 15,268

Just made two cables for portable use cause the stock one is way too long, interesting enough these sounds brighter. Same cable type diff connectors still more or less same sound, they are signal wires made out of copper braided :)

Nice work!.
Nice, could I sample a set?

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #12,030 of 15,268

Just made two cables for portable use cause the stock one is way too long, interesting enough these sounds brighter. Same cable type diff connectors still more or less same sound, they are signal wires made out of copper braided :)
Nice, could I sample a set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back