Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 2, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,821 of 15,268
  I hate Sia's music... So irritating.

Good female vocal:

Pretty sure no one asked you and I'd beg to differ on your opinion of a good female vocal. But to each their own.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2,823 of 15,268
Hi,
I had exactly same with mine bought somewhere else than Amazon. I was really puzzled, since swapping them around ( right speaker to left ear ) would result in same bias of female vocals on the left. Can anyone explain this? 

For short while I was thinking it's just my head, realising vocals on the left side. But then I've put on Bose QC15 and this issue wasn't present.
Finally I have ordered another pair from Amazon. I did blind comparison tests and I was unable to find the difference between X2 sets.
However each time I was using new set for longer period of time the vocals seemed correctly in the middle, whilst listening old pair had this left bias.
In the end I've returned old pair with me suspecting some kind of fault in it.

On the burn in processes. I'm new to the the headphone/music scene and had no reason to believe the process or not.
However the new X2 pair was worst sounding pair it the department of bass and some vocals. There was harshness to them.
However after 10h of burning in they significantly improved and I had clear comparison of this in A/B listening.
Now the new pair have around 50h on the clock and to me now sounds exactly same as the old X2 I had.

All testing done on same cable.

Hope I help somebody.
Thanks 

I have a replacement pair on order from Amazon, but won't get them until they get them back in stock.
I am still enjoying my current pair very much, but the very slight channel imbalance can be sort of distracting at times.
Hoping the next pair will be normal.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #2,824 of 15,268
Female vocals: within temptation. That gal can sing - too bad their recordings are such low quality.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,827 of 15,268
  I default to Sade and occasionally Norah Jones for my female vocal fix...

Yeah, Sade is good. Love this song:

And this good 'ol classic from Pheobe Snow shows off some nice vocals as well (oddly enough, this was the best recording of the song I could find on youtube):

Both sound awesome through my imaginary X2's lol!

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #2,829 of 15,268
I'm over 100 hours into listening to these, and I'm in love with them. Listening with a Fulla Schiit out of a Macbook Pro, mostly with Deezer high-quality (CD-level) streaming, which is great, other than the omission of certain artists and labels (Thrill Jockey especially). The brightness that I complained about initially has either dissipated from burn-in or my brain/ears have adjusted, but overall these are some of the best-sounding transducers I've ever listened to. They have incredible soundstage and imaging, massive reserves of bass, and don't seem to exhibit any real weaknesses. They sound fabulous with the Fulla Schiit but are also terrific directly out of my iPhone 6. I replaced the stock cord with a MediaBridge 4 ft cable because the stock cable is so long. Perhaps just as important, they're *insanely* comfortable, and I can keep them on my fat head nearly all day long at my desk without fatigue. I find myself hanging out longer at my desk than I'd otherwise do. I'll probably get fatter as a result.

Someone asked for songs that sound particularly good with these cans. Some of my "reference" tracks don't sound quite as gorgeous as I'd like (Steely Dan still seems a little bright for me), but here are some tracks that really shine for me on the X2s:

Caribou: Can't Do Without You - www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI2Et19vDCM - If the production on this song doesn't send chills down your spine, you may not have a spine to begin with. This track is complex and lush, and develops and opens up like a flower, the soundstage expanding and swirling around you. Amazing stuff.

Steve Lehman Quintet: ArtificialLight - Any track on this record shows off the athleticism of the X2s. Almost all of Lehman's stuff bounces around with complex movements and improvisation, but this one just burns with intensity. Drum imaging is tight and accurate, the bass pops and slaps like you're sitting next to it, and the horns sound sweet and smooth (they're actually further back in the mix than you'd expect).

D'Angelo: Ain't That Easy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZoxdPGu_4E - Like the Caribou track, this one expands as you listen to it; it's got this strange, almost oppressively bass-heavy claustrophobia at first, then it opens up with crazy vocal overdubs that dance around your head and funky guitar licks that pop up all over the sound stage. It's incredibly dense production and could easily turn to mud on less accurate cans. I can't even imagine how much weed went into the production of this record.

A few others, briefly: The Clash: London Calling - This remaster sounds incredible on the X2s. Destroyer: Kaputt - Another fabulously produced record with beautiful horns, swirling synths and spacious, beautiful imaging; a real gem. Run the Jewels - Oh My Darling Don't Cry: The X2s have no problem with any hip-hop, but El-P's production is always dense and challenging, and this track has that same expanding sound stage that these headphones seem to excel at presenting (not to mention noggin-shredding bass).

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #2,830 of 15,268
I'm listening to the X2s out of the Fulla too! Really love the combination. I replaced the cable with a DIYed 8-core OCC copper cable.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #2,832 of 15,268
I wonder how these sound with Vorzüge Pure II... Anybody tried that combination?

I have and at the moment is by far my favorite pairing.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #2,833 of 15,268
Am I missing something in not feeling THAT MUCH difference between my DT770 and X2 ? 
I mean, it's very obvious that theres some more air on X2 and the bass is more.. imponent but in general terms, I can't hear too much difference. 
Maybe coming from a non- v-shape the change is more sensitive. 

I'm planning to get a magni 2, it will be good on both low impedance phones but, so far I've tried, the DT770 seems to bright more when amped than the X2.
It's like the X2 is good as you get it but the DTs to get real good they need some juice. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #2,834 of 15,268
Dt770 sound different to me, the recessed mids are probably what I am noticing compared to x2. The dt880,though, to me make the x2 sound dark and even veiled. The x2 just is not nearly as revealing and detailed as the dt880.

Oops,i just said a bad thing about the x2. I hope lightening doesn't strike me....

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #2,835 of 15,268
Dt770 sound different to me, the recessed mids are probably what I am noticing compared to x2. The dt880,though, to me make the x2 sound dark and even veiled. The x2 just is not nearly as revealing and detailed as the dt880.

Oops,i just said a bad thing about the x2. I hope lightening doesn't strike me....

I tried a DT880 and found the imaging better than X2, but it was too freaking high for me to get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back