Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 13, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #9,331 of 15,268
I kisten mostly to "soft" music, such as classic rock, jazz, blues and classical music. However, I also listen, from time to time, some prog rock and punk rock. Granted, I'm not too much into bass heavy music like EDM or hip-hop, but for the music I like, the 598 has the right amount of bass.

In regards to gaming, of the ones you mentioned I've only played Skyrim. And it sounds fantastic on the 598! I've also played very heavily GTA V and Super Smash Bros., and some 3DS games. All of them beautiful experiences with my black 598s, particularly Zelda and Skyrim, they just can't be better.

HD650 did great for Skyrim back when I was playing it on the PC Bootcamp install. The HE-500 weren't comfortable enough at the time for that, but the Focus Pads have changed the comfort issues except for the weight.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #9,332 of 15,268
Why? The glued ones are the new ones and there is zero difference if theyre both from WOOX or Gibson. People just regering because of glued pads that makes literally no difference unless from the glue itself.

Maybe because they're advertised as replaceable and these are borderline that? on 2 pairs taking the pads of damaged them and there was bits of glue in between the pad and driver, I was able to take those bits off but people who haven't removed their pads might not realise. If you can replace them for a brand new normal pair, why not

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #9,334 of 15,268

Just took them off for a moment to snap a quick photo 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it's perfectly fair to wait/return/complain, completely your choice - but we should be careful about making generalisations on something (in the grand scheme of things) we have a very narrow view of.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #9,336 of 15,268

HD650 did great for Skyrim back when I was playing it on the PC Bootcamp install. The HE-500 weren't comfortable enough at the time for that, but the Focus Pads have changed the comfort issues except for the weight.

Look for the Beyerdynamic button on headband pad on Amazon. It made the 500 (and now my 6) wearable for long sessions, especially after I added the focus pads. So if you get the headband pad you should be all set.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #9,337 of 15,268
Just saw that the place where i bought my X2's wont be getting any new in stock until the 20th of March :/ Welp, that sucks. And Philips told me they did not do replacements and that i should return it to the store. Guess i will just be returning them for money back then and maybe hold off until their new stock arrives. Maybe those will be of those new batches without glue :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #9,338 of 15,268

Look for the Beyerdynamic button on headband pad on Amazon. It made the 500 (and now my 6) wearable for long sessions, especially after I added the focus pads. So if you get the headband pad you should be all set.

I used temorary glue to put on a beefy headband pad. That problem is solved. I have such a small head that the button-ons don't really work.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #9,339 of 15,268
Is that the hifiman focus pads? I'd be looking to try a pair on the 880's & t1's

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #9,340 of 15,268
Hi all.
I recently purchased the X2's but have some issues I hope someone can shed light on.

The X2 (Gibson) pair that I have are cosmetically perfect with glued pads, so no issues on that regard. Sonically though... My only comparison so far has been to the 598SE, Fidelio L2 and 668B. The biggest (concerning) difference I've experienced with my X2's is that it sounds vastly darker than all of them. From around 3khz and all the way to the top, they sound very muddy, by very I mean as if I were to alter the EQ by dragging the parameters down quite a bit, almost to the point of emulating an old radio. It's portable semi-closed brother, the L2's, sound immensely clearer when compared, which I have a tough time to fathom. Same with the 598's.

Now I've followed this thread these past several days, gathering as many impressions as possible. I've noticed the word muddy being used and that the earpads being a possible culprit. I've seen users praising its frequency range and a great all-around HP which makes me even more confused tbh, especially as I don't have another set of X2's to compare 'em to. The store I ordered from in Finland will get their next batch in February and I have until tomorrow to return them. Also noticed Philips' official forum-post regarding gluegate. Not sure what to do. Maybe I'll just wait until the new supposedly non-glued variants start poring in with reviews...

Hopefully someone can measure several X2's with real equipment.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #9,341 of 15,268
  Hi all.
I recently purchased the X2's but have some issues I hope someone can shed light on.

The X2 (Gibson) pair that I have are cosmetically perfect with glued pads, so no issues on that regard. Sonically though... My only comparison so far has been to the 598SE, Fidelio L2 and 668B. The biggest (concerning) difference I've experienced with my X2's is that it sounds vastly darker than all of them. From around 3khz and all the way to the top, they sound very muddy, by very I mean as if I were to alter the EQ by dragging the parameters down quite a bit, almost to the point of emulating an old radio. It's portable semi-closed brother, the L2's sound immensely clearer when compared, which I have a tough time to fathom. Same with the 598's.

Now I've followed this thread these past several days, gathering as many impressions as possible. I've noticed the word muddy being used and that the earpads being a possible culprit. I've seen users praising its frequency range and a great all-around HP which makes me even more confused tbh, especially as I don't have another set of X2's to compare 'em to. The store I ordered from in Finland will get their next batch in February and I have until tomorrow to return them. Also noticed Philips' official forum-post regarding gluegate. Maybe I'll just wait until the new supposedly non-glued variants start poring in with reviews...

Hopefully someone can measure several X2's with real equipment.

I'd point you towards the latest page of the 'defects' thread.  I give my impressions on my muddy sounding Gibson pair there.

I received my refund from Markantalo today for the defective sounding pair.  Not sure which shop you bought them from.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #9,342 of 15,268

Just took them off for a moment to snap a quick photo :)  .

I think it's perfectly fair to wait/return/complain, completely your choice - but we should be careful about making generalisations on something (in the grand scheme of things) we have a very narrow view of.

That pic looks like a professional shot. Everything looks so gorgeous! Congratulations. I hope I have my own set one day...

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #9,343 of 15,268

I'd point you towards the latest page of the 'defects' thread.  I give my impressions on my muddy sounding Gibson pair there.

I received my refund from Markantalo today for the defective sounding pair.  Not sure which shop you bought them from.

I bought mine from Markantalo as well and I read your post. Your impression coincides with my pair that I received. It's a shame since I only paid 225 euros, which is a good bargain IMO; makes me hesitant of asking for a refund instead of waiting for a replacement.

Was the refund troublesome btw?

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #9,345 of 15,268

I bought mine from Markantalo as well and I read your post. Your impression coincides with my pair that I received. It's a shame since I only paid 225 euros, which is a good bargain IMO; makes me hesitant of asking for a refund instead of waiting for a replacement.

Was the refund troublesome btw?

Same price as me.. Sunday discount? Hehe.  Knowing that Markantalo have sent at least one poor sounding pair out, I would get a refund.  They'll probably be around €200 at some point this year.

The refund went smoothly once I got the correct code for sending it back via Matkahuolto.  Took 2 weeks to come through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back