Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 5, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #11,566 of 15,268
  Both have excellent bass volume-wise. X00 is clearer, faster, and may extend deeper. X00 isn't *technically* Closed, more like semi-closed..it will leak some sound out.

X2 has the wider Soundstage by a fair margin. Both are very easy to drive, X00 has a much higher Maximum rated power input (read: less worry about blowing them up :p)

The overall sound signature on both is fairly similar. Not a guarantee, but if you like X2 then X00 SHOULD be right up your alley as well! To my ears, X00 ups the game to HD600 levels of overall fidelity.

I am in no way a professional Reviewer, or even a Critical Listener searching for nuanced differences. I'm just a regular dude that throws on my normal playlist and lets it go...so differences I can hear should be great enough that most people won't have to strain to hear it either.

As always, YMMV.

well the best way obv is to hear the cans but thats not always possible so one sometimes has to do heavy research and then take calculated risks

on the most part people are pretty accurate on here. its defo not a cheap hobby and can't make mistakes too often

especially when one relies on online orders. these specific models are not at the local stores for demo
L3000.gif

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #11,567 of 15,268
Hey guys, I originally had the V-MODA M-100 but Im considering returning it as its uncomfortable even with the XL pads...

Im going to buy this sweet headphone for Christmas. But before I buy it, Is there still a QC problem with the X2? And how does this headphone compare to M-100, HE400s and AKG K7XX in terms of comfort, "fun" sounding, and bass?

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #11,568 of 15,268
i haven't tried the HE's or the AKG's but have both the X2 and the M-100. comfort definitely goes to the X2, they're like having pillows on your head. as far as fun and bass its easily the M-100's for me. the X2's have a better soundstage and a tad bit clearer but songs sound more fun on the v-moda.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #11,569 of 15,268
  i haven't tried the HE's or the AKG's but have both the X2 and the M-100. comfort definitely goes to the X2, they're like having pillows on your head. as far as fun and bass its easily the M-100's for me. the X2's have a better soundstage and a tad bit clearer but songs sound more fun on the v-moda.

Hey would you consider X2 to be an upgrade over my M-100? And is the X2 good for songs like Hip Pop, Electronic, EDM and Jazz? Does it works well with movies and video games?

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #11,570 of 15,268
Hey would you consider X2 to be an upgrade over my M-100? And is the X2 good for songs [COLOR=222222]like Hip Pop, Electronic, EDM and Jazz? Does it works well with movies and video games?[/COLOR]

I wouldn't say upgrade. The sound isn't as upfront like the m-100. They sound good with those genres as that's what I dabble into. Edm and hip hop though are much more fun on the v-modas. Pop and jazz sound a bit better on the X2 as they rely more on clarity and space in their sound. They're not similar phones so hard to say which is better. I use my m1's at work n for travel. Open backs strictly at home.
Before I forget. For games the X2's are great!! Especially with bass boost on with the. HA-2. Great space n separation in Overwatch. Can clearly tell where ppl are

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #11,571 of 15,268
Does anybody have comparison between X2 and HE400i? 
Its 50$ more expensive than X2 on amazon right now. I don't own an amp. Is it worth getting the He400i without an amp? How does X2's sound compare to HE400i's without an amp and with an amp?

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #11,572 of 15,268
I had my friend's HE400i a while back and compared it with my X2s. The one thing that stood for me was the soundstage. The X2 had a wider and more spacious soundstage than the HE400i, which sounded more intimate. The X2's had punchier bass, while the HE400i's bass didn't have quite the same punchiness but was more linear and better defined. The HE400i had more detail in the mids and the highs than the X2s, but are pickier than the X2's in terms of amplification.

To me, the HE400i is the better set of cans if you're listening to vocal or acoustic music. The X2s are more of all-rounders and highly enjoyable with all kinds of music, especially EDM or hip hop. They're simply the perfect set of can to watch movies.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #11,574 of 15,268
  Hey guys, I originally had the V-MODA M-100 but Im considering returning it as its uncomfortable even with the XL pads...

Im going to buy this sweet headphone for Christmas. But before I buy it, Is there still a QC problem with the X2? And how does this headphone compare to M-100, HE400s and AKG K7XX in terms of comfort, "fun" sounding, and bass?

I don't have the X2's but I'd spent some time researching them as my next pair of headphones from the M100 for the same discomfort reasons you cited. My understanding is that the sonic changes are overblown between the woox and gibson pads (their official statement said they tested the sound with the glued pads and found no difference, for what it's worth). There were issues, however, when people tried to remove the glued on pads. I found several posts detailing how Phillips replaced the pads for free after people accidentally damaged them during removal, so I wouldn't let the QC drama deter you from getting a pair. They're widely considered one of the most comfortable cans out there, and are the closest you'll get to the fun sound of the M100 with an open pair in the sub-$300 range.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #11,575 of 15,268
I had my friend's HE400i a while back and compared it with my X2s. The one thing that stood for me was the soundstage. The X2 had a wider and more spacious soundstage than the HE400i, which sounded more intimate. The X2's had punchier bass, while the HE400i's bass didn't have quite the same punchiness but was more linear and better defined. The HE400i had more detail in the mids and the highs than the X2s, but are pickier than the X2's in terms of amplification.

To me, the HE400i is the better set of cans if you're listening to vocal or acoustic music. The X2s are more of all-rounders and highly enjoyable with all kinds of music, especially EDM or hip hop. They're simply the perfect set of can to watch movies.

I concur with your description, spot on with my experience as well.

The HE400i is probably "technically better" but I enjoy them both equally much. In my opinion they complement each other perfectly.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #11,577 of 15,268
Don't get me wrong they sound great, but anyone else find the highs just  slightly sibiliant? Just a bit too much sharpness to the highs which gives a slightly unrelaxed feeling to the music? Things like claps, rim hits, cymbals. Lows and mid sound lush and lovely, just those highs need reigning in, or need the edge taking off.

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #11,578 of 15,268
Ooh, someone linked to the blog which must not be named! I thought things were going to get exciting for a moment there :)

It was absolutely ages ago that all that stuff kicked off, my understanding is that it was only against rules to bring it up again, basically - that because discussions of his ban were so tediously drawn-out and fraught, and divided the community every time, the topic became a troll topic by default and wasn't allowed. The blog itself is still a useful resource. Heck, people still recommend the O2 amp and amp/DAC combo, which are his handiwork (I use an O2 myself).

As it happens I only discovered this forum through all the O2 drama. I was shopping for a cheap amp and got sucked in reading about it all from start to end.

On that note, would the O2 pair okay with the X2s? Since I own an O2 and my next purchase would be a pair of X2s, once price, quality control and other various issues settle down.

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #11,579 of 15,268
  Ooh, someone linked to the blog which must not be named! I thought things were going to get exciting for a moment there :)

It was absolutely ages ago that all that stuff kicked off, my understanding is that it was only against rules to bring it up again, basically - that because discussions of his ban were so tediously drawn-out and fraught, and divided the community every time, the topic became a troll topic by default and wasn't allowed. The blog itself is still a useful resource. Heck, people still recommend the O2 amp and amp/DAC combo, which are his handiwork (I use an O2 myself).

As it happens I only discovered this forum through all the O2 drama. I was shopping for a cheap amp and got sucked in reading about it all from start to end.

On that note, would the O2 pair okay with the X2s? Since I own an O2 and my next purchase would be a pair of X2s, once price, quality control and other various issues settle down.

The O2 is serious overkill for the X2.  Sounds great, but on low gain I can't go past 10 o'clock on the volume knob.  Of course that would vary depending on your high and low gain settings in the O2.  Mine is the standard 2.5x and 6.5x.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #11,580 of 15,268
You know, rather than a good amp, I feel that a good dac stage is more important for these X2's.  They run pretty well on the smell of an oily rag but give them a good dac - they sing.  My Nuforce icon hdp has (supposedly) a good dac in it and I think that is making the most difference.  Yes, more power helps, but I think the dac is the key IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back