Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 3, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #5,176 of 15,268
Thats spot on ^^^

The X2 wasn't love at first sight..I've grown to love the thing. It so musical which many headphones are missing these days. As a gamer, soundstsge is so important and the HE-560 for sure does not have a wider soundstage. Comparable for sure. If you look at the term end game, it means a final headphone they can live with. The X2 doesn't do anything wrong..Audeze LCD-2 had a darkness and lacked air. HD800 is articfical and aggressive up top! The X2 has non of that.

If I had a chance to swap my X2 for the 560 I would turn it down. The X2 has a much more organic toneality.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #5,177 of 15,268
If you like bass you'd be better off with the x2. The he-560 will give you deeper extension but it won't be as 'fun'. Soundstage performance def goes to the 560. It throws a larger stage. For the price difference the X2 is def more value for money though...

Jul 4, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #5,178 of 15,268
If you like bass you'd be better off with the x2. The he-560 will give you deeper extension but it won't be as 'fun'. Soundstage performance def goes to the 560. It throws a larger stage. For the price difference the X2 is def more value for money though...

Out of all the things planar magnetics are known to be good for, I didn't think soundstage was one of them. And from what I've read about HiFiMan headphones below the HE-560 the Philips Fidelio X2 should have a larger soundstage. Not sure about the 560, I've read up on it the least since it's out of my price range.

I've listened to the K712 and R70x, and the X2 has the best balance of fun and soundstage in comparison so it's the better all-rounder. I've used the AD700 for years and transitioning to the X2's soundstage is no problem at all. People often say the AKG K/Q7 and Audio-Technica AD series of headphones has a much more spacious soundstage than the X2. But I have to disagree somewhat, the difference isn't night and day, but I can definitely tell. I'd probably notice the extra brightness first, not the soundstage. Still, I could continue to use the X2's and never feel like I need more soundstage. Sound direction and distance in gaming and movies is a piece of cake with these headphones and nobody should be discouraged when reading soundstage comparisons like I was.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #5,179 of 15,268
I can only speak to my HE-500's sound stage as I don't have first hand experience with other ortho's. It's soundstage depth is only bested by my T1.  The X2 (also own) bests the HE-500 in width but not depth.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #5,181 of 15,268
  It's weird. But when I hear bass lines that pound fast and short like that, it makes me have to poop. Seriously. Weird... I know.

Back on topic. I placed an order for X2's on the 2nd from 'Murica. Still says

"Not yet shipped

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

I have X1's coming in. Am now using HD558's and the mid range is too much. It sounds echoey and hollow at times. HD600 was perfection. Hopefully the Philips sound decent. I'd love more bass. DT990 bass sounds like I have my subwoofer on at times with my receiver. :D

I was reading thorough this since I recently bought the X2s to mix it up a bit and came by this comment.  You and I would be good friends.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #5,182 of 15,268
  I was reading thorough this since I recently bought the X2s to mix it up a bit and came by this comment.  You and I would be good friends.

LOL. I instantly skip every song that has fast short basslines in them. Seems like majority of chill/ambient music has it but I love the smooth and soothing vocals of that genre. AiC unplugged has some good bass for Rock. Pretty much have to resort to Decaf zips for my bass needs in the car. :)

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #5,183 of 15,268
I'm still testing out my Philips Fidelio X2's and I have to say for all the talk about how bass-heavy these headphones are I'm a little disappointed. I read in reviews about how the bass is powerful or dominating, but to me it's just there. It doesn't creep over the rest of the sound or have a lot of power at any point, and I can just barely feel any rumble during the deepest sounds. I'd hesitate to call it above neutral bass.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't find this to be a bad thing and it makes the headphones more balanced to me. But these headphones don't sound as bassy as I was led to believe.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #5,184 of 15,268
Has anyone directly compared the Fidelio X2 to the Beyer DT990 600-Ohm?

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #5,185 of 15,268
  I'm still testing out my Philips Fidelio X2's and I have to say for all the talk about how bass-heavy these headphones are I'm a little disappointed. I read in reviews about how the bass is powerful or dominating, but to me it's just there. It doesn't creep over the rest of the sound or have a lot of power at any point, and I can just barely feel any rumble during the deepest sounds. I'd hesitate to call it above neutral bass.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't find this to be a bad thing and it makes the headphones more balanced to me. But these headphones don't sound as bassy as I was led to believe.

This is why people need to listen for theirself and not take any review for 100%. We all hear and perceive defferently. I for one would not want any more bass as it is.
I would take better quality bass then what they have, but thats for a different discussion.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #5,187 of 15,268
   Yeahh, the X2 is a can for basshead audiophiles. And I guess basshead audiophiles want less bass than regular bassheads...so they can actually hear the rest of the music. Actually, it's weird because the X2 has more mid-bass quantity than the M50, yet it has less recessed mids. I wonder how much bass it would take to really bury the other frequencies.
   Just don't forget that this is an open, dynamic headphone. It has much more bass than almost all of the competition! I'm sure you could EQ it for even more bass, if that's what you're after. It's best to start more neutral-ish, then tune the sound to fit you.

I also wonder how the X2 compares to the DT-990, another can with a U-Shaped sound signature. I'm betting that the X2 has moar bass.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #5,188 of 15,268
New camera. Noob "photographer." Thought I'd leave this here since it's relevant. 
cool.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #5,189 of 15,268
   Yeahh, the X2 is a can for basshead audiophiles. And I guess basshead audiophiles want less bass than regular bassheads...so they can actually hear the rest of the music. Actually, it's weird because the X2 has more mid-bass quantity than the M50, yet it has less recessed mids. I wonder how much bass it would take to really bury the other frequencies.
   Just don't forget that this is an open, dynamic headphone. It has much more bass than almost all of the competition! I'm sure you could EQ it for even more bass, if that's what you're after. It's best to start more neutral-ish, then tune the sound to fit you.

I also wonder how the X2 compares to the DT-990, another can with a U-Shaped sound signature. I'm betting that the X2 has moar bass.
The X2 isn't U shaped in the slightest.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #5,190 of 15,268
You just discovered the review bias problem Draulius.

Most of the detailed reviews are being made by audiophiles. Audiophiles respect reference headphones.
The masses either don't review, or don't say much; general comments on high build quality etc.

From a audiophile perspective, any hint bass in the X2 is exaggerated - "In an open back really?!"
Masses upgrading to the X2 (from your Beats Pro / iem) the bass has gone missing - "What's an open back?"

Good news is, your ears will train to become bass sensitive in time, I suggest you give it that time.

After then, weigh up if the particular bass balance in the X2 is a benefit, or a negative to your listening enjoyment. There's no correct answer to this, it's all subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back