Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 23, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #10,051 of 15,268
  The hex nuts/screws attaching the head band to the left ear cup have come loose.  The left speaker unit wobbles on the head band.  VERY disappointing to say the least.  I barely have a couple weeks left of warranty, so Philips said they would send me a check for the price of the phones and I will have to ship these back to them. 
They are out of stock of these phones, that's why they are just refunding me.  I loved these head phones, but to be honest, I don't think I want another pair because I cannot trust those screws.  I think that is a terrible way to secure the speakers and I am confident they will come loose again on a new pair.  I tried removing the plastic screw looking things on the speakers to access the small head band screws, but those plastic screws do not come out.  They stripped and were easily damaged from a screw driver, so Philips makes sure you cannot disassemble these things for some really odd reason. 
Oh well.  They said my check will take 3 or 4 weeks to get to me!  Any ideas for a good replacement for these headphones?  I'm afraid I no longer trust their build quality to not fall apart.  Very much a shame.

How much is the check for, full retail? The below is pretty nice for bass heads with good detail.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779750/sony-h-ear-on-mdr-100aap-199-hi-res-audio-over-ear-headphones

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #10,052 of 15,268
my x2 on the way 
dt880smile.png

i found three dac/amp 

Fiio e17 - used like a new from amazon 119$

sound blaster e5 - new 165$​

Audioengine D1 - new 148$

( optical input for xbox one )
The important thing is movies 
using 90% movies 10% games

music it does not matter , for me good dac good sound

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #10,054 of 15,268
The refund check will be for $330.00 US dollars.  That's including shipping and tax.  I use them for gaming, movies and occasional music.  I use them with a soundblaster ZxR.  Would it be really lame to spend some extra and get the HE 400i's?  They just look cool to me and seem high quality.  Pretty sure I don't need planars to game though and I might not even know the difference, but they are cool still!  I love the X2's so its really a damn shame that I lost trust in them.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #10,055 of 15,268
  The refund check will be for $330.00 US dollars.  That's including shipping and tax.  I use them for gaming, movies and occasional music.  I use them with a soundblaster ZxR.  Would it be really lame to spend some extra and get the HE 400i's?  They just look cool to me and seem high quality.  Pretty sure I don't need planars to game though and I might not even know the difference, but they are cool still!  I love the X2's so its really a damn shame that I lost trust in them.

The 400i's are going to have much less of a soundstage then X2's.  Heck the 560's don't have nearly the soundstage X2's do.

The 400i's aren't going to have as much slam as X2s either.  However they are going to have pretty great sub-bass.  Really nice texture down low.  Now keep in mind I've never heard the 400is.  I'm basing my impressions off of 560's but I've been told they are similar.

Truth be told I found the 560's slightly thin sounding.  But they cover an extremely wide frequency range.  You just hear a lot of detail.  They are not nearly the gaming headphones something like an HD 598 or Fidelio is going to be however.  They are airy but they are not holographic in any way.  They don't image like a decent dynamic does.

I don't know.  Those were my impressions spending a couple weeks with them.  I was a little dissapointed after all the planar hype I've read.  Funny thing though is my Alpha Dogs are planars and while I wouldn't call their soundstage large I would say they image pretty well.  So who knows.  Audio can vary a lot person to person.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #10,056 of 15,268

Not sure I would get a planar as my single headphone. If you're putting money in, I'd rather get a new or used mdr-z7. It's a very moddable can being semi-open, you can stuff the heck out of it or add damping to the ear cups to tighten the bass and the soundstage is to die for. But the 100AAP is similar for a lot less albeit not holographic like then Z7.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #10,059 of 15,268
  Sounds interesting.  My main use is gaming.  I like soundstage and nice bass, so the X2's are really good for that.  But that damn screw issue...

X2 soundstage is good for that range, but it's a few steps down from the Z7. I have both cans btw. I still use my X2's for thumpy stuff when working around the house. I would rather drop those accidentally than drop my modded Z7's! But the X2's are really clunky especially that headband so I find myself using my DT990s for mobility too.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #10,060 of 15,268
Well, it would seem I have been mentally hooked onto the MDRZ7's.  They look amazing and seem perfect for my needs, being good sound stage with good bass and high build quality.  They sell for​ $700 and $500 depending on where I look.  If they are actually $500, these would be a reachable price point after receiving my refund check.  Thanks for mentioning these as I will be paying very close attention.  I just wonder if the ZxR would do them any justice at all or drive them properly.  I do tend to obsess too much over that kind of thing when in the end it doesn't matter for my needs to be quite honest.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #10,061 of 15,268
  Well, it would seem I have been mentally hooked onto the MDRZ7's.  They look amazing and seem perfect for my needs, being good sound stage with good bass and high build quality.  They sell for​ $700 and $500 depending on where I look.  If they are actually $500, these would be a reachable price point after receiving my refund check.  Thanks for mentioning these as I will be paying very close attention.  I just wonder if the ZxR would do them any justice at all or drive them properly.  I do tend to obsess too much over that kind of thing when in the end it doesn't matter for my needs to be quite honest.

I have a ZxR too. It's got enough juice, but you should change your opamps to something better. The stock setup they ship with are pretty colored. There's a couple threads on it, I can dig them up if you want. Btw, buying a used is an easy way to bypass their break-in time. If you can find a good one used that may be an option too. I got my pair on here for 425 used with the kimber kables which are 200 alone, and they were already broken in, bonus.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #10,062 of 15,268

ZxR has plenty of power but you may at some point look at going external with your sound set up.  Internal sound cards are subject to EMI.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #10,064 of 15,268
  EMI is not an issue with the ZxR.

I'm not super familiar with the card but I can't imagine that the shield blocks out all EMI/system noise.  

Unless SBX means that much to you there's no real reason not to go external.  Better DAC/AMP options available at similar or lower prices.  

And truth be told Dolby Headphone is a much better surround set up for headphones.  I've owned a Z and X7.  I'm just not huge on Creative products.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #10,065 of 15,268
  my x2 on the way 
dt880smile.png

i found three dac/amp 

Fiio e17 - used like a new from amazon 119$

sound blaster e5 - new 165$​

Audioengine D1 - new 148$

( optical input for xbox one )
The important thing is movies 
using 90% movies 10% games

music it does not matter , for me good dac good sound

I want to Answer please