Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 22, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #8,270 of 15,268
Nothing is absolute in this hobby. For me X2 is better than HD800. For some it's barely better than HD598. Go figure. We're all different.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #8,271 of 15,268
  Pink Floyd's The Wall is exceptional on the X2. You can pick out all the little details and there's a lot of low end on this album that the X2 kicks butt with.

I hope you're talking about the James Guthrie Remastered 2011 version.  Not the org 1979 release I hope.  If not, you need it! 

It's awesome sounding. I have both versions and the remaster is so much better.  It really takes you on a journey, doesn't it?.  I listen to it, start to finish, the whole double album and want more. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #8,272 of 15,268
  I hope you're talking about the James Guthrie Remastered 2011 version.  Not the org 1979 release I hope.  If not, you need it! 

Nope. The only version to have is original de-emphasized Columbia C2K 36183, absolutely no remasters for me, thank you.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #8,273 of 15,268
  I might be returning my X2 after all.  The glue I'm fine with.  They sound just like my old X2s and I don't have the ring issue.  However the underside of the leather headband is peeling off a little.  I don't recall there ever being a separate strip under the leather headband, can anyone with an older model confirm or deny?

Yes, I have an older pair, July, and my headband has the separate strip in the middle too.  Where the one rolls over the rods and tucks under the flat strip, mine is not fitting right.  Some parts are good, looks good, but other places it's not tucked under and doesn't fit right.  It's a non issue with me.  It doesn't detract from they're awesomeness.
L3000.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #8,275 of 15,268
  By that, do you mean that you're against a remaster?

I'm against the remasters in general (well, most of them), unless it's something from Doug Sax or Steve Hoffman (DCC)...
And with regards to Pink Floyd, it's widely believed that the original CD pressings are superior to anything that came after.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #8,276 of 15,268

I'm against the remasters in general (well, most of them), unless it's something from Doug Sax or Steve Hoffman (DCC)...
And with regards to Pink Floyd, it's widely believed that that original CD presses are superior to anything that came after.

Wow... that's not what I'm hearing.  Ok, lets get back on topic.  Thanks

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #8,277 of 15,268
Wow... that's not what I'm hearing.  Ok, lets get back on topic.  Thanks

Well, if you prefer the remasters - who am I to judge? :) But through the years I've listened to most if not all versions (original, MFSL, later remasters, vinyl rips), and I agree that the first pressings are indeed the best sounding. But as with everything in this hobby - it is highly subjective.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #8,278 of 15,268
  I must have gotten one of those.  It seems dark and boomy to me.  Also enclosed sounding like a small enclosed stage around your head where the sound is bouncing off the wall with a hall like sound making you cringe.  I thought I'd finally try them out with games but I still didn't like em.  So much so that I took them off my head and packed it back up in the box, lol.  Gonna return them.

I don't know how many hours you have on them but mine were dark and boomy when I first got them.  I got mine from the warehouse back in July and I'm thinking that's why they were returned. 

I first listened to about an hours worth of selected tracks that I use for testing and was.. kinda disappointed.  It was time for bed so I set the X2s up to play FM radio for the night and most of the next day.  When I put them back on, there was a big difference.  They're exceptional now.  I'm glad whoever it was returned them. lol

So, put some hours on them if you haven't.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #8,279 of 15,268
Yes, I have an older pair, July, and my headband has the separate strip in the middle too.  Where the one rolls over the rods and tucks under the flat strip, mine is not fitting right.  Some parts are good, looks good, but other places it's not tucked under and doesn't fit right.  It's a non issue with me.  It doesn't detract from they're awesomeness. :L3000:

I checked, there is a strip. Tight fit on mine through.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #8,280 of 15,268
  Pink Floyd's The Wall is exceptional on the X2. You can pick out all the little details and there's a lot of low end on this album that the X2 kicks butt with.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's been a while since I've listened to The Wall.  And it's the first time with the Fidelio X2's.  Very expansive presentation, indeed!  Love these hps.  Glad you've now got a better pair of X2's.  Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back