Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 15, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,251 of 15,268
I think Fidelio X3 release is more likely, lol. This time with smooth highs. :p

You must be really sensitive to harsh highs to have a problem with the treble on the X2's IMHO .

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #5,252 of 15,268
You must be really sensitive to harsh highs to have a problem with the treble on the X2's IMHO .

I don't have a problem with it, not really. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be smoother. Try listening to "I Turn to You (Hex Hector Radio Mix)", you'll hear what I mean. It's not harsh, no, but not very smooth either. Grainy might be the right word. Grain-free X2s would be the perfect headphones.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #5,253 of 15,268
I don't have a problem with it, not really. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be smoother. Try listening to "I Turn to You (Hex Hector Radio Mix)", you'll hear what I mean. It's not harsh, no, but not very smooth either. Grainy might be the right word. Grain-free X2s would be the perfect headphones.

I personally don't like when the highs get too smooth but as always YMMV....

Edit :I'm also not a person to look around for music that may or may not sound bad on my headphones /IEM's . As long as it sounds good with the music I like I'm happy . I'd guess I'm just easy to please :wink:

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #5,254 of 15,268
I personally don't like when the highs get too smooth but as always YMMV....

Edit :I'm also not a person to look around for music that may or may not sound bad on my headphones /IEM's . As long as it sounds good with the music I like I'm happy . I'd guess I'm just easy to please
wink.gif

I love Fidelio X2, really. I'm just sensitive to treble as you said. Also I Turn to You is one my favourite dance tracks so I listen to it a lot. 
L3000.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #5,255 of 15,268
I have had a pair of Fidelios X2 for two days now. I first heard X2 a couple of months ago and liked the sound. During the last two days I critically listened to these headphones and compared them directly to my HD600 (which is my kind of reference). I am pleased with some aspects of the X2 sound but there are some things that bother me. First, I think that bass gets overpowering on some music bloating the lower mids and making negative impact on vocals. Second, the treble is a bit grainy. The more I listen and compare to HD600 the more I feel like the treble of X2 is kind of artificial. Anyone else who has similar experience?

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #5,256 of 15,268
  I have had a pair of Fidelios X2 for two days now. I first heard X2 a couple of months ago and liked the sound. During the last two days I critically listened to these headphones and compared them directly to my HD600 (which is my kind of reference). I am pleased with some aspects of the X2 sound but there are some things that bother me. First, I think that bass gets overpowering on some music bloating the lower mids and making negative impact on vocals. Second, the treble is a bit grainy. The more I listen and compare to HD600 the more I feel like the treble of X2 is kind of artificial. Anyone else who has similar experience?

I do not experience the 2 negatives that you mentioned. I also have HD600, and I prefer X2, for it has better extension on both ends with better sound stage and the sound  is very natural and musical. Probably, the sound is also affected by other factors, e.g. DAC (Anediol D2), HP Amp (Gustard H10), and genre of music played (Mainly Classical Music). I also like my HD600. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,257 of 15,268

What amp are you using?

Not sure what that song is supposed to sound like. But it sounds great. Tidal>Element>X2

Is it just me or do they sound better if you have them far forward on your ears? :basshead:

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #5,258 of 15,268
I've happily had the X1's for a few years now. Just read over the last two months of X2 posts here, and it's great to see so much love for the X2's. Gonna have to get my ears in them one of these days!

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #5,259 of 15,268
I love Fidelio X2, really. I'm just sensitive to treble as you said. Also I Turn to You is one my favourite dance tracks so I listen to it a lot.  :L3000:

We seem to enjoy a very similar sound signature haha

I'm waiting to see if amazon itself starts selling the 400s so I can try it and return it hassle free if I don't like it.

Just picked up the X2 today during the prime sale, but I have a feeling I will be returning them for the exact reasons you stated.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #5,260 of 15,268
  I do not experience the 2 negatives that you mentioned. I also have HD600, and I prefer X2, for it has better extension on both ends with better sound stage and the sound  is very natural and musical. Probably, the sound is also affected by other factors, e.g. DAC (Anediol D2), HP Amp (Gustard H10), and genre of music played (Mainly Classical Music). I also like my HD600. 

I use my Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite CD player and Matrix M-Stage headphone amplifier with Fidelio X2. I listen mainly to jazz and classical with X2.

X2 sounds darker than HD600 and while it has more bass and also more defined bass I feel that the bass on X2 influences the rest of the frequency spectrum (and colors it) in quite an unnatural way.  

The treble is less defined on X2 which makes some instruments sound artificial. Brush on a snare drum sounds more life-like and true through HD600. Cymbals sound also mole true to life with HD600. A single violin (Bach solo suites), and violin sections in an orchestra tend to get a synthetic sound on X2. 

I had huge expectations on X2 after reading so many positive reviews. Maybe something is wrong with the pair I have?

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #5,261 of 15,268
What amp are you using?

Not sure what that song is supposed to sound like. But it sounds great. Tidal>Element>X2

Is it just me or do they sound better if you have them far forward on your ears?
basshead.gif

I use Matrix M-Stage and listen mainly to acoustic music (Classical and jazz) so the naturalness of sound is very important to me. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #5,262 of 15,268

I use my Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite CD player and Matrix M-Stage headphone amplifier with Fidelio X2. I listen mainly to jazz and classical with X2.

X2 sounds darker than HD600 and while it has more bass and also more defined bass I feel that the bass on X2 influences the rest of the frequency spectrum (and colors it) in quite an unnatural way.  

The treble is less defined on X2 which makes some instruments sound artificial. Brush on a snare drum sounds more life-like and true through HD600. Cymbals sound also mole true to life with HD600. A single violin (Bach solo suites), and violin sections in an orchestra tend to get a synthetic sound on X2. 

I had huge expectations on X2 after reading so many positive reviews. Maybe something is wrong with the pair I have?

The Matrix M-Stage has an output impedance of 5 Ohms which might be a bit too high for the X2s, it should be at least 8 times lower than the headphone impedance (See "damping factor"). If the damping factor is too low you might get an additionally boosted and somewhat bloated bass. The Fidelio X1 and X2 are sensitive to this.

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #5,263 of 15,268

The Matrix M-Stage has an output impedance of 5 Ohms which might be a bit too high for the X2s, it should be at least 8 times lower than the headphone impedance (See "damping factor"). If the damping factor is too low you might get an additionally boosted and somewhat bloated bass. The Fidelio X1 and X2 are sensitive to this.

Yeah, thanks, I also thought about that. And that is probably the explanation for what I am hearing. I will do a more critical listening directly from my SACD-player which has a lower output impedance.

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #5,264 of 15,268

Yes, be sure to try another amp. I heard a vast improvement after switching from 10ohm to 0.1ohm.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #5,265 of 15,268
Yes, be sure to try another amp. I heard a vast improvement after switching from 10ohm to 0.1ohm.

I switched to the headphone output of my SACD-player (Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite). I don't know what the output impedance on this one is but I feel a great improvement in sound. The sound is tighter and more focused. I believe that an amp like O2 would be a perfect match for X2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back