Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 30, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,996 of 15,268

Good review. Loving my X2, more so after 150+ hours use.

had mine a few days and have been using them with the i basso dx50 , what is your main source for music
not sure the dx50 is up to it imho im not using an amp either .
do you think they could perform better with something else like a desktop rig or a good tube amp dac combo.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,997 of 15,268
Managed to listen to a few songs on the X2. Imaging is excellent. Really good out of a dx90+c5 combo

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,998 of 15,268
Damn, the bass in Angel by Massive Attack sounds so good on the X2s. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,000 of 15,268
  had mine a few days and have been using them with the i basso dx50 , what is your main source for music
do you think they could perform better with something else like a desktop rig or a good tube amp dac combo.

The Geekout came out top for sound quality in a recent group test with the X2.  

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2,002 of 15,268

I haven't tried dx50 but I have Meridian Explorer2 which is an amazing pairing for X2. They sound awesome together. Explorer2 has Meridian house sound, smooth, fluid and musical. I don't like Sabre dacs (such as Geekout) as I find them to be dry and analytical. They have detail but at the same time they lack musicality.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #2,005 of 15,268
Here's a random question for those who have the X2.

Would you say that the lettering around the ring is white or creamy in color?  

Mine (X2/00 from Europe) are kind of creamy in color but all the pics I've seen suggest they're kind of white.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2,006 of 15,268
I saw that comparison - don't really fancy that kind of marketing tactic, despite the LH Geek seemingly being a very good DAC.

But Head1 is mentioning a group test with the X2, is the X2 mentioned in that comparison? (can't find link right now)

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,007 of 15,268

Mine (X2/00 from Europe) are kind of creamy in color but all the pics I've seen suggest they're kind of white.

It looks silver to me. Bought from Amazon Italy.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #2,008 of 15,268

I'd say it's silver. Which means the perceived color can vary from white to that creamy, depending on color temperature from light reflecting on the lettering.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,009 of 15,268
Hello folks!

This is my first time here. I just received a pair of X2s this afternoon. This is my first semi-serious set of earphones. (I'm coming from Sennheiser PX100s, aka budget tier.) I live in an apartment with people above and below me. That prohibits me from using my receivers/speakers/subs at anything other than a low volume, so I thought that maybe it was time to invest in some slightly nicer headphones. I had almost made up my mind to go with the Senn 598s at one point, but decided to pull the trigger on the X2s after reading a lot here and watching some reviews on youtube.

Been listening to these for a couple of hours now...to say that they're a step up from the PX100s would be an understatement. I'm hearing subtle things in familiar tracks that I've never noticed before, and the overall clarity is beautiful. The thing that surprised me the most about them was the bass...it's so heavy that I actually had to lower that end of the EQ to stop it from overpowering everything else. If the bass is even heavier on the X1s, I can't even imagine! Needless to say, I am not a bass head, although I appreciate it being deep and full when called for by the source material. I may test listening to FLAC files later, but right now my music is 320K mp3 so that my entire collection can fit onto a 32GB microSD card.

The stock cable is way too long for my purposes, so I grabbed one of these: http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B00DI89Z8E/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=15M2H1YEQCP1B0EG2WBM Happy to report that it sounds identical.

I went into this knowing that I might also need to invest in a portable amp (I have 2 Yamaha home theater receivers, but most of my listening will be done on an Android tablet with PowerAmp.) I can't say that I'm really leaning in that direction after listening to the X2s. With the volume slightly over 50%, it's as loud as I would ever want it to be, and it sounds good enough that I'm asking myself why I'd bother spending more on an amp. I guess the one reason would be if they drained the tablet's battery a lot faster than the PX100s did...we'll see how that goes.

The only complaint I have right out of the gate is the comfort. The earpads are very comfortable to me, but this headset is clamping in on the sides of my head too hard and giving me a headache. Hopefully, it will lessen as these get broken in, or I can try to stretch it out a little. They are a little heavy, but I think I'll get used to the feeling.

Overall, the X2s seem to offer a lot of bang-for-the-buck, assuming that I can do something about the clamping pressure. I'm glad that I went with these...thanks for all the info that helped me make this decision!

P.S. No leaking alien fluids thus far. I will report any abductions, probes, etc promptly if they occur.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,010 of 15,268

I haven't tried dx50 but I have Meridian Explorer2 which is an amazing pairing for X2. They sound awesome together. Explorer2 has Meridian house sound, smooth, fluid and musical. I don't like Sabre dacs (such as Geekout) as I find them to be dry and analytical. They have detail but at the same time they lack musicality.

Has anyone paired X2 with ifi Micro or Nano iDSD? I am on the verge of buying Micro but would like some first hand opinions.

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back