Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #631 of 15,268

Aune X1 pro should be good match for X2 like with X1 but it seems that X1/X2 benefit most paired with tube buffered dac or tube amp.
But 15h playtime out of laptop really is not something to draw conclusions from.

Do you know what is the Aune X1 pro output impedance, can't find it anywhere?

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #632 of 15,268

Do you know what is the Aune X1 pro output impedance, can't find it anywhere?

Specs say they're compatible with headphones with impedance of 32-600 ohms... which theoretically means very slightly too high for the 30 ohm X2. But I'm sure it'll sound fine.

Aune X1 pro should be good match for X2 like with X1 but it seems that X1/X2 benefit most paired with tube buffered dac or tube amp.
But 15h playtime out of laptop really is not something to draw conclusions from.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Firstly, tube amps generally tend to have higher output impedance than solid state amps, and the X2 is a very low impedance headphone that wouldn't pair well with higher impedance amps. Secondly, the X2's mids seem to be somewhat on the warmer side, at least according to Tyll's measurements and comments. I would say that on paper, it should pair best with a low impedance SS amp that is very neutral so it doesn't add any warmth to the already warm mids.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #633 of 15,268
  Specs say they're compatible with headphones with impedance of 32-600 ohms... which theoretically means very slightly too high for the 30 ohm X2. But I'm sure it'll sound fine.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Firstly, tube amps generally tend to have higher output impedance than solid state amps, and the X2 is a very low impedance headphone that wouldn't pair well with higher impedance amps. Secondly, the X2's mids seem to be somewhat on the warmer side, at least according to Tyll's measurements and comments. I would say that on paper, it should pair best with a low impedance SS amp that is very neutral so it doesn't add any warmth to the already warm mids.

I do respect all the way to the above-mentioned knowledge/information.

...but

In my situation X2 pairs better with my tube amp DV336SE (front Psvane CV181 TII, rear Zaerix 6AS7G tube) compared to my ShelbrookAudio SS amp (buffered with 2 BurrBrown OPA634P's).

PS: I have no chance to measure/compare their output impedance.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #634 of 15,268

I do respect all the way to the above-mentioned knowledge/information.

...but

In my situation X2 pairs better with my tube amp DV336SE (front Psvane CV181 TII, rear Zaerix 6AS7G tube) compared to my ShelbrookAudio SS amp (buffered with 2 BurrBrown OPA634P's).

PS: I have no chance to measure/compare their output impedance.

I respect that. I have no experience with (or even heard of) the Shelbrook, but the DV is an excellent amp. Are the OPA634's class A biased?

It also comes down to personal preference - I like my mids just slightly warmer than neutral. I don't like overly warm/thick gear.

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #635 of 15,268
  I respect that. I have no experience with (or even heard of) the Shelbrook, but the DV is an excellent amp. Are the OPA634's class A biased?

It also comes down to personal preference - I like my mids just slightly warmer than neutral. I don't like overly warm/thick gear.

Seller said they were class A. As always, personal preferences says the last words...

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #636 of 15,268
  I would say that on paper, it should pair best with a low impedance SS amp that is very neutral so it doesn't add any warmth to the already warm mids.

Hmmm, I didn`t notice Tyll mentioning X2 mids section as "already warm". He said it has terrific balance between 60Hz and 3.5kHz and vocals sound remarkably neutral. Little mids "boost", treble "smoothing" and bass control is what You should get out of tube amping (depends on tubes also ofc). But You may be right since I haven`t heard X2 myself.

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #637 of 15,268

Seller said they were class A. As always, personal preferences says the last words...

Yeah, I find class A biasing too warm for my tastes. I prefer a more neutral sound from amps.

Hmmm, I didn`t notice Tyll mentioning X2 mids section as "already warm". He said it has terrific balance between 60Hz and 3.5kHz and vocals sound remarkably neutral. Little mids "boost", treble "smoothing" and bass control is what You should get out of tube amping (depends on tubes also ofc). But You may be right since I haven`t heard X2 myself.

He said that the mids sound about the same as HD600, and HD600 mids are slightly warmer than neutral, which is just right IMO.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #639 of 15,268
  Hey friends!

while doing research on Aune X1 i read all your(benbenkr and CoiL) posts, how are your products holding? Still happy with it?

I have one more question for anyone with knowledge.
Would damping factors of 3 and 15 be noticeably different for Philips X2(30ohm)?
I am really leaning towards 10ohms amp and if damping factor of 3, compared to 15, won't have any significance that's great.

I have a T1, and quite honestly the amp section leaves a lot to be desired.  brittle and harsh and bright in all the wrong places.  The DAC is great though and highly recommended.  Great imaging, beg soundstage and very 3 dimensional sound.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #640 of 15,268
Pre-ordered the x2! I needed a new headphone for gaming and can't get my summit can for a while.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #641 of 15,268
I just made a play for the summit, but found the highs too peaky and the cans too heavy... If I had $1000 to waste I don't really know what I would buy. I think these X2s may be a good compromise. 

That being said, just preordered the X2s, I am really hoping sibilance won't be an issue. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #644 of 15,268
Lol, i should have been more specific. My experiences with the lcd2f and he500 were what i was referring to. They both have peaky treble and the bass is too neutral. Looking at the more affordable summit fi cans, many seem to share this trait and the oppos have some mixed feelings. I think i need something that follows the harman curve a bit more and is still an open can. At least thats what I'm hoping the x2 is.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #645 of 15,268
Well sony and philips never tune highs to exaggeration in thier recent headphones so you are good there, and the X2 are bass type cans (but not mush) so you are also good there. now the amp is also tuned, this is where most cans tuning get wacked, if only amps were all reference neutral and the sound tuning where left to the cans. Why not try warm sounding amps for your he500 and lcd2f instead of buying a new headphone?

Well summit fi or whatever the trend seems to be bright sound which is emphasizing the treble and use western classical music for test and they also chuck down the idea that classical western music is hi-fi, apple anyone?. This is really baised in my opinion, they are more like chucking down the idea that classical music and gear with bright tuning is hi end. So what if the listener isn't of western culture a person which doesn't give a damn about Mozzart of whatever and loves listening to other cultural or asian musical instruments and music which tend to be warm/dark and some really unique sounding compared to western standards of how their instruments sound. You gotta love marketing and all the false advertising that comes with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back